ForumsThe TavernSo What Did You Cook Today?

20 9162
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

(Should this be a Tavern thread, or rather a pop culture thing? Well, where do us weary web roamers sit us down for a healthy bite, after all... )

OK, so why not let's start this off: Inspired by the Food thread, here's the So What Did You Cook Today? thread, to leave behind all your recipes for the betterance of your fellow souls having the munchies.

Today's starter (a side dish, to be precise), Indian dal makhani (creamy or "rich" lentils).

Cobbled together from various recipes really, my first go ever at this the other day didn't turn out bad really, and not at all unlike this favorite dish whilst on the road over there, if I may say so myself. A traditional North Indian dish I gather, or more precisely Punjabi even, I find soupy results for this even, however the way I know and like it, it should come out a creamy, half-fried half-soft texture, indeed, let's say somewhat as in the accompanying pic, perhaps a little thicker even. Adjust to taste and at will, no doubt.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1jW8iVmvIahXi6GT2-K6p1lAi14ZhFlFYV8eiGoMeE52twRUWfQ

Without further ado then:

Dal makhani
The Mac way.

Take 6 units urad dal (black lentils) : 1 unit of of rajma (kidney beans).

[Note of the various types of lentils I had around I chose me my what are called green-brown ones over here, and skipping on the kidney beans altogether, they should be a very nice addition though. Dried kidney beans you'll want to leave to soak in ample water overnight -- or say at least from the early morning if you plan to cook them that evening --, then cook for approx. 45 minutes, perhaps an hour to get them soft as called for here; black lentils I'm not sure about, however save for the red and yellow varieties which may need just some 10 minutes to cook, I find most will be just fine with 45 mins. cooking period, no soaking beforehand required.]

In a dry pan, briefly toast cumin seeds, salt, green chili, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, chili powder if desired, turmeric powder. The cumin seeds and perhaps cardamom may start popping and the chili somewhat darken, and the spices should start giving off a nice fragrance, not burn.

Grind these in a mortar & pestle (removing the cardamom husks first), together with chopped garlic and ginger, both in equal portions.

In half butter (or no doubt ghee)-half oil, briefly fry the spicy paste. Add finely chopped onion, fry. Add tomato puree, fry. Again, it should all take on color and take on a nice fragrance, not burn, needless to say

Add well-cooked beans, stir and fry. Add some cream and/or water as desired, stir and fry. Leave to simmer, occasionally stirring.

Serve sprinkled with freshly chopped coriander & cream. (Note I used soy cream for this recipe which I happened to have standing around, worked as well as looked just fine & just like the real thing.)

Bon appetit Goes well with rice and/or Indian breads (roti or chapati, naan and the likes), and one or more of your favorite curries, veggie or I guess meat or seafood if you happen to swing that way. Me, on this occasion I enjoyed it wih indeed white basmati rice, some papadams, an impromptu curry of pumpkin & parsnip, and some (hot!) mango pickles on the side.

Notes: For lack of a mortar & pestle, a blender may be used, however purists would insist the result isn't quite the same, and the flavors won't "blend" quite as well.

Note #2: How much of it all, one might ask. Well, sorry, I don't cook that way, and so mostly do it by hand/by instinct. Practice makes perfect, and all that, so don't hesitate to just get busy experimenting

• 20 Replies
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Let see, I pulled 3 corn dogs out of the freezer, microwaved them for 2 1/2 minute, rolled them into mustard then I ate them.
xD

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Well, I haven't really made anything today but yesterday I made Brownie cookies with a salted caramel creme filling. It was absolutely divine.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Ok get ready for this because this is going to be some intense cooking. You ready? Ok.

First I get in the car. Then, after my mom gets in the car and starts it we drive to the local chili restaurant(we live in the Cincinnati area so there's chili restaurants everywhere). Once we got there I ordered a small 3 way chili with a cheese coney(normally I would just get a regular 3 way without the coney but they were giving free coneys) and a delicious fizzy Sierra Mist. Finally we paid the bill.

Oh geez I'm so sweaty after that intense explanation of mine. *whew* I'm going to relax by watching tv.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I microwaved some frozen fried chicken. I'm an amazing cook

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Last night I made Greekish/Italianish &quotizza" on Naan.

Put some pesto on the naan, added artichoke hearts, bell peppers, chicken, mushrooms, kalamata olives, feta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I had a poptart that I put in the toaster this morning.... ._.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Hey, at least toasters way beat microwaves in terms of um artisanry

[quote=Minotaur55]but yesterday I made Brownie cookies with a salted caramel creme filling. It was absolutely divine.[/quote]

A recipe! We need a recipe!

I liked the naan pizza idea, Ash. Next, we may be doing homemade pesto. Have that mortar & pestle ready

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ewQuGGy0QbI/S3t4bI9wVhI/AAAAAAAABAk/MUmzr-WvSVQ/s320/cat_on_a_plate.jpg

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

LOL. What is this, anyway, April Cat's Day?

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

Hm? Whats wrong? Cats are delicious... when roasted!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I wanted to eat something different today so I pulled 3 corn dogs out of the freezer, microwaved them for 2 1/2 minute, rolled them into mustard then I ate them. xD

EvilKittyCat666
EvilKittyCat666
45 posts
Nomad

I ate meh sum mice... but I'm still hungry! Got s'moar for meh? Meow?

Omegap12
Omegap12
1,980 posts
Shepherd

I cooked up some tacos, sliced pears, rice, and for some reason, green beans

Wait, who am i kidding, that was the schools's lunch today!
*Walks away mumbling, "how to cook food... lets hope McDonalds is open!"*

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

I made some scrambled eggs. Plain scrambled eggs. I should have gone out and bought bacon or ham to go with it, but then it would become a habit, and I don't feel like getting fat any time soon.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

My neighbor's dog. You just have to lure them towards you, and when they're all ready for a good scratch, snap the neck, bring it home, and fry it up nicely with batter and a liberal dose of parmesan cheese. Feeds two for 1-3 days, depending on the size of the dog.

I'M KIDDING OK BE QUIET ALL THE DOG PEOPLE OUT THERE

Showing 1-15 of 20