ForumsPopular MediaCosmos: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY

9 7151
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I would like your thoughts on the new Cosmos hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson?

In case you haven't seen it you can watch the full episode here on the official website.
Comos Episode:1

• 9 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Can't watch it; for US residents only. What is it?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

It's a newly revived series covering different subjects in science. The original was written and hosted by Carl Sagan.

Here are the wiki articles on both the new and the original series.
Cosmos: A Personal Voyage
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Sounds interesting. Anything that interests people in science is god, I suppose.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Have yet to see it, I think it starts airing here this coming Sunday.

Fond memories of the original series though. I was a young kid at the time, just in my early puberty or so. It has the dubious distinction of causing my first depression, LOL: That is to say, I'd known misery before, but this was the first time I actually consciously thought "Now I'm depressed."

It was upon seeing the classic sequence where the history of the universe gets compressed into one calendar year, with earth being formed somewhere near the end of it, and mankind then finally what we call civilization somewhere in the very final seconds or so.

Ah, the sheer insignificance of it all, and the hopeless and absurd sheer pompousness of all our endeavors and aspirations, and our puny troubles indeed.

Mind you, if that sounds like a negative description, I think a bit of due humility in the grand scheme of things, and a bit of a sense of relativity and perspective historical and otherwise, never goes amiss

See it.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

... Mmmmkay, the verdict upon seeing the pilot episode is in. None too favorable, surprise.

I should really rewatch an episode from the original series to see if that addressed a broader audience, but I was sorely disappointed with this being basically a kiddy show. That gimmick of the (maddeningly repetitive) little spaceship flying about surely doesn't help, as don't the bewilderingly infantile animation sequences. I mean, c'mon, guys, you really can do one better.

All in all, an incredibly long-winded whiny pilot episode, indeed, although I'll give it the benefit of hoping the series may pick up as it goes along. Funnily of course, it does pretty much start off with that calendar year gimmick again -- someone must've recognized that was good --, but either I wasn't in the mood or its presentation just struck me as totally unimpressive.

So I guess that's a nay from where I'm at. Over to the others, and to any follow-up episodes then

wishfulpoison77
wishfulpoison77
124 posts
Nomad

Now, I liked it. I have watched the original series on dvd, and I liked that better. This is just a mocking of that, and the first episode is pretty much the same in both series.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Myeh. Caught half an eye of the second episode the other day.

That goofy spaceship flying about I find really off-putting.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I watched the first episode yesterday with the cosmic calendar and I found it really interesting... Second episode here I come ^^

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

And good for you, Dapro Don't let any old fogeys put you off of no nothing

An NG show currently being aired over here I like btw would be their Earth From Space; claiming to present new insights gleaned from modern-day satellite technology, it indeed offers plenty a factoid hitherto unknown to yours truly at least.

Showing 1-9 of 9