ForumsWEPR[necro]Why are men, no, boys my age so base?

23 14197
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I am an 18 year old male and I am sorry to say that I don't have much respect for other males my age. The key in the preceding sentence is the word "male"- notice how I avoided the word "man". Whenever I meet males my age, it is not long before they begin using their advanced rhetoric and big boy vocabulary to make up garbage about how they [edited] the previous night and how "enormous" their [male genitals] are and how "small" mine are. This kind of speech and behavior is base and incredibly far below my level. Why do I run into so many of these overgrown, foul-mouthed children? Do males my age possess any sort of capacity for intelligent thought and/or conversation? I will gladly not have any male friends for as long as it takes until I can find people like me that I can relate to. I have intelligent and constructive hobbies and interests (you can read about them on my profile).
I've been motivated to start a thread like this in spite of recent events that I've experienced. I am going to use my local basketball court as the setting to describe some of these people that I've been referring to. I go there a lot and I interact with many people there. Some names have been changed slightly.

Males at my local basketball court:

John: The local overweight bully with an incredibly foul mouth who enjoys harassing the smaller boys at the court as well as me. He calls me an interesting array of foul things and I have the honor of being sucker punched by him in the head or back regularly. If I'm really lucky, he'll kick me in the groin.

Gary: The local idiot who is always walking around the place, following people around, and generally acting weird. He ain't too bad of a guy though.

Me: "I just wanna play basketball, I don't want to hear this crap."

That Insane Guys from The Netherlands: This would be an entire thread topic by itself, so let's let it rest.

Larry: Works at the front desk at the court. Aged 50 or so. Is by far the nicest guy in there.

Everybody else (89%): first paragraph ^

This concludes things for the moment. It's your turn now to share your own thoughts, advice, comments, and personal stories.

ps, I am sorry if I've made any errors in my writing. I haven't slept all night and I'm pretty weary right now!

• 23 Replies
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

I knew a guy who thought he was tough, I thought he was tough too. I smacked the hell out of him one day by mistake. That was fun. He attempted to hit me in the groin one time. I succesfully hit him in the face. We came to an understanding. I knew a guy who was wouldn't stop saying horrible things about my girlfreind, things most people here would have hit him with a baseball bat for. I calmly asked him not to do that anymore, he got an attitude with me for it. Things escalated, QUICKLY. He still won't look me in the eye. That was the same guy that knocked out by a 6'4 black guy for rascist remarks. He got knocked out by a 6'2 ginger. He got knocked out by a big angry fat guy. Then he wanted to make me mad. As I said before, he still won't look me in the eye.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I am going to use my local basketball court as the setting to describe some of these people that I've been referring to. I go there a lot and I interact with many people there.

That's the problem, right there. The average teenage basketball player cannot be expected to behave in a mature or dignified manner. You'd be better off interacting with other people.
crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

I am an 18 year old male and I am sorry to say that I don't have much respect for other males my age. The key in the preceding sentence is the word "male"- notice how I avoided the word "man". Whenever I meet males my age, it is not long before they begin using their advanced rhetoric and big boy vocabulary to make up garbage about how they [edited] the previous night and how "enormous" their [male genitals] are and how "small" mine are. This kind of speech and behavior is base and incredibly far below my level. Why do I run into so many of these overgrown, foul-mouthed children? Do males my age possess any sort of capacity for intelligent thought and/or conversation? I will gladly not have any male friends for as long as it takes until I can find people like me that I can relate to. I have intelligent and constructive hobbies and interests (you can read about them on my profile).
I've been motivated to start a thread like this in spite of recent events that I've experienced. I am going to use my local basketball court as the setting to describe some of these people that I've been referring to. I go there a lot and I interact with many people there. Some names have been changed slightly.

Males at my local basketball court:

John: The local overweight bully with an incredibly foul mouth who enjoys harassing the smaller boys at the court as well as me. He calls me an interesting array of foul things and I have the honor of being sucker punched by him in the head or back regularly. If I'm really lucky, he'll kick me in the groin.

Gary: The local idiot who is always walking around the place, following people around, and generally acting weird. He ain't too bad of a guy though.

Me: "I just wanna play basketball, I don't want to hear this crap."

That Insane Guys from The Netherlands: This would be an entire thread topic by itself, so let's let it rest.

Larry: Works at the front desk at the court. Aged 50 or so. Is by far the nicest guy in there.

Everybody else (89%): first paragraph ^

This concludes things for the moment. It's your turn now to share your own thoughts, advice, comments, and personal stories.

ps, I am sorry if I've made any errors in my writing. I haven't slept all night and I'm pretty weary right now!

All of your problems can be solved by joining a gym for 12 weeks on a high protein diet.

