ForumsThe TavernOutlook on Life

10 3534
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Optimist/Pessimist/Realist/Others? Which are you? A half-empty glass sop in the mud or half-full cheery fellow?

Personally I'm a slight pessimist. If things don't go my way, at least I'm expecting it, and if they do, I'm extra happy! Course, I'm not one of them misanthropic, brooding types. A dash of realism in there somewhere. I like having optimists around me since it makes me feel livelier and happier, but I just don't share their sentiments....

• 10 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I assume worst case senario so that if it happens then I expected it. If it doesn't then I am happy. I think that makes me a pessimist.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Rationalist/determinist/naturalist/moral nihilist/extreme skeptic. What this means in terms of emotional bias is anyone's guess. Is there a way to gauge this bias without invoking the hypothetical glass?

I assume worst case senario so that if it happens then I expected it. If it doesn't then I am happy. I think that makes me a pessimist.

To me, this just means you're mentally well-prepared.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Personally, I'm fairly pessimistic. That isn't to say I'm a downer, in fact I enjoy the crappy thins in life. I think they make things fun, make things interesting.

When talking with my friends about their lives and the sort, I am quite optimistic.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

My outlook on life could be seen as both optimistic and pessimistic. I have hope that things will eventually get better, but at the same time, I know they won't, and that doesn't bother me at all.

I suppose you could rank me as an indifferent nihilist. I don't really believe life has any purpose, but at the same time, I really don't care whether it does or not.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Or maybe just a good old fashioned realist Ernie with his feet firmly in the ground?

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

I tend to be mostly optimistic, and I keep a reasonably good attitude even when things don't go as planned. Even the bad things happen for a reason. That must be the Hawaiian in me.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I try and set my expectations low while thinking, "Ah, since I've set my expectations low I'll get a good result!"
I tried.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Or maybe just a good old fashioned realist Ernie with his feet firmly in the ground?

A realist who acknowledges his fate based on his surroundings, but chooses to do nothing about it because of the effect it may or may not have.

So more like a realist with his feet buried in the sand.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Apathetic I suppose? But on the same level I do what I enjoy and only what I believe will be beneficial to me, so I guess that would be on the verge of existentialism? But on another note, I believe helping others will help me, so I'm not sure.

CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

I think I have a pretty chill outlook on life.. i'm not quick to judge anyone, and I laugh at problems in the face instead of complaining about them and letting them get to my head.

Showing 1-10 of 10