ForumsWEPRWind Power is supposedly "green"

23 13655
Planemaster13
Planemaster13
35 posts
Nomad

What do you think about Wind Power. What features do you like about it?If anything, I think wind power is a bad source of power and these are some of my thoughts.

1: You need to mine and refine some rather valuable and rare materials to make the actual turbines

2: They have a short lifespan (15-20 years)

3: Their lifespan shortens more if they are in the sea because of the water and salt erosion (10-15 years)

4: A wind turbine produces enough power to power one house so you need quite a few to power some large towns which means every 15-20 years you'd need replace a lot of turbines.

5: Each turbine costs 1-2$ Million plus making, mining and refining some of the materials will make it even more expensive on the other end.

6: You need to build roads to the turbines so you can get vehicles to maintain them.

7: There are days when no wind is present so basically there's no power... Some would say that you'd need energy storage. Has anyone given a thought on how a big battery to store the energy would take build and how much excess power there would be...

8: People say wind power keeps the environment clean. If that's true then why does it also erode the environment?

9: Not many people will get this but doesn't wind power take the power out of the wind? Just ponder on it for a few minutes...

So what are your opinions on wind power? Do you think it's good and do you have any opinions that counter my opinions and what other energies could we use?

• 23 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I feel that wind power isn't a reliable source of energy and we should research other, less costly and efficient techniques in producing energy.

What other forms of energy would you suggest?
Planemaster13
Planemaster13
35 posts
Nomad

What other forms of energy would you suggest

Hmmmm, I have theoretical ideas but they're pretty bad...

Some sort of continuos motion that involves you putting electricity as it's fuel to keep it running to make more electricity than the electricity in the first place. You would probably needs a vacuum to have less friction on the motion.

Biological energy,
In our nervous system, we have tiny amounts of electricity being made to let your brain know everything feel physically and many other different things. What would happen if we were to genetically engineer something to produce electricity if we keep it supplied with food or other edible substances.

Well those are mine...

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Some sort of continuos motion that involves you putting electricity as it's fuel to keep it running to make more electricity than the electricity in the first place. You would probably needs a vacuum to have less friction on the motion.

There is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine.

Biological energy,
In our nervous system, we have tiny amounts of electricity being made to let your brain know everything feel physically and many other different things. What would happen if we were to genetically engineer something to produce electricity if we keep it supplied with food or other edible substances.

Well those are mine...

I don't think the Matrix is a viable energy source.

~~~Darth Caedus
Planemaster13
Planemaster13
35 posts
Nomad

here is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine.

What about in space where the physics are different... Even if it did work you would need giant wires going down to earth...

I don't think the Matrix is a viable energy source

Matrix?

Ideas are pretty bad anyway.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Unfortunately perpetual motion violates the laws of physics. However bio-batteries and living batteries do exist. For example.

Planemaster13
Planemaster13
35 posts
Nomad

Unfortunately perpetual motion violates the laws of physics. However bio-batteries and living batteries do exist. For example.

Pretty cool.

But what is a Matrix as someone said on the last page
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

But what is a Matrix as someone said on the last page

In the movie The Matrix robots hook humans up to a virtual really while in real life harvest the small amount of electrical energy their bodies generate, essentially turning humanity into a network of living batteries.
Planemaster13
Planemaster13
35 posts
Nomad

Ok

Showing 16-23 of 23