ForumsThe TavernMock RPG/MMO

9 9674
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Little back story. Years ago I was doing a fake kitbash rpg walkthrough just for the fun of it. I was telling a friend of mine who live up in Canada about how i was putting these different elements together and he seemed to like the idea and started talking me into putting ideas together that we could perhaps actually turn into an MMO. Unfortunately I stopped work on it sometime after he was killed by a bear while exploring the woods.

Recently I came across some of the remnants of that project on an old drive and was thinking (again really just for fun) to perhaps finish what I started. I'm just not sure I should bother.

The version that would have possibly become real was going to be a game similar to Runescape. Placed in a pseudo medieval fantasy setting. The idea wasn't to really make it all that graphic intensive, but the world in which it took place would have been massive.

Even though I want to I can't seem to bring myself to work on it. Guess I'm looking for some yay/nays and to see what a bunch of gamers might think of the idea seeing as the project might seem a bit dated by what is out there now.

• 9 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Yes, do it. I'd like to see what you can do.

Annihalation
Annihalation
479 posts
Nomad

Sorry about your friend, but I think you should totally work on it. Which programming language was it in?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Sorry about your friend, but I think you should totally work on it. Which programming language was it in?

Don't know, that would have been left up to my friend. At the point we were at it was basically just "I come up with the ideas and he makes it happen."
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

In honor of him make the final boss a GIGANTIC BRUTAL EPIC grizzly bear demon as a tribute to him. That is honorable and respectable. If you understand what your freind would have wanted in a game you should be able to create something to memorialize your relationship.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

In honor of him make the final boss a GIGANTIC BRUTAL EPIC grizzly bear demon as a tribute to him. That is honorable and respectable. If you understand what your freind would have wanted in a game you should be able to create something to memorialize your relationship.

I fail to see how that would honor him. To me, it seems kind of callous.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I was thinking of playing up the MMO route more so it would be open ended without any final boss. Though originally it would have had a story to follow.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

The version that would have possibly become real was going to be a game similar to Runescape. Placed in a pseudo medieval fantasy setting.

This sounds like every MMORPG so far. I'm curious to know what would make yours different from the rest.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

This sounds like every MMORPG so far. I'm curious to know what would make yours different from the rest.

Never really intended it to be all that different. Just was taking the elements I liked from other games. They got tweaked here and there. Just wanted something with lots of flexibility to it. Like I said it's a bit dated now.

I suppose one thing that I would have liked but wasn't sure how it could ever be pulled off was actually having working cities to explore. So instead of having just a few shops and quest spot or just looking like it's a massive city, it would actually have all these NPCs running around each with their own home and jobs.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Guess I should share a bit of what I have. Here is how I saw the controls.

Most actions will be performed with the mouse using point and click. There will also be some hot keys to preform certain actions. Hot keys can be set to two functions, one for normal mode and one for combat mode.

Controls
Left Mouse Button:
(Normal Mode)
Auto Walk click on location on map or on screen in step mode.
Hold left mouse button for character to follow cursor in walk mode.
Click on object to pick up.
Select and execute actions.
(Combat Mode)
Left click on enemy to attack.
Select and execute actions.

Right Mouse Button:
Pulls up command options list.
(Or hold Shift and click the mouse button in one button mode)

Ctrl Key:
Hold to stand in place while fighting.

Alt Key:
Hold to run.

Tab Key:
Switch between Walk and Step modes.

Directional Arrow Keys
Controls camera angles. (in 3rd person view)
Controls direction player is looking (in first person view)

Page Up and Page Down:
Camera zoom in and out.

Insert:
Reset camera to default.

Home:
Toggle between first and 3rd person view.

End:
Ready/stores weapons.

F1-F12
hot keys (set what you like)
Showing 1-9 of 9