Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Should the government regulate media for gender stereotypes?

Posted May 6, '14 at 2:00pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,475 posts

If Government can't regulate the media, then the cencorship would be gone, leaving some "nasty" TV shows not-otherwise-specified for children

Isn't that what parental controls are for? You can already set passwords for channels you don't want kids to watch. No gov't needed.

Posted May 6, '14 at 2:12pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,954 posts

Asking out of sheer curiosity, Pang? i would like to hear your argument about why shouldn't the government regulate media and in an attempt to lure you out, i said yes. But, having said that, I had to provide reasons right? because i can't run away from this, let me try.

Could always just ask

But, to be short because I'm going to be leaving soon, I'm not a fan of Government controlling most things. On top of that, to allow them to control things such as 'gender stereotypes' also finds issues with it then creating restrictions on the creative freedom of the media.

they can do some censorship to elimenate TV shows not suitable for children. If Government can't regulate the media, then the cencorship would be gone, leaving some "nasty" TV shows not-otherwise-specified for children

Parents can easily restrict their children from watching "unsuitable" shows.

Posted May 7, '14 at 12:29am

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,423 posts

Knight

What I would like to know is, if the government did regulate media for gender stereotypes, who would benefit from it?

From an advertising point of view, nobody would win if advertisements were regulated based on gender stereotypes. Companies don't exercise gender stereotypes just for the fun of it; they do it so that more people will buy their product. This is practically a given, but it's crucial to understanding why you only see perfectly fit people with flawless faces on certain products. Putting an attractive person on a product doesn't necessarily make the product more attractive, but putting an unattractive person on a product will make that product seem unattractive to some buyers. Now, attractiveness is subjective to an extent, but from a company's point of view, if they put the most "flawless" people they can find in an advertisement, they'll offend the fewest people and attract the most consumers, thereby making the the highest profit they can based on the people they put on their ads. And there are always those who buy the product because they think "I'll look like that" if they buy it. From a capitalist standpoint, companies would be very displeased if the government starting limiting their most effective forms of advertising and therefore the amount of money the company can make. It certainly doesn't help that the government would be, for virtually no reason, regulating something that offends very few people.

In other types of media, this type of censorship makes even less sense. There are still plenty of things that the government can censor in most cases, but what could be described as gender stereotypes often contribute to key plot points in many movies and TV shows. It should of course be acknowledged that the concept of "gender stereotypes" as a whole covers a lot of ground already, so if the government kept everything that could be deemed as a gender stereotype out of media, or even just a few major ones, they would not only be restricting a great deal of imagery, but TV and movie plots would be very limited, and people could potentially become very bored with this type of media. Bored with it because the government decided to implement new censorship laws that don't benefit anybody.

I'm not going to argue as to whether it's the government's place to censor things like this, as just about everyone seems about on the same page that the government should not be regulating the media too much to begin with.

@Kennethhartanto, you say yes to this idea, yet you have not given one reason, good or not, for why the government should regulate the media for gender stereotypes. All you've done so far is ask "why not" and then given obvious reasons for why government censoring in general is good to have, which is almost completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Posted May 8, '14 at 10:18am

Kennethhartanto

Kennethhartanto

248 posts

you say yes to this idea, yet you have not given one reason, good or not, for why the government should regulate the media for gender stereotypes. All you've done so far is ask "why not" and then given obvious reasons for why government censoring in general is good to have, which is almost completely irrelevant to this discussion.

yeah, i know. i'm don't really understand this subject, so you win. i give up

Reply to Should the government regulate media for gender stereotypes?

You must be logged in to post a reply!