ForumsGamesPirate Galaxy not loading?

14 28050
Spikey462
Spikey462
3 posts
Peasant

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/915/8983/original.jpg

I played this game in the past, and wanted to come back to it, but I cannot seem to get past the Loading screen now. my Java is at the latest version, And I use Mozilla firefox as my usual browser. However, I tried to run it in both chrome and Internet explorer and I receive the same problem. I ran a Cleaner and fixed registry issues, but to no avail. Does anyone know how to fix this?

• 14 Replies
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Generally speaking, you might want to check these suggestions & in further threads pointed to there, to see if that fixes your issue.

You could also be running into this issue, although more typically you should be getting a black (or possibly blank?) screen.

Checking for you now, by allowing (using NoScript, under Firefox) JavaScript for splitscreenstudios.com and gamigo.com, I get to a startup page alright -- telling me that the game won't run under Linux which I'm currently on, so I'm not checking further

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

ps

I ran a Cleaner and fixed registry issues

Whilst off-topic here, the merits of this are doubtful to say the least. The consensus by wiser heads than me seems to be that registry issues simply shouldn't affect modern machines; and that no program can be trusted to ascertain what should and shouldn't be in your registry.

It should anyhows really be unnecessary these days, and may well lead you into trouble with your box sooner or later.

It should also, methinks, have no bearing whatsoever on whether you can run an online flash game or not, btw.
UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

Could be also some connection issues, try again later is also on the list^^
Flash also up to date?

treos
treos
105 posts
Nomad

i think pirate galaxy uses java, not flash.

Spikey462
Spikey462
3 posts
Peasant

Flash player and anything else I could name are definitely up-to-date.

Generally speaking, you might want to check these suggestions & in further threads pointed to there, to see if that fixes your issue.

I looked, and tried what was suggested there, but It didn't work. I even attempted to run dino storm, although I don't play it, for the sake of checking, but it won't load. so it's something to do with a conflict between my computer and Splitscreens requirements.

I tried to run the game on another computer in the house, and it loaded in perfectly fine. so it's certainly a setting on my computer that's not allowing the game to load, and internet connection isn't an issue.

I could simply play on the other computer but it's not mine, and is usually occupied by another person.

no games on armor games(or other sites) other than games developed by Splitscreen have an issue.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Hm, yes. Other than sitting down with you by your box, I probably won't be able to assist further, Spikey.

If you do ever figure out what's blocking it on that machine, do let us know, it will help us help others. Cheers.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

ps Although one thing you could check on, Spikey, is to run the game in Firefox with add-ons disabled; this is under >Help in your browser menu, then >Restart with add-ons disabled.

It would rule out that it is some add-on interfering; although going by your descriptions, I reckon it's some other system or program's setting.

Do you have any parental control filter running? Perhaps an exception needs to be made in your virus scanner, your firewall? Stuff like that, but it's hard to say what to look for, really.

Spikey462
Spikey462
3 posts
Peasant

Perhaps an exception needs to be made in your virus scanner, your firewall?

Upon disabling my firewall temporarily, The game loaded properly. I never thought of touching it because I've never had problems with my Anti-virus software in the past with anything, so I never gave it a second thought until you suggested I check my firewall.

I don't know what to put in my exceptions however, as I know there are probably many layers of sites the game goes through to connect with the server from armor games. Do you know?
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Hmmm, interesting.

No, it's hard to say just like that. What firewall do you use, if I may?

Wait, the game's an MMO, right. It's very possible it requires an incoming connection to you. I'd be hesitant to set this globally, but I can't tell you how to set it more specifically, just like that.

Let me think about it some more, or perhaps some folks geekier than me may reply here. You might be better off asking it directly of them, over at http://pirategalaxy.com/ I guess, or try http://splitscreen-games.com/ .

And now wait, something else to look at entirely: I can't, in Firefox, get into the latter site unless I allow cookies for it. You could try this, for both sites, and see if that helps.

To get back to your firewall, your logs should (hopefully) tell you what is getting blocked, and so what to allow. If it features a learning mode, you could remove the entry allowing your browser web access, or more specifically: That disallowing other access; opening the game again, it should now give you a prompt as to what to (dis-) allow. How precisely you can manage this will depend on your firewall. (E.g., Windows' built-in firewall doesn't allow to specify a whole lot of anything, and moreover it won't give you such prompts.)

But try allowing those cookies first.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Spikey,

I'll get back to you seeing if in Windows I can figure out what that traffic flows over, OK. Somewhere over the weekend, I guess.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Okidoki, checking in WinXP, Firefox the latest (currently 28.0):

You need to allow Java for the game to run (note: Java is not the same as JavaScript. And so yes, as Treos observed, it would have to be a Java game.)

The game takes a while to load, depending on your set-up no doubt, which should show however in the loading screen, there's a countdown meter there.

Now your Java Platform SE binary ( *.*\\Java\\jre7\\bin\\java.exe ) needs to be set to allow incoming connections. Note I have two instances called so in my Firewall ruleset: The one is for java.exe, the other for javaw.exe. So it's the first, not the latter you need to set so.

To get more specific, and always assuming I read this right (I'm honestly not that much of a techie, either): Java.exe now appears to be listening on (or communicating through, in any event) a port range from 1667-1695, for TCP traffic from 46.253.154.***, on a ditto port range, + http (80). All of these variables may well vary, I suppose.

Hope this may have helped some, cheers.

I'm finally not so sure why this shouldn't work under Linux, I think it duly emulates Java, but I'm only just getting to grips with it myself, so no idea really. Nor arguably is it the most pressing of questions, to me

Medabotz
Medabotz
11 posts
Nomad

try to update your JAVA and use CCleaner to fix this problem

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

? CCleaner has nothing to do with any of this.

And, whilst a handy tool for other purposes (notably for cleaning up your system, as the name might suggest ) if you know what you're doing, it can lead to unwanted results if you don't. Some of its defafult settings should be disabled, and its registry cleaner preferably not used or with utmost reticence if you do, for reasons mentioned on page #1 of this thread.

It is anyhows really off-topic, since again it simply has nothing to do with these issues. As for Java, the poster had already established the game works just fine for them, provided they tweak some other settings. How to tweak it so as to make it work more permanently for them is then the question.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

... And then of course the poster had mentioned in their first post already having run CCleaner, anyways.

Showing 1-14 of 14