I know you're not going to do that, but you're 18 and you're letting yourself get pushed around like an 8-year old. Maybe if you act like a man people will treat you like one?
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Why do I run into so many of these overgrown, foul-mouthed children?

Without reading any further, I'm going to say right now it's because the majority of people are idiots. The reason you run into so many of them is because statistically they vastly outnumber smarter, more polite and more mature people, and because of those very same traits, they are the easiest to see.

If you want to meet other people that are not like as described previously, you have to change your approach. Go to places that share your interests. Look beyond the obnoxious people who stand out for the ones in the background that are distancing themselves from said idiots.

All of the people you want to be around are in the higher level classes at school and pursuing their hobbies out of the spotlight. The people you want to avoid are shoving themselves into everyone's face unaware of how they're being an ******* and parading around like a bunch of horny pea****s looking for approval from their peers in the only ways they know how - by acting horny and being a dumbass.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Without reading any further, I'm going to say right now it's because the majority of people are idiots. The reason you run into so many of them is because statistically they vastly outnumber smarter, more polite and more mature people, and because of those very same traits, they are the easiest to see.

If you want to meet other people that are not like as described previously, you have to change your approach. Go to places that share your interests. Look beyond the obnoxious people who stand out for the ones in the background that are distancing themselves from said idiots.

1 of the most truthful things ive ever readed on this forum..

All of the people you want to be around are in the higher level classes at school

this not anymore.
you dont have to be smart in learning things, to be socially smart. math doesn't make you more polite and mature. (literature does tho =) )

I am going to use my local basketball court as the setting to describe some of these people that I've been referring to. I go there a lot and I interact with many people there.

hmm.. why do you go there often and interact with them? you do not seem to like them...
"We accept the love that we think we deserve" - Stephen Chbosky
do you deserve more?
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

All of your problems can be solved by joining a gym for 12 weeks on a high protein diet.

I know you're not going to do that, but you're 18 and you're letting yourself get pushed around like an 8-year old. Maybe if you act like a man people will treat you like one?

WHO THE HELL are you to talk to me like this, you dog! If you think that being a base pig makes you a man, then get out of here and go back to the stone you crawled out from underneath.

hmm.. why do you go there often and interact with them? you do not seem to like them...
"We accept the love that we think we deserve" - Stephen Chbosky
do you deserve more?

Yes I do.

Finally, I agree with user Kasic entirely. Well said , man.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

You just judged all of the 18 year old men in the world based on the actions of four people. Then you insulted all of them, despite the fact that you don't know them. Yeah, that isn't nice. For me, I usually treat people the way they treat me. I'm not really sure who started the bickering at the b-ball court, but it'll go away if you don't sling mud back.
Anyways, don't judge everyone based on these four people who, for whatever reason, you don't get along with. You just need to go and talk with other people. The majority of the human species is not evil if you give them the chance. You just can't go into these situations thinking, "Everyone in the world sucks, I am better than all of you" because most people won't really like that. Then they may or may not say some of those foul things you mentioned earlier.
tl;dr
Be nice to people and most people will be nice back. If they aren't, stop talking to them and make new friends. Also don't insult a large group of people like that again. It won't really go over well.

TerminatorXM214
TerminatorXM214
222 posts
Blacksmith

WHO THE HELL are you to talk to me like this, you dog! If you think that being a base pig makes you a man, then get out of here and go back to the stone you crawled out from underneath.

Cough cough

*complains about state of teenage males
*someone tries to give advice
*screams "insult, insult"

Sorry, but that's just too ironic. BTW, calling someone a dog is one of the basest and most asinine things to call someone.

I'm having a little trouble with this whole thread though.
I've met girls like that, I've met 9 year-olds like that, I've met 50 year-olds like that. It's not "boys your age", it's humans. But on the other hand, I've met a 7 year-old with the pristine vocabulary of a high school textbook, I've met a 19 year-old who has more maturity than many people 20 years their senior.

I think the question here is not, "why are boys my age so base", instead, "why am I so base?"

As Kasic said, your problem would be solved if you kept company with different groups of people. This is your choice to be with this group. If it's just a few people you have a problem with, you could even invite the ones you like at another time or place, so you don't have to deal with the bullies.

I'm seeing you be every bit as base as those guys though. "John" bullies people, that's obviously contemptible, but you are allowing yourself to be bullied, then complaining about it, and then, you blow up at someone trying to give advice. That is so very base, and makes you seem like an arrogant prig.
I've only seen a few of your posts and threads, and it seems like you are unable to
possess any sort of capacity for intelligent thought and/or conversation

This thread is hypocritical. You claim to
gladly not have any male friends for as long as it takes until I can find people like me that I can relate to

but do you mean that? Aside from the fact that you seem as base as them (and thus can relate to them), it seems like you really aren't open to trying to find new friends, because this appears to be a problem that has been continuing for an extended length of time. Surely you have human interaction aside from that basketball court. If I, who lives in a drug-ridden town, can find good friends, I would bet that you could too.

