ForumsWEPRAre white males portrayed as "wimps" by the media?

44 24787
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I've seen it all to often- a white male, usually very untanned and soft looking (as if to exaggerate the point), is made to look either wimpy, stupid, slow, or all of these things on a TV commercial. The person portrayed as intelligent and informed in such a commercial is almost always non-white or female. Before we continue let me state that I have absolutely nothing against non-whites in any way at all. Some of the nicest people I have ever known have been non-white. Now continuing on, do you think that there is or notice such a media-generated stereotype of white males? I find it difficult to think that there isn't; from car insurance ads to tech commercials I find it very annoyingly present and lame. Now I obviously don't disagree that there are white males are like this, because there just are. But there are wimpy men in all races as there are strong men in all races. Thoughts? Comments?

• 44 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

No.

Where'd you get the idea?

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Where'd you get the idea?

I have a feeling that you didn't read anything I wrote except the title. You probably then posted a hasty emotional response. Care to read what I wrote and retry?
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I have a feeling that you didn't read anything I wrote except the title. You probably then posted a hasty emotional response. Care to read what I wrote and retry?

I read the whole thing. It's just that I've never noticed this and I was wondering where you got the idea from. 'car insurance ads to tech commercials' is not very descriptive.
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I am hesitant to post links to ads. That's against the rules I thought.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

wat

It's against the rules to advertise something but you can't be blamed for posting a SFW ad that supports your argument.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I'm looking up a few appropriate examples...please wait.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Take your time. I'm in no rush.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

It seems that I can only find anti-nonwhite hate material for the moment. This stinks. I am just looking for the stereotype commercials that I see, not this crap. I'll try to just remember the commercials themselves and look them up on YouTube.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

- Here's some

I'll make an argument against but it'll take a while.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

It's this kind of thing that I'm talking about:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYil_SDS12g[/url]

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

But Flo and her partner are both white. Plus the "Other Insurance Guys" have been in Progressive commercials for years. That's cherry-picking gone bad.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I didn't say anything about it being new.
I'm trying to remember what other commercials were selling.
I just have this general broad impression of this stereotype.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Article states that the audience of the company will be featured in their ad. 74.2% of Americans are of European descent (essentially white), so about 37.1% are white males (74.2 / 2). Therefore it is most likely an illusory correlation because there being a huge amount of white males will undoubtedly lead to a huge number of commercial types being about the race and gender.

I didn't say anything about it being new.
I'm trying to remember what other commercials were selling.
I just have this general broad impression of this stereotype.

Okay, but that still was a bad example.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Okay, but that still was a bad example.

I can agree, but I hope that that can get the idea around a bit until I find something better.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I'll rephrase what I said in my last post: have you considered that since there are so many white males in the country, some commercials just happen to have dinky white guys?

Also this. (Even if it is a little juvenile)

Showing 1-15 of 44