ForumsThe TavernLe Tour de France 2014

22 11337
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

So, today was the first stage of the world's greatest bicycle race. This thread is for discussing the tour as it progresses. I'd like to know who you think:

1. Will win the Tour.
2. Will win the Green Jersey.
3. Will win the King of the Mountains.
4. Will get caught doping.

I think:
1. With the only time trial an individual one after the mountain stages, and more stages spent in the hills, the odds look to be swung in the favour of Contador or Valverde, rather than Froome, the defending champion.
2. Cavendish would be the main contender, but he dislocated his shoulder today, so could be out of the running. That leaves Sagan, Greipel, and Kittel, who all have their individual strengths, but I think Sagan's superior tactics might clinch it.
3. No clue. This is often one of the more open competitions, in my opinion.
4. Whoever you least expect.

• 22 Replies
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I think it's too early to say who would win the yellow jersey.
I would bet on a French to get the polka dot jersey this year.
I also think Sagan could get the green jersey because he's much smarter than the other guys by winning many intermediary stages but I must say Kittel and his team look pretty solid so we'll see.

That's a shame what happened to Cavendish but he was a little reckless with his head butting business.
Candelara almost pulled it off by coming out of nowhere and trying to win the first stage in the last couple hundred meters, that would have been cool if he had succeeded.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Candelara

Oops I misspelled his name, it's Cancellara.
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester
Seashark001
Seashark001
613 posts
Nomad

I dont really understand why the tour de FRANCE starts in Yorkshire.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I dont really understand why the tour de FRANCE starts in Yorkshire.

Two reasons:
1. More money can be made.
2. Foreign excursions give a greater variety of environments.
Seashark001
Seashark001
613 posts
Nomad

I get what you are saying, but could this not be just the start of British capitalization of European sport?

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

@Seashark001

Er, no. The Tour usually takes foreign excursions to Spain, Switzerland, Belgium and/or England. This year's are in England and Belgium.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Nibali won stage 2 That was a nasty stage BTW with 9 climbs!
Even though they were small mountains, it's always fun to watch them fight each other while climbing and suffering.
Another thing I liked is when that old spectator with a camera learned his lesson.
Next time he'll keep his distance when the racers pass by.
Boom, there went the camera and the old guy! xD xD

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Go Armstrong! =D

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Go Armstrong! =D

o_O

So, Kittel won the stage won today, but I don't think he'll be able to win the overall points competition, as he can't match Sagan on climbs. Stage 5 (which has cobbles) should be the one where big gaps open up in the overall standings.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Stage 5 (which has cobbles) should be the one where big gaps open up in the overall standings.

Yeah and broken collar bones, wrists and ribs. I'm glad I don't have to do it because I've rode on cobblestone streets and the vibrations in your wrist are really annoying and painful, especially at high speed. I think it's a little kamikaze to include those in the TDF.

Anyway today's stage was incredibly boring, except for the last 5 minutes.
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Anyway today's stage was incredibly boring, except for the last 5 minutes.

Basically. Some people broke away early on, then got caught near-ish to the finish.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Wow today's race was a man's race. So much carnage! Froome is out of the Tour, Nibali wins the Yellow Jersey and what's is name again who won the stage?
BTW,as anyone mentioned the hot podium babe who gives the green jersey?
YUM! xD

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

what's is name again

Lars Boom. I admire the fact he kept up the pace all the way to the finish.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Greipel wins the stage, team Sky lose another rider on another rainy day where many riders also crashed. There were quite a few groups on the road today which is unusual for a flat stage, usually they come to the finish line in a big group.

Showing 1-15 of 22