Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

A way to block annoying users

Posted Mar 12, '14 at 11:41pm

SportShark

SportShark

1,104 posts

Ah, a perfect day, everything is going well. You just won a basketball game at the park with your homies, some cute girl commented on how great you play ball, and your favorite rap album was playing on XM channel 45. Then you go onto AG to check your comments and what do you find? Some jerks apparently went giddy on your comment box when you were away and left a string of offensive, smart alec crap on your comments that you have to sort out and deal with.
_____________________________________________________________There should be a way to block non mod or admin members from posting in your comments. I can't stand people who are enabled with the comment box to do what they would never do to someone face to face. I propose a way (button) to block these people from commenting in ones comments box.

Posted Mar 12, '14 at 11:51pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

6,861 posts

XM channel 45.

Shady Radio... only da best man; as for the rest of the post tl;dr i'm lazy

Posted Mar 13, '14 at 12:00am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,530 posts

Knight

Not supportive of this...my views:

Might breed more hostility and the fight might still continue via proxies/Alts. If the person really has broken the rules of harassment, it's still better to let the mods handle it.

Posted Mar 13, '14 at 12:25am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,941 posts

1) You can't block blk
2) He commented on how he didn't fancy your profile..then it turned into a back and forth of mud slinging. Except the mud was made of feces
3) The idea proposed in this thread isn't necessarily a bad idea, but you could always just talk to a mod about the situation.

Posted Mar 13, '14 at 12:33am

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,418 posts

Might breed more hostility and the fight might still continue via proxies/Alts. If the person really has broken the rules of harassment, it's still better to let the mods handle it.

Exactly. You should be able to handle any sort of situation that may bring this sort of hostility in a more mature manner. If ignoring and/or attempting to settle things between you and a specific user does not work, then you simply have to bring in the mods or "higher authorities" to sort things out. Of course I kind of see this as being childish, because by now you should be able to distinguish between what is pointless and what is not. Is this annoying user going to have an extremely negative impact on your life that may potentially harm you? No? Then okay. That means it is essentially pointless.

Posted Mar 13, '14 at 12:52am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,358 posts

I don't like this idea either because people here should be able to get along reasonably well, considering the crackdown speed of AG guys. If someone's being immature, tell a mod. Other people are likely to vouch for you. If they keep it up, the mods will deal with them.

However, I want to address this line:

Of course I kind of see this as being childish, because by now you should be able to distinguish between what is pointless and what is not. Is this annoying user going to have an extremely negative impact on your life that may potentially harm you?

Wow. Way to take it to an extreme. How about if someone wrapped your vehicle (assume you have one if you don't) in six inches of toilet paper every day? Would it have an extremely negative impact on your life that may potentially harm you? No. Then it's pointless. Just clean someone else's mess up every single day. Kind of like a Messenger Board.

The whole "extremes" argument is flawed. You can use it to justify (or nullify) a lot of immature, crude and time-wasting abuse from other people by saying that it's not hurting you as much as other things hurt you. You have no reason to defend someone being a jerk because they aren't THAT bad. The rules for posting are very clear, and if someone is clearly harassing you, it's not childish to ask someone in charge to handle the problem. It's taking responsibility and action rather than being pushed around.

Posted Mar 13, '14 at 1:17am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,358 posts

Anyway. Rather than argue further, I decided to go to the root of the matter. pang was kind enough to direct me to it in the post above (thank you pang). Now that I am properly informed, I will give my opinion on the matter.

mastaplaya, dude. Get a grip. I stand by my previous statements about "extremes," but after reading the comments between the two, you were being nastier than blk was, and, after reading the "Worse About Pages" thread, this only enforces my claim.

blk...dude, why the heck did you start a thread that was a clear reference to a comment dispute you were having? Did you really think that was going to work? Come on, man, you're better than that.

This is quite literally what blk did with the "Worst About Pages" thread, which you so kindly obliterated. This thread will probably be locked in the near future as well. Even worse, you both violated Jerk Rule #2, where one uses: *"Malicious sub-tweeting," a Twitter term that basically means 'attacking another person through text without stating that person's name.' You've both done that and, unfortunately, you are both jerks. Stop being jerks.

Posted Mar 13, '14 at 1:22am

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

6,861 posts

Okay as pang said this is just a war. Masta and blk, quit your stupid bickering and be men for goodness sake... It's not like this is elementary school where you have to tell the teacher for everything, just be men and come to peace.

I'm younger than you guys and find it appalling that my supposed elders bicker over little comments and petty crap. Cut it already, listen to some Eminem and you will both be okay.

>rantclose

Posted Mar 13, '14 at 1:30am

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,423 posts

Knight

There should be a way to block non mod or admin members from posting in your comments.

Or you could do one of three things:

1. Don't reply to the comment.
2. Don't reply to the comment.
3. Don't reply to the comment.

Seriously, if you don't want a user continually posting on your wall, just stop replying to their comments. Each time you do reply, it's just an invitation for them to send another comment your way. There's really nothing more to it.

Posted Mar 13, '14 at 7:29am

Blackbeltr0

Blackbeltr0

802 posts

Ask not to be contacted by them. If they contact you unless they are a mod or admin, that is called harassment and is clearly spelled out in the Terms and Conditions. Thus they break their Terms and Conditions AKA "contract", and can be dealt with by the AG authorities.

~~Black~~

Reply to A way to block annoying users

You must be logged in to post a reply!