ForumsNews and Feedback[Official] Disqus Comments

220 145975
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Greetings all!

We're going to be moving all our game comments, profile comments, MMO comments and editorial comments over to Disqus as early as this Friday. Because of this, I wanted to give you a FAQ to help solve any mysteries on the process...

What about Merits?

Merits will not live on our website in the same way, they can't be tied directly into the Disqus system which means they will no longer be comment-based. A simple Merit system will be created on our launch Friday that will grow more robust with time - allowing moderators/admins to merit people directly. Later e-mail notifications will be added to this as well.

You can also "Feature" a comment in Disqus, so that could also be awarded with your merit.

What about non-AG armatars?

A big concession we had to make with the Disqus system is that a Disqus account trumps our normal user accounts. This means users can name themselves whatever they like, and associate any armatar they like to their profile.

There will be alterations in our rules that discuss impersonation of other users, especially Moderators/Admins that will result in permanent bans. Also utilizing any exclusive armatars will result in a warning and possible further punishment.

Guest Accounts?

Guest accounts will be killed on site, and your real account warned. Guest accounts are not allowed on our Disqus comments.

Colored text for Knights/Admins/Moderators?

Not available right now in Disqus. You'll notice our accounts have "Moderator" next to our names. This text may change, but it means that person has moderator powers over Disqus comments.

What about total comment count?

This should be worked on before launch as well, nobody should lose their comment counts, just add on to their total.

What about old comments?

Still unknown the degree we'll be transferring over old comments. I'd love to hear your opinions though. This obviously is very tedious work, but I think me and @boppins agree that certain games (or comments) should make it over.

If you have any more questions let me know below.

• 220 Replies
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=Ferret]A key thing that you need to remember with Disqus is its self-moderating as well. Users can flag content and vote down users. This is all helpful in our moderation of the comments or even preventative.[/quote]

When flagging a comment, does the report go to the Disqus crew, or to AG rather? I imagine some reports to do with site logic will escape them.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Of all places these went, the profile comments are probably my least favorite spot. It just looks clunky on the profile page. (or maybe it's just because it's been the old way for years)

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Pretty I can't say I find it, no. But then maybe like y'r good self I'm just being an old fogey about it

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

You can't delete your profile comments anymore?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

You can't delete your profile comments anymore?

Unfortunately, that is correct.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Is there anyway to see what comments of your have been upvoted? That would interest me ^^

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

For a comment wall, the system consumes an unprecedented amount of CPU capacity. Is there a way to prevent this?

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@GhostOfMatrix You can't delete them, but you can flag them.

@FishPreferred Are you certain? I've not noticed this myself, but if we can confirm it with other users this may be something we'll need to look into.

I'm thinking if we find a way to widen out those profile comments, they are going to look at lot better.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I'm thinking if we find a way to widen out those profile comments, they are going to look at lot better.

I agree, maybe we can do something about the ads on the side? They take up quite a chunk of the page.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

You can still use the legacy system; it's going to be slightly more irritating to check for new comments, but Idk if you guys noticed.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

It is a little annoying that you have to click an extra button to access someone's AG profile as opposed to their Disqus profile, but we'll get used to it as time goes on.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

You can still use the legacy system; it's going to be slightly more irritating to check for new comments, but Idk if you guys noticed.

I was wondering if when commenting there, does it then show up under the new (Disqus) comments, or under the old (legacy) ones?

And Ferret, in case you missed my earlier question,* when flagging a comment now, does the report go to you guys, or to the Disqus crew?

* Or maybe it's been asked and answered before, the thread's already grown a little long to check. Searching it for " flag" turns up every flag button on the thread, duh.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

For a comment wall, the system consumes an unprecedented amount of CPU capacity. Is there a way to prevent this?

I can't say I'm a wizard with checking on these things, by any means; however a peak at my system monitor just now suggests a (very) brief peak of some 20-30 Mb when switching from a regular page to my profile page.

Nothing very shocking, you'd think, but as said: I may very well be missing something. nb I've just switched to Linux Mint, which should arguably be much less of a system hog in general.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

ps And for the sake of completeness, looks like I get about the same results when switching from a regular page to another regular page

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Nothing very shocking, you'd think, but as said: I may very well be missing something. nb I've just switched to Linux Mint, which should arguably be much less of a system hog in general.

My computer is a ~4 year old laptop with I.E. 9, so it may just be on my end.
Showing 61-75 of 220