ForumsProgramming ForumProgramming

7 7639
DarthTyrannausarus
DarthTyrannausarus
538 posts
Nomad

Is there any websites I can go to to learn how to program? I am a gamer, and i really would like to make the games rather than just play them all the time.

• 7 Replies
weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

There are all sorts of information on-line to get you into programming, but before I point you in some random direction. What kind of system are you targeting?

For example, if you wanted to make an x-box or PC game, you could use XNA HERE with a getting started link HERE.

Or perhaps you want to make flash games on-line, you could use FlashDevelop HERE, with a helpful link HERE.

It will be easier to find the right tutorials to get you started if you search with the proper keywords.

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

One thing to note about XNA is that it's no longer supported, I'd recommend checking out MonoGame instead. It's meant as an open-source implementation of XNA and it's cross-platform so you aren't locked into developing for Microsoft systems.

As for more information regarding programming, I'd also suggest looking at our stickies in this very subforum.

You could also check out CodeAcademy as an introduction to programming in general.

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

I didn't know that about XNA, a quick look around with google indicates that XNA studio is ending as of last month (April 1), but there is no official report from microsoft to say otherwise. MonoGame does seem promising...

nuwbie
nuwbie
11 posts
Nomad

Remember that there are all sorts of game genres. An easy one to start off with is text.

DarthTyrannausarus
DarthTyrannausarus
538 posts
Nomad

Thanks, guys. This helped alot.

Tookman
Tookman
87 posts
Nomad

Codecademy has helped me a lot, but I have found it hard to learn flash, which is what most the ArmorGames are written in. If you want a really general coding introduction, I would, and have used code.org .

AnapsidWatch
AnapsidWatch
1 posts
Nomad

Bump for Code and CodeAcademy. I had the honor of meeting some of the programmers behind CodeAcademy a couple years ago. I am learning how to program games for the Android OS too, and so far, some resources on GitHub (another great site) and geotoad (for a geocache-type game I'm making) are my go-to sources.

Showing 1-7 of 7