pangtongshu

9,919 posts

Do we need the ability to make tables?

Posted Mar 10, '14 at 8:01pm

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

1,919 posts

- A mood status.

I will support this only if the options include indifferent, stoic, or disdainful.

- Emoticons!

Not without the option of disabling them once and never seeing any trace of them again.

- The post Appreciation button as I suggested not so long ago.

I have no objection to this, but I don't see it being very helpful.

- A Table bbcode?

I can find no conceivable use for such a thing in a forum.

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 1:15am

sinhellsing

sinhellsing

362 posts

Not without the option of disabling them once and never seeing any trace of them again.

That's the most positive negative opinion I've seen in a while!

I have no objection to this, but I don't see it being very helpful.
Well, yeah, but instead of replying and just writing something to thank whoever helped you or posted something interesting unless you got something to say from your side, it's good to show a little token of appreciation.

I can find no conceivable use for such a thing in a forum.

There could be many uses for it but in the same time none; It would be nice for the aesthetic of a post where you have to do comparisons or just categorize some things.

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 3:58pm

gh0sts

gh0sts

888 posts

the basic ones like :3 :| could, I think, be created, for the visual aesthetic of the forum

If you consider disorderly, childish and unprofessional-looking to be a visual aesthetic, then you're right.

As you've demonstrated in that quote, you already can make basic emoticons with plain text. Notice how few of those you see in these forums. It doesn't look like AG is an emoticon-loving community.

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 6:34pm

sinhellsing

sinhellsing

362 posts

As you've demonstrated in that quote, you already can make basic emoticons with plain text. Notice how few of those you see in these forums. It doesn't look like AG is an emoticon-loving community.

That's probably the best counter-argument I've ever received. Well I guess it's up to the personal opinion of everybody. Probably it would turn childish and unprofessional, probably not.

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 6:38pm

blk2860

blk2860

10,796 posts

- Emoticons! Really, who doesn't like them? *prepares for a wave of "I don't!" comments*.

I don't.

- A mood status. Something that a user could select to appear under his name. Like "Feeling Lucky!" or "Feeling Happy!" or "Excited". You got the idea.

You should have either this OR emoticons, not both. Preferably this one.

- A Table bbcode? I really do not know whether we can build a table by HTML or not, but I really doubt html isn't filtered in the comments. A table would be really nice to have.

No. Just no.

And that's all for now. I also wanted to suggest the "Edit" button for posts but it's been kicked away so, yeah, I guess it won't get added any soon.

The edit button is the only suggestion you've made that I truly agree with.

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 6:40pm

blk2860

blk2860

10,796 posts

I will support this only if the options include indifferent, stoic, or disdainful.

Don't forget lethargic, pessimistic, and irritable. (This wasn't sarcasm, I agree with you.)

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 6:48pm

minecraftsniper

minecraftsniper

613 posts

Also the faces can be made by pressing the buttons we want no need here to be emoticons or this will turn into facbook or something else

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 8:19pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,423 posts

Knight

These are all features that can be found in forums using manufactured forum engines such as forumotion or proboards. All of the coding and such required for any of these features has already been built into the forum engine, so it doesn't matter if anyone uses it or not since it's already there anyway.

AG's forum, however, is custom-built, so of course every new feature added must be created from scratch. If it's a feature that the admins feel would benefit the community as a whole, they will make it happen, but if it's something like table BBCode that would create more problems than it would solve, it's almost certainly a no-go. The last thing we need is a BBCode button nobody knows how to use intuitively.

[table]What is this buttan foar??!1 z0mg[/table]

Not to mention that the people who would know how to use it properly wouldn't use it at all 99.9% of the time. There's just no need for it. The only person I've ever seen make an actual table and post it in the forums is @ivanxxxxxxx, and he seems to make them perfectly fine without onsite table BBCode.

The only one of these suggestions I could actually see a use for would be the post appreciation button, and even then you would have to be very careful how to go about creating such a massive community feature. There's absolutely no need for a mood status feature, as every one of us has been gifted with an About section on our profiles. All you have to do is put in "Mood: ______" and you're set.

As has been said with emoticons, the site would look very messy and chaotic if it was clogged up with little yellow smiling blobs that serve no purpose whatsoever. @gh0sts has pointed out that, if you really feel it necessary, you can create your own emoticons using your keyboard that get the same point across, whatever point that may be, and it looks much better than annoyling little orbs scattered all over every thread.

Posted Mar 12, '14 at 6:05am

sinhellsing

sinhellsing

362 posts

These are all features that can be found in forums using manufactured forum engines such as forumotion or proboards. All of the coding and such required for any of these features has already been built into the forum engine, so it doesn't matter if anyone uses it or not since it's already there anyway.

AG's forum, however, is custom-built, so of course every new feature added must be created from scratch. If it's a feature that the admins feel would benefit the community as a whole, they will make it happen, but if it's something like table BBCode that would create more problems than it would solve, it's almost certainly a no-go. The last thing we need is a BBCode button nobody knows how to use intuitively.

I'm totally aware of this and I do realize AG is custom built.

Well I did not say these are must-have features, these are just things that came through my mind and wanted to know what you guys think about.

Thanks for the positive and negative feedback.
Cheers ~

Reply to Few forum little improvements suggestions

You must be logged in to post a reply!