ForumsGamesIs "virtual reality" real?

8 3520
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

A lot of people are talking about "being in a game." I actually have one virtual reality headset (NOT THE VIRTUAL BOY) made from Sony. A pic:

http://applemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/sony-set-release-personal-3d-virtual-reality-visor-playstation-3-blu-ray-player-devices.jpg

It kind of looks like a shoe. xD.. Mine works perfectly, and it feels like I'm in the game! Even though it's not 100% because the figure/character in the video game walks and you can't walk. (unless your in an empty room) Other than that, I love it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main question here is: Is "virtual reality" real? Will it improve? I think someone already made this topic. If not, I don't think think thread is going nowhere.

• 8 Replies
DarthTyrannausarus
DarthTyrannausarus
538 posts
Nomad

Nope. Nuff said.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

They're working on it. If you check out oculus rift, they have some really cool stuff going on, including a VR headset and a treadmill that will let you run in any direction, including strafing, and I think their working on jumping and crouching too. I think eventually, we'll have something like the movie Gamer. (minus the actual people killing each other)

DidactUnbound
DidactUnbound
370 posts
Nomad

Asking if something virtual exists in reality is like asking "if I wake up does that mean I was asleep?" I understand the question, I just felt like poking fun at the contradicting title "is virtual reality real," and to answer your question(to the best of my ability) yes and no. OCULUS RIFT

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Video games are a virtual reality in it of themselves. So yes

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

No. "Virtual" means seeming to be, but not actually being something, whereas "reality" is the state or quality of being real. Actual = real, so virtual reality is "something that seems real, but really isn't". If it is not reality, it can only be a ficticious construct. Therefore, virtual reality does not exist.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

What is real? How do you define real?

~~~Darth Caedus

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

What is real? How do you define real?

Existing as a non-ficticious thing; being factual, rather than hypothetial.
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

full on virtual reality probably wont ever exist in this life time, it would be really fun to hook up some wires and a helmet, lay down and be in a complete open world game, i could spend hours in that. but it would be too hard to make with current technology

Showing 1-8 of 8