Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

New Point System

Posted Mar 9, '14 at 8:03pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,425 posts

Knight

Personally I'm not sure if there is an ideal system out there, but I'm partial to some sort of "x posts" Quests.

This could work, but it could also have a bit of an odd effect. If you had a quest for, say, 100 posts, 500 posts, 1,000 posts, 2,500 posts, 5,000 posts, and 10,000 posts, it would hardly make a difference on the leaderboard. The top two on the Hero Board, currently @Gantic and @MrDayCee, would only be higher up, while the other people up there who don't post often would only have a longer way to go. 500 posts is not something you can do in a couple weeks; at least, not anymore. You really have to commit to being an active member of the community, and the people who choose to do that will generally not be the same people who want to earn every quest they can.

There's no reason to award points for games submitted, either, because I've yet to see a developer who has earned more than a few quests and posts regularly in the forums.

That, and the fact that I'm sure no developer has ever created an entire game just to earn 20 points on one site.

A basic working point system would involve forum posts, merits, and quests.

This is an idea I can get behind, but of course the values would have to be changed so that neither the hardcore quest-ers nor the extreme forum-a-holics would have a significant advantage over the other group. If forum posts are set at one point, an easy quest could be set at, say, 100 points, while medium could be set at around 250 and hard could be around 500. The values may be a bit high, as they're only placeholders for an example, but something along those lines would work as a sufficient point system.

As for legacy quests, they would count for less than regular quests, but ideally they would increase in value as they got higher in rank (i.e. Wood Serf - 25 points, Iron Serf - 50 points, Gold Serf - 100 points, Wood Squire - 150, etc.).

My memory is bad but wasn't it at the very beginning of 2013 that quests came out?

January 17, 2013

There's no date on that page, unfortunately. You'll have to take my word for it.

Posted Mar 9, '14 at 9:33pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

6,812 posts

But we welcome feedback!

I love that as I'm reading through... We've been giving tons of feedback yet nothing has come about.

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 4:16pm

gh0sts

gh0sts

888 posts

This is an idea I can get behind, but of course the values would have to be changed so that neither the hardcore quest-ers nor the extreme forum-a-holics would have a significant advantage over the other group. If forum posts are set at one point, an easy quest could be set at, say, 100 points, while medium could be set at around 250 and hard could be around 500.

This would work for a while, but eventually there would be so many quests that the amount of points awarded for quests would completely overshadow the points awarded for posts, and quest-earners who are active in the community would have little to no advantage over quest-earners who don't post at all.

Posted Mar 12, '14 at 4:42am

DrElmer

DrElmer

487 posts

This is an idea I can get behind, but of course the values would have to be changed so that neither the hardcore quest-ers nor the extreme forum-a-holics would have a significant advantage over the other group. If forum posts are set at one point, an easy quest could be set at, say, 100 points, while medium could be set at around 250 and hard could be around 500.

Well of course. Setting quests and posts at the same values would defeat the purpose of having the quests in the first place. The entire system would be based off posts, and the games themselves would be left out of the whole thing.

I love that as I'm reading through... We've been giving tons of feedback yet nothing has come about.

Where in the hell did you find that quote about feedback?

Posted Mar 12, '14 at 5:33pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,425 posts

Knight

This would work for a while, but eventually there would be so many quests that the amount of points awarded for quests would completely overshadow the points awarded for posts, and quest-earners who are active in the community would have little to no advantage over quest-earners who don't post at all.

It doesn't really matter how many quests there are. Yes, it's true that someone with 1,500 quests and 0 posts will have significantly more points than someone with 10,000 posts and no quests, but that would be just one case of two extremes. That user with 1,500 quests and 0 posts would be at a disadvantage compared to a user with the same amount of quests and a much higher post count.

The system would be fairly well balanced because it would favor users who not only perform well in games, but are also active in the community. Earning quests would rank you up more quickly, but you wouldn't be able to get to the top without being an active member of the community.

Posted Mar 14, '14 at 12:13am

CherryCoke360

CherryCoke360

415 posts

If there is a system, will it be entirely based on quests including new types of quests or will there be other features?

Posted Mar 14, '14 at 7:50pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

6,812 posts

Where in the hell did you find that quote about feedback?

Click Ernie's January 17, 2013 link to get there and see this.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7349/xhc8.png
and here it is pointed out for you.
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/6667/vq3n.png

Reply to New Point System

You must be logged in to post a reply!