ForumsNews and FeedbackNew Rating System

57 21600
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I noticed a new rating system in ShellShock Live 2. Here's a screenshot:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee400/Patrick2011b/Images%20for%20Armor%20Games/NewRatingSystem_zpsc2a243d1.png

It looks like the x/10 rating system no longer applies, but there is only a up or down vote with a big number in the middle currently corresponding to the average rating in the previous system.

• 57 Replies
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

I hate to say it, but I think the community by abusing the old system, has brought this upon ourselves. It's clear the administration has numbers that the community just doesn't see. I know there was abusing going on before but it's going to be worse now.

Take for example, Kingdom Rush. Everyone loves that game and thinks it's a 10. Ok, what about their new game? It's a fun game, but because the title alone a lot of people rated it 10. Even though it's the same game as the previous one. Just a little different maps. But overall, really, kind of disappointing. (imo) But does that merit a 10? No, So rate it 6 or 7. The sound, the art, the game play is wonderful but at least for me it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. [this is just an example] With this new rating system I'm forced to give it a thumbs down even though it really doesn't deserve it but only because it doesn't deserve a thumbs up. What a mess.

A lot of people stated it and I can't iterate it enough. If the game has one problem, it's getting a thumbs down.

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

Ok, last post I promise and I'll be quiet.

Maybe there could be a voting system for veteran's of the site. Something that means a little more than what the general public would vote. Something like a prestige rating or something. Where veterans of the site could cast a 1 through 10 or 1 through 5, for example only. And give feedback as well.

This might promote longevity in the membership and site as well. If someone stayed long enough and active enough in good standing they could be offered a vet status or something of the like.

Instead of just complaining about the new system, I try to bring an idea to the table. Whatever happens, good luck; have fun!

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Maybe there could be a voting system for veteran's of the site.

I think this idea is alright, but what constitutes who is and who isn't a veteran?
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

I think this idea is alright, but what constitutes who is and who isn't a veteran?

Honestly, I do not know. I was just throwing it out as some type of suggestion.

It's highly doubtful they will change anything for a long time. A lot of thought was put into it and they stated their reasons. While I disagree with it, for the majority of people, it works.
Alcoholic
Alcoholic
1 posts
Shepherd

Noticing the new system, I immediately decided I would come and post a one page rant saying how it's bad, and all that. But I see that pretty much everything I intended to say, has already been said, and better than I could, even.

So I'll just leave with this:
Please, no facebook-esque like/dislike bollocks. It's a bad system. Being everywhere makes it even worse.

I'll also probably adblock the game stats section now, so that I don't have to look at it.

letgodsortthem
letgodsortthem
84 posts
Scribe

All hail the dumbing down of the modern mind by limiting choices.

Creativity isn't dead, but it's being kicked whilst down and badly needs a defibrillatory shock.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

While we're listening to everybody's feedback, at this time though we'll be sticking with the new rating system. Statistically, voting has been far more fair and balanced across the board.

letgodsortthem
letgodsortthem
84 posts
Scribe

Duly noted, SIr Ferret.

I might ask.... fair and balanced as compared to what?

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@letgodsortthem Compared to our previous system, you can read my past comments in this thread to see what I mean.

@MattEmAngel This is true, however in this instance your data is flawed since statistically speaking people that enjoy or don't care either way about a feature don't voice their opinion, while those that are upset about it do.

Ultimately, what is fair for the rating of the game is of the highest importance in this matter.

Kulmegil_
Kulmegil_
35 posts
Herald

I think new system is brilliant and I hope it will get extended. Final game score should also be presented in a binary way - make it red/green label for "bad/good" game. Those big numbers makes my head dizzy.

My opinion is unreliable because I rarely speak here and If I do it's probably because I like to complain

Kostyazz
Kostyazz
3 posts
Shepherd

I think the new system is much worse than the old one. But I accept your arguments for it, so let's try to get used to...
At least, it needs some button in the middle to say when you think the game is "OK", but want not to raise nor lower its rating. So, as I think clicking this button will slowly move the rating to 50, which is fair enough (no one likes to leave played game unrated, especially if he has an opinion - so it turns '6' mark into '10', and '4' mark into '1', which is not good...)

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Honestly, I don't like the new rating system. I think the new system will inflate game scores and I think that is done to increase ad views and ad revenue (low scored games get avoided, which means less page and ad views). Although, the front page has a large range of scores right now, so it might prove me otherwise. I still think it's all in the marketing, hence why YouTube did away with it's five star system (to increase video views). If there was just one middle ground option it would be nice.

Akatsuki_Kojou
Akatsuki_Kojou
199 posts
Viceroy

i don't know about the ads but, I really do think a third option would be nice. It's pretty much impossible to rate every game only up or down. I haven't played many games so far, still there were quite a few that I liked or disliked clearly. Yet every now and then, I end up playing a game which I find to be quite good but not enough to like or even dislike it. Even if a rating system of 5 or 10 stars is not used, I really could do with an option to rate it as average at the very least. Since it leaves you with a bad taste regardless of what you choose.

lucylund
lucylund
2 posts
Peasant

I don't get it. I can only rate up or down now? Well, I dislike that!
Looks like facebook. I hope my voting doesnt get transfered to facebook? Is that ONLY Armor games rating? I sure hope so! I dont want ... likes whatever game spread all over all social media! Please answer!

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I don't get it. I can only rate up or down now? Well, I dislike that!
Looks like facebook. I hope my voting doesnt get transfered to facebook? Is that ONLY Armor games rating? I sure hope so! I dont want ... likes whatever game spread all over all social media! Please answer!

Overreact much? It's just a rating system it's not really any different compared to the old rating system and you're complaining that it looks like Facebooks which again, is just overreacting.

Showing 31-45 of 57