ForumsNews and Feedback[Official] Disqus Comments

220 145970
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Greetings all!

We're going to be moving all our game comments, profile comments, MMO comments and editorial comments over to Disqus as early as this Friday. Because of this, I wanted to give you a FAQ to help solve any mysteries on the process...

What about Merits?

Merits will not live on our website in the same way, they can't be tied directly into the Disqus system which means they will no longer be comment-based. A simple Merit system will be created on our launch Friday that will grow more robust with time - allowing moderators/admins to merit people directly. Later e-mail notifications will be added to this as well.

You can also "Feature" a comment in Disqus, so that could also be awarded with your merit.

What about non-AG armatars?

A big concession we had to make with the Disqus system is that a Disqus account trumps our normal user accounts. This means users can name themselves whatever they like, and associate any armatar they like to their profile.

There will be alterations in our rules that discuss impersonation of other users, especially Moderators/Admins that will result in permanent bans. Also utilizing any exclusive armatars will result in a warning and possible further punishment.

Guest Accounts?

Guest accounts will be killed on site, and your real account warned. Guest accounts are not allowed on our Disqus comments.

Colored text for Knights/Admins/Moderators?

Not available right now in Disqus. You'll notice our accounts have "Moderator" next to our names. This text may change, but it means that person has moderator powers over Disqus comments.

What about total comment count?

This should be worked on before launch as well, nobody should lose their comment counts, just add on to their total.

What about old comments?

Still unknown the degree we'll be transferring over old comments. I'd love to hear your opinions though. This obviously is very tedious work, but I think me and @boppins agree that certain games (or comments) should make it over.

If you have any more questions let me know below.

• 220 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I was wondering if when commenting there, does it then show up under the new (Disqus) comments, or under the old (legacy) ones?

The old one, I did a slight test.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Okay I'm on a computer using IE right now and the comments work fine for me, just like chrome. I'm not sure what version it is, just giving you guys some feedback.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

(Re: "legacy" comments.)

[quote=nichodemus]The old one, I did a slight test. [/quote]

Aha. I'd figured as much (but had hoped differently). That could lead to endless confusion (and possible abuse), couldn't it.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Is it possible to be notified through email with this system like the legacy one?

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

I believe if you subscribe to your profile it will e-mail you.

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

I believe if you subscribe to your profile it will e-mail you.

Yes. I used to have "notifications" so either you just subscribe, or you subscribe and turn on notifications.

Either way I can vouch for it working. I get the emails.

~~Black~~
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I want to point another interesting thing I just discovered, youtube videos can be in the comments, and I mean the actual videos, which I think is pretty cool.

eliakith
eliakith
2,419 posts
Blacksmith

On the profile comments, is it possible to get disqus to let us delete our own comments and/or comments on our profile? On the game comments, I (personal opinion) think its only good for certain games, like Labyrinth: secrets of shadow haven, as disqus is a live comment system. In response to @R2D21999 , that is NOT cool. Think of what peeps can put there :O

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

In response to @R2D21999 , that is NOT cool. Think of what peeps can put there :O

Then don't look at it, I mean it gives you that option.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Then don't look at it, I mean it gives you that option.

What's not cool about it is it will be a resource hog on people on lesser connections and/or systems, and moreover they won't know about it until innocently opening the page.

Anyhooz, I guess that's a Disqus issue then, little AG can do about it, as such.
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Just a clarification about "Guest" accounts. The reason you see a guest account is because the user has deleted that comment. In Disqus, deletion of a comment removes your name from it and makes it fall under a Guest title.

Admins can still easily track down who posted, however if you want them actually deleted I suggest you flagging them for spam. I kill all Guest comments on sight.

Anonymizing a comment will remove it from your profile and remove all identifying information from the comment on the original page. Once a comment has been anonymized it cannot be claimed again. If there is any sensitive information in the comment text, it should be edited out first.
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@Marll Flagging a comment sends it to the AG mods/admins.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@FishPreferred We're discussing something for the game page that would only load Disqus comments when you moved down the page. That way, you could just not scroll and lose no CPU. How does that sound?

Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

Well, I guess I won't be active on AG for years now. Because I'm not getting anymore notifications in my email about new comments. So I guess these changes have now made AG only for people who spend 24 hours a day in AG. Not really something I would support, but it's your choise, I won't stand in the way...

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Pretty sure you can enable email notifications through your Disqus account. I tried screwing around with it but I'm not sure how.

Showing 76-90 of 220