ForumsPopular MediaMovie sequels

27 16768
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

So at a movie theater I was about to watch the Lego Movie, but before I saw it one of the trailers caught my eye which is a movie called The Legends of Oz Dorthy's Return. As much as I really thought how bad of an idea this movie is and how lame it looks(then again they may be aiming towards a more younger audience). It spawned an idea about movie sequels.

So what do you think of movie sequels? Do you think they're better than the one(s) before it? Or do you think that the sequel was trash in comparison to the to the first few? Or maybe there is a movie sequel coming out(like that Wizard of Oz thing I just posted) that you just feel like posting and commenting about.

Averagely, at least from most of the movies I've seen, the first movies were always the best ones. For example the first Spiderman(not the Amazing Spiderman) in my opinion was better than the others. Starwars Episodes 4 to 6 were also way more better than 1 to 3. The first Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark was also a lot better than Indiana Jones Crystal Skull(Those are the only Indy films I've seen). Those movies and their sequels are the only ones to come to my mind right now.

So again, what are your people's opinions on movie sequels?

• 27 Replies
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I think all those even just proposing movie sequels without a good reason why, say of a life-or-death nature, should be shot on the spot.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Sequels rarely improve on/are as good as the originals and are often just cash cows. One of the few exceptions is toy story.

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

eh I think it depends on the original movie/story, everyone argues that the first 3 star wars shouldn't have been made but if you start at the 4th one then it is obvious that there were going to be 3 more before it, technically a prequel . Given that I really didn't care much for the Toy Story sequels. The original was fine on its own. Anyways things like the sequel to 300 should be shot down.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

An animated Wizard of Oz sequel? Looks like ****... Just shows how bad the movie industry is getting these days.

In my opinion there should only be sequels to movies that are based from book trilogies for example. Other than that most sequels are pointless and really suck.

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Well I think there is more than one book based on the setting of Oz, there are several, this is probably based on others also they did already make another movie its called "Oz the Great and Powerful"

so yea to clue ya'll in read more books...or at least consider anything based on a book has more then one to it

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

One of the few exceptions is toy story.

Oh, right, we're talking sequels [slap self smiley] I was thinking remakes.

Um, no, sequels can go. As such. Pretty much. Y'r honor (Unless involving unlikely combos of entirely unrelated extraterrestrials. E.g.)
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

The first sequel tends to be better after the first has had success and they can get a bigger budget. It's the third movie where things go horribly wrong. Star Wars Episode 5 is usually considered the best, but by Episode 6 people stopped telling George Lucas he couldn't do certain things and the studio wanted a cash cow so we get stuck with Ewoks. Most people consider Spider Man 2 and X-Men 2 to be the best movies of their trilogies while the third is usually considered the worst.

Of course, those were all planned to be trilogies. The 300 sequel goes even further overboard than the original movie and looks like it'll be horrible. The Fast and the Furious sequels are progressively worse, excluding Tokyo Drift which has so little to do with the others I don't consider it an F&F movie and so bad I don't want to remember it at all.

Overall, if you're making a sequel to make money it'll be nearly unwatchable. If you're making a sequel to tell a story, stop at 2 or stick to the original story plan. The more you try to rush the sequels the more likely you are to ruin the series with a bad movie.

CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

Some sequels do nothing but reference the first one, like anchorman 2 did with anchorman.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

Some of you may disagree with me here, but I thought Harold and Kumar Esacpe From Guantanamo Bay was way better than White Castle. Don't get me wrong, White Castle was funny, but Guantanamo Bay took it to new levels.

Some sequels do nothing but reference the first one, like anchorman 2 did with anchorman.

Funny you mention those, I actually just saw an Anchorman double feature last night. I agree that one really wouldn't understand the sequel had he not seen the first, but upon watching them back to back, I've found that they are two very different movies.
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

People make sequels cuz they ran out of ideas!

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

It really depends on the movies. Sequels for Star Wars were necessary to continue the over-arching story. On the contrary we have movies like The Hangover 2 & 3 which do nothing but leech of the success of the first.

As for all these sequels, prequels, dequels, etc of The Wizard of Oz, I find them quite asinine. It really makes no sense, given that the original movie was nothing more than a dream of Dorothy's. It really just undermines all that the movie worked towards.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Hot tub time machine 2(That's a movie?)

Yes it is, you should watch it.Kappa

~~~Darth Caedus
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Incredibles 2

I'm actually looking forward to this.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 makes sense, it is based on a Marvel Comic series so they'll milk that as much as possible. How To Train Your Dragons 2 sounds like it's a bad joke someone posted on IMDb. There's already a canon series that comes in right after the first movie, the sequel is either going to require a massive time jump, demand watchers know the series, or ignore the series entirely.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Only one I'm actually concerned about is Independence Day. Please don't ruin it. Most of the others are in good hands or have already been milked too much for it to matter.

Showing 1-15 of 27