ForumsNews and FeedbackFew forum little improvements suggestions

17 34245
sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

Hey, once more and again, Armorgamers brothers!

Here are some things that just came through my mind that could be added while surfing some other community.
Note: Their purpose is not to improve the performance/utility of the forum, just little miscellaneous things that make something a little nicer.

- A mood status. Something that a user could select to appear under his name. Like "Feeling Lucky!" or "Feeling Happy!" or "Excited". You got the idea.
- Emoticons! Really, who doesn't like them? *prepares for a wave of "I don't!" comments*. Not too many, but the basic ones like :3 :| could, I think, be created, for the visual aesthetic of the forum
- The post Appreciation button as I suggested not so long ago.
- A Table bbcode? I really do not know whether we can build a table by HTML or not, but I really doubt html isn't filtered in the comments. A table would be really nice to have.

And that's all for now. I also wanted to suggest the "Edit" button for posts but it's been kicked away so, yeah, I guess it won't get added any soon.

I also have some ideas for over-all site improvements and features to be added but I have to think over them as some of them are just personal wishes that I'd love to see added to a website.

Cheers!

• 17 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

These are all features that can be found in forums using manufactured forum engines such as forumotion or proboards. All of the coding and such required for any of these features has already been built into the forum engine, so it doesn't matter if anyone uses it or not since it's already there anyway.

AG's forum, however, is custom-built, so of course every new feature added must be created from scratch. If it's a feature that the admins feel would benefit the community as a whole, they will make it happen, but if it's something like table BBCode that would create more problems than it would solve, it's almost certainly a no-go. The last thing we need is a BBCode button nobody knows how to use intuitively.

[table]What is this buttan foar??!1 z0mg[/table]

Not to mention that the people who would know how to use it properly wouldn't use it at all 99.9% of the time. There's just no need for it. The only person I've ever seen make an actual table and post it in the forums is @ivanxxxxxxx, and he seems to make them perfectly fine without onsite table BBCode.

The only one of these suggestions I could actually see a use for would be the post appreciation button, and even then you would have to be very careful how to go about creating such a massive community feature. There's absolutely no need for a mood status feature, as every one of us has been gifted with an About section on our profiles. All you have to do is put in "Mood: ______" and you're set.

As has been said with emoticons, the site would look very messy and chaotic if it was clogged up with little yellow smiling blobs that serve no purpose whatsoever. @gh0sts has pointed out that, if you really feel it necessary, you can create your own emoticons using your keyboard that get the same point across, whatever point that may be, and it looks much better than annoyling little orbs scattered all over every thread.

sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

These are all features that can be found in forums using manufactured forum engines such as forumotion or proboards. All of the coding and such required for any of these features has already been built into the forum engine, so it doesn't matter if anyone uses it or not since it's already there anyway.

AG's forum, however, is custom-built, so of course every new feature added must be created from scratch. If it's a feature that the admins feel would benefit the community as a whole, they will make it happen, but if it's something like table BBCode that would create more problems than it would solve, it's almost certainly a no-go. The last thing we need is a BBCode button nobody knows how to use intuitively.

I'm totally aware of this and I do realize AG is custom built.

Well I did not say these are must-have features, these are just things that came through my mind and wanted to know what you guys think about.

Thanks for the positive and negative feedback.
Cheers ~
Showing 16-17 of 17