ForumsWEPRInsanity; Teen Murders Mother

15 7087
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

Seeing as how I did not any other threads with mention of this I felt the need to share this story of how a thirteen year old boy shot his mom in the head, for taking away a Call of Duty game, after trying to rape her and then blamed it on ADD.

• 15 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I don't know what is more disturbing: the act, or the behavior afterwards. Hopefully (there wasn't a need to in the article's comment section) we won't need to reiterate here that various objects aren't a cause of one's anger, rather the anger itself was brought out due to said objects. Quite clearly different affairs!

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Well, clearly, there's something mentally wrong with the kid. I don't know what more there is to say about it. I'm sure people are out there blaming the incident on violent video games, lack of corporal punishment, and no prayer in schools and other crap like that, but what it comes down to is the kid has something messed up in his head.

The far tougher question is: What do you do with someone like this?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

but what it comes down to is the kid has something messed up in his head.

Yeah, his speech afterwards suggests the aggressiveness is not constant, but rather is brought out after a negative revelation, but that's what the psychologists are trying to find out, looks like.

What do you do with someone like this?

I don't think it said they tried him as an adult, or even begun to try him at least. If he's tried as a minor, he'll have a lot of time in Juvenile to say the least, while also being screened psychologically.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

I bet the news media is going to love stapling "Call of Duty" to the incident.

No they won't, because it happened over 2 years ago and the trial was nearly 1 year ago. There's a reason this wasn't mentioned in any recent threads.
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

It's odd that you don't see any of the real big news stations reporting on this story at all. Huffington Post, Examiner, and Mirror are the three predominant sites that show up when you search the story. Not that they are small time sites, but they aren't news affiliates like like NBC, ABC, Fox, CNN, BBC, or even AOL or Yahoo.

For a second I thought maybe the story was an internet hoax, but there are images of the boy in court when you Google his name. After finding a few more articles this, this must be a real case. (Although, yes it looks like this happen a year or so ago.)

Here is what a Huffington Post article has to say.

An emotional William Crooks described his son's troubled relationship with his mother, Gretchen, as loving but marred by intense arguments and increasingly violent outbursts, ABC affiliate KAAL reported.

On May 4, witnesses who knew Noah Crooks from school testified that the boy had grown increasingly violent at school in the month leading up to his mother's death...

As for the verdict of his trial (according to this source):
After more than 18 hours of deliberations, a Wright County jury found Noah Crooks guilty Monday afternoon of second-degree murder and not guilty of assault with intent to commit sexual abuse in the March 2012 shooting death of his mother, Gretchen.

One witness ... testified that Noah Crooks had spoken of suicide the previous year. The witness also said the boy "got angry quicker... heâd get mad at things he wouldn't usually get mad about."
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Reading the 911 call, it seems that he wasn't trying to use ADD as an excuse per se, but that he was just trying to think of what possibly could have come over him to do such an act.

Most people, especially kids/teens hardly use ADD/ADHD in appropriate context..I assume maybe he sees kids acting crazy/hyper in small bouts and then say they have ADD and thinks maybe a severe form might make one do what he did.

As goes without mention, Call of Duty isn't what made him do the act. He's a teen, going through some teenage stuff, and probably used Call of Duty as an outlet for some stress he may have had. Having it taken from him may have released some built up stress he had been suppressing (which the final quote in Reton's post further leads me to believe).

Does this excuse his actions? Of course not, although it heavily implies the course of action I would opt for would be for psychiatric care for the boy.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I think child was troubled beyond stress. Something, whether it genetic (born with brain chemical deficiencies or something), environmental (several small problems adding up or a few larger problems adding up to something very big), or a combination of both, had led the boy to have increasingly violent and more frequent outbursts as well as suicidal thoughts.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Of course, I'm just assuming stress may have triggered it, per se.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I think you may be oversimplifying, pang. I've never heard of stress-induced rape.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Possibly. After reading his conversation, I emphasize with the kid. I don't think he is a monster like some people may possibly want to think, just a kid with something wrong with him.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Help me out here. Why would someone first get angry enough at his mom for taking away his game to shoot her? But most of all, why would he rape her after that? I guess I have no insight into how crazy people think, but but I could speculate that he expresses rage with sexual violence.

VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

A frightening concern is how easily accessible a gun was for such a young and disturbed person (granted it was the parents that got the firearm for him, and not him himself).

Kennethhartanto
Kennethhartanto
241 posts
Constable

after reading the news article, i'm beginning to feel this is just like the case with Anders Breivik, in which games ( CoD in both cases ) are used to explain someone's motive or way of knowing how to commit such atrocities or crime. i don't mind that, i just felt that this is just WAY not fair for the CoD creator. why do they mention CoD, but fail to mention other games that might and can be suspected to be a source of learning the ways of crimes? for example, why not blame GTA or other kind of games that they have on them? i'm pretty sure that obviously both Noah Crooks and Anders Breivik have more games that doesn't display CoD on it's title.

Kennethhartanto
Kennethhartanto
241 posts
Constable

On the other hand, i think i'm going straight to the frontier territory of the topic with my last comment and if i keep this up, it's going to blast through the "walls" of this topic. so if you think it the same way as i do, feel free to ignore my last post. i'm just going to make a new topic in that case

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Am I the only one here who noticed how this particular case sounds like a really bad punk/emo song?

I know. Bad joke. Moving on.

From what I see in the article "his mum Gretchen confiscated his video game because he got bad grades at school". I was in a similar position when I was 7 years old but I most certainly didn't attempt or even think of murdering my own mother. The child obviously has a mental disorder, but the real question is how he was able to live 13 years without anyone noticing he has a mental state so unstable he'd murder his own mother, and before hand attempt to rape her. Usually a child who would have such destructive actions would have similar acts of violence in non-extreme cases (such as taking out aggression by stabbing dolls, shooting stuffed animals with an airsoft gun, etc). It sounds like he has a more sophisticated mental disorder; something stronger and more passive than ADD.

What do you do with someone like this?

Perhaps psychologists could examine him in solitary confinement and see if he has a new form of mental disorder, or a very rare mental disorder.

As goes without mention, Call of Duty isn't what made him do the act. He's a teen, going through some teenage stuff, and probably used Call of Duty as an outlet for some stress he may have had. Having it taken from him may have released some built up stress he had been suppressing (which the final quote in Reton's post further leads me to believe).

I'm a teen myself and I've gone through harder situations in life, situations with no form of stress release. His "snap" and reaction was not only extreme but a reaction that no sane man or teen would actually come up with.

I've never heard of stress-induced rape.

Nor I. The only form of stress-induced rape I could think of is sexual frustration, and that's a different case in itself.
Showing 1-15 of 15