ForumsWEPRJust in case you had hope for humanity.

37 19368
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Female named hurricanes kill nearly twice as many people because they aren't taken as seriously due to being perceived as feminine. Yep. Hurricanes, because of the gender of their name, are treated differently.

I think this may be terrific evidence that sexists are idiots, but meh.

• 37 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

(Laughing) Well give it an asexual name if you want to name it, otherwise let those people be. There's always going to be that 1 person unless you want to make a compulsory evacuation.

Yeah. Regardless of the cause I think most people can agree that it'd be best to just stop giving the hurricanes gendered names if it's going to cause more deaths.

Kennethhartanto
Kennethhartanto
241 posts
Constable

Does anyone know why they are given names to begin with?

It's for statistics and data collection dude. you can much more easily catalog a named object rather then a numbered object. The reason as to name hurricanes but not other natural disaster, is because they have a relatively very long "lifespan" compared to other natural disaster ( they survive longer ). naming a hurricane would make it much easier to track one's journey, compared to a numbered hurricane. Basically, the reason is pretty much the same as to why when you are shopping, you make a list of named objects to buy and not numbered ones. Or, in times of war, army generals and commanders put code names in their attack or assault operations.

Also, you can distinguish multiple hurricanes much easily with names rather than numbers. suppose we have multiple hurricanes happening around the world. one is crossing Japan, and the other one is crossing, say Florida. this two hurricanes have different strength, with the one hitting Florida is much more powerful. suppose the one hitting Japan is named hurricane A and the one hitting Florida is named hurricane X in one newspaper. another newspaper named the ones hitting Japan as hurricane 04987 and the ones hitting Florida is named hurricane 05671. Now, obviously you would be much easier to identify and recall hurricane that would hit Florida as hurricane X then hurricane 05671, right?

They only found the rate of people who wouldn't leave to be twice as high when it was a female name. Say 5% wouldn't leave no matter what. Then another 5% wouldn't leave because they perceived the hurricane to be less threatening simply because it had a feminine name. That additional 5% are idiots.

Twice is not enough for you? i can also analogize using the same concept. suppose that 20% wouldn't leave no matter what. twice that would be 40%, with which 20% you would call them "idiots". wouldn't 20% of the population be a way too much idiot "ratio"? they aren't idiots, obviously.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

wouldn't 20% of the population be a way too much idiot "ratio"? they aren't idiots, obviously.

I would say that's an extremely low estimate of the idiocy ratio. The other 40% or so would be fleeing or staying regardless of the name.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

It's for statistics and data collection dude. you can much more easily catalog a named object rather then a numbered object.

Honestly, I don't see how names are more suitable for statistics than numbers. Either way you have to define the hurricanes, names and numbers take up exactly the same spot in a data table, and a program will not discriminate.

Basically, the reason is pretty much the same as to why when you are shopping, you make a list of named objects to buy and not numbered ones.

So, when you go shopping, you buy two Katrinas and ten Max, is it? :P

I can see your point, but it is still weird. Besides, most recently discovered astronomical objects have numbers as names, and they are much more long-lived than hurricanes. And in the light of this study I see no reason why we should go on giving names to hurricanes. Names enhance recognition but there are other simple ways to describe what hurricane you are talking about. And no recognition factor in the world is worth human lives.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Speaking as a person who has been through a number of hurricanes passing by I cared less about the name and more about what it's likely direction was.

P.S. Considering Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina and Georgia are the most likely states to be impacted by a hurricane is sexism really that huge of a surprise?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Well let's hope people actually know what Feminism is.

And let's hope it isn't a True Scotsman either
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

I think it's just a poor study really. I think it's just a coincedence. More mortality rates so people make a connection that isn't their. All hurricanes should have l demon names or really cool ones from serial killers and warriors like Miphesto or Damien, Hannibal, or stuff like that but that is less creative than this

Maybe we should name them deliberately threateningly? Such as Hurricane Vortex of Death?

