ForumsNews and FeedbackForum Notification?

34 15403
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

One of the ideas I've been throwing around here is a way to notify people on the forums. We already have a @Ferret function, so maybe allowing that to notify a user along with the thread link via e-mail would be useful.

Assuming we put some protections against spamming, what are thoughts?

• 34 Replies
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

For sure. Isn't that right @R2D21999?

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Aww didn't get the email because I didn't realize "No" was preselected. You just didn't want me emailing all those people. D:

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Hmm, I don't think it's pre-selected is it?

FerretSelect
FerretSelect
1 posts
Nomad

Wow, I guess it is. Sure feels like it shouldn't be.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@R2D21999 posted in here?! How come, I wonder... =)

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I wonder as well, @MrDayCee . It's as if a magical messenger brought me an invitation.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Can you tag @ yourself and get a notification?

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

@xXxDAPRO89xXx : no, it doesn't work if you tag yourself

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@R2D21999 ... I had a funny urge to suddenly look up this thread and post in it! Mysterious... (oO)

And believe me @xXxDAPRO89xXx... I tried! LOL XD

@kegaumongo ... *TAG!* ...you're it!!! *runs* =P

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

@MrDayCee : actually, I'm out... I have the feature disabled :P

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Wow, I guess it is. Sure feels like it shouldn't be.

Since it falls under the same selection as Comment Notify, any user who already had "No" selected for Comment Notify automatically has forum notifications preselected as "No". I can't remember if the default for Comment Notify has always been "No", as I registered half a decade ago, but I'm guessing most users who have been active here since AP existed selected "No" for Comment Notify at some point early on in their AG career to avoid an overflowing inbox. Just think what my inbox would look like had I set Comment Notify at "Yes" on my first day.

So for those of you who are interested in receiving forum notifications, but have had Comment Notify set at "No" for who knows how long, you may want to double check that your Comment Notify is set affirmatively.
weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

well.. I got an email about a call out.

only 1 problem... the post/thread was deleted and now I cant see the comment

boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

I blame @Ferret

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Don't blame me, you should have made the system withdraw e-mails sent to closed threads by sending out packs of ninja weasels Mr. @Boppins.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

A certain @MrDayCee brought me to this thread so a certain @Ferret would be able to see a certain idea I had regarding certain notifications... =P

This quote is from one of my posts in a conversation with the former...

there's currently no notification as far as I know that tells you if you've been mentioned in the forums through direct site contact. Maybe if there was some notification bar at the top of the page, such as in the dropdown menu that appears when you move your cursor over your username, or maybe in the beige bar near Game News, more people who log in every day but don't regularly check their email would notice if they were mentioned somewhere in the forums.

Does anyone think that, if site notifications were listed under the dropdown menu underneath your username at the top of the page, or somewhere in that beige bar where few people would miss it, people would be more likely to respond to both forum and comment notifications? A more important question... would it be possible and worth it for the admins to make something like this possible?
Showing 16-30 of 34