Nathan Explosion named the hurricane that devestated Florida Scrambles the Death Dealer. I know somebody will get that so please don't qeustion it just humor me.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I think it's just a poor study really. I think it's just a coincedence. More mortality rates so people make a connection that isn't their. All hurricanes should have l demon names or really cool ones from serial killers and warriors like Miphesto or Damien, Hannibal, or stuff like that but that is less creative than this

I just wonder, on what base you think this study was poorly done? We might like to know that in case you are right.

Second question, what is the utility of naming hurricanes like demons, or giving them "cool" names? Why?
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

pretty sure this thread just gave me cancer.

It was just an odd coincidence. Hurricanes with female name happen to kill more people. Plot twist: They name hurricanes WAY before they kill anyone. so this entire thread is moot. Take your feminazi, misandrist propaganda somewhere else.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Plot twist: They name hurricanes WAY before they kill anyone.

That's kind of the point...

I think it's just a coincedence.

You think it's a coincidence that the aggregate numbers of all the hurricane related deaths in the United States show that hurricanes with female names have killed twice as many and that a subsequent study showed that people were twice as likely to stay when presented with information about a hurricane wherein the only difference was the gender of the hurricane's name? How?
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

You think it's a coincidence that the aggregate numbers of all the hurricane related deaths in the United States show that hurricanes with female names have killed twice as many and that a subsequent study showed that people were twice as likely to stay when presented with information about a hurricane wherein the only difference was the gender of the hurricane's name? How?

That's just literally people just being straight up retarded. Remember that a lot of hurricanes hit in the south... the south has a lot of low - intelligence people.
Also, it's just a coincidence. Look at this page. A lot of the major hurricanes had female names, and they were all female named until the 1990's. Your argument is still flawed, and thus, invalid.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Plot twist: They name hurricanes WAY before they kill anyone. so this entire thread is moot.

You got it wrong. As Kasic says, the point the study makes is that hurricanes which have been given a female name have caused more deaths; not that hurricanes which caused more deaths were therefore given female names.

Also, it's just a coincidence. Look at this page. A lot of the major hurricanes had female names, and they were all female named until the 1990's. Your argument is still flawed, and thus, invalid.

While correlation is not necessarily causation, I still think that their explanation for the observed phenomena is not improbable. Besides I'm pretty sure the study took into account only hurricanes during the period where they were given male and female names. But I might be wrong, so I'd like you to point me the passages in the study where they made a mistake or what conclusions are flawed according to you.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Your argument is still flawed, and thus, invalid.

Even if we assume that your criticism is correct (it isn't) that doesn't explain the survey portion. Why would people be twice as less likely (purely a coincidence, I assure you) to flee a hurricane when it has a female name as opposed to a male name? Note that there were no actual hurricanes involved in this part - participants were given equivalent information with the only variable differing being the name of the hurricane and asked whether they would flee, given that information.

That's just literally people just being straight up retarded.

It is. People are stupid. In this instance, that stupidity is manifesting as implicit sexism based on stereotypes and cultural views carrying over to inapplicable situations.

Remember that a lot of hurricanes hit in the south... the south has a lot of low - intelligence people.

The people in the south aren't any less intelligent. Less informed, less educated, more ingrained in their ways due to their upbringing, and more religious, but not inherently dumber than anyone else anywhere in the world.

However, this is the only valid criticism I've yet to see of this study. The data from this cannot be extrapolated to everywhere else in the United States, and I do not recall the study ever mentioning that it used people from outside those areas in the survey portion.

R1a2z3e4
R1a2z3e4
116 posts
Shepherd

This is a typical type of question. Maybe it is a co-incidence.

DidactUnbound
DidactUnbound
370 posts
Nomad

I still have hope for humanity, because the brightest light emerges from the lowest darkness, and the same applies to humanity. Our greatest minds will arise when humanity is at its lowest point.

Showing 16-30 of 37