Regarding the opposition to physical training, I really... just... wow.

I used to be bullied, and had things happen to me that I doubt you could even imagine. Then I taught myself martial arts, changed my eating habits, and strength trained. So far, I haven't needed to resort to physical force. Mainly because people noticed that I wasn't just a skinny, uncoordinated kid. I looked like someone they didn't want to mess with.
Adding to that, being able to physically defend yourself doesn't make you a "base pig" (I actually take offense at that). A man will stand up for himself, his morals, and others. A base pig is someone who allows himself to be bullied, then whines, and keeps going because they subconsciously like the drama of it. It's one thing to "turn the other cheek", it's another to not do anything and then complain.

So please, before you make an internet forum post about how bad your situation is, realize that you are actually describing yourself.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

But he wants to play basketball. Unless another gym exists within a reasonable distance, minus the obnoxious people, then he would have less of a case, but I find that unlikely. Yeah, he'd be better off with other people, but as it stands those people do not spend time on the court.

It isn't a perfect solution, I know, but, short of something illegal, it's probably the most effective. Because people who never mature can't function in other aspects of society, popular sport is often where they end up. There may not be any means of working around it.

Sorry, but that's just too ironic. BTW, calling someone a dog is one of the basest and most asinine things to call someone.

A man will stand up for himself, his morals, and others. A base pig is someone who allows himself to be bullied, then whines, and keeps going because they subconsciously like the drama of it.

I don't mean to nitpick, but surely there's something else we can associate this behaviour with. I can confidently say that no dog, pig, or *** has ever behaved in such a way, so there really isn't any meaning to these metaphors. Unfortunately, there is nothing sub-human - or even uncommon - about the baseness described here.
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I guess this is just going to turn into another "lets attack @themastaplaya" situation where everyone tries to turn everything back around and make me out to be a terrible person. Instead, I'm going to act like the better person (since I am) and ignore your disgusting insults. I am going to attempt to carry on and keep all of you on track.
The reason I chose "boys my age" is because I notice that males aged adolescent through 20s are distinctively more immature and foul-mouthed than everyone else that I meet. I wanted to know who or what causes them to think and behave this way and why they seem so uncomfortable and hateful towards me. Does anyone want to contribute constructively, or do you just want to keep attacking me? Yes, I agree that I shouldn't have responded that way toward user Crazyape, but my being upset and briefly overreacting doesn't merit you to go on a ranting spree about how I am so awful.

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

The reason I chose "boys my age" is because I notice that males aged adolescent through 20s are distinctively more immature and foul-mouthed than everyone else that I meet.

That may be the case in most people around your age, but I'm friends with guys around that age, and they're not immature, as you put it. They are quite polite and friendly to everyone. You just gotta keep looking.
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Deep down inside I know that there are nice people my age around, but where are they? Sooo maany jerks everywhere I go! The ones at the gym, the ones at the grocery store that want to get in mt face and fight me for no apparent reason (I'm 6'5", so made they feel intimidated and jealous, i dunno), the ones who flip out and and road rage me for driving the speed limit, the ones who.. well you get it. I don't no what's wrong. I'm not doing or saying anything to them, so what is their problem? I"m beginning to generally see myself as a kind, intelligent, quiet person who is surrounded by hordes of malevolent beasts.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Deep down inside I know that there are nice people my age around, but where are they? Sooo maany jerks everywhere I go! The ones at the gym, the ones at the grocery store that want to get in mt face and fight me for no apparent reason (I'm 6'5", so made they feel intimidated and jealous, i dunno), the ones who flip out and and road rage me for driving the speed limit, the ones who.. well you get it. I don't no what's wrong. I'm not doing or saying anything to them, so what is their problem? I"m beginning to generally see myself as a kind, intelligent, quiet person who is surrounded by hordes of malevolent beasts

Careful with the narcissism. You keep saying that you're better than all these other people, but you're not. You're different is all. The things they find fun and interesting are not so in your opinion. How other people act may seem stupid or immature (and it may be) but you're the odd one out. Don't get so puffed up that you start acting like an arrogant snob because that will drive away every person who's worth being friends with. A lot of how people act and react is based on body language and tone of voice. I wouldn't be surprised if people are hostile with you because you're hostile with them, perhaps unknowingly.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are attacking. In the instance of this thread, you swung first and that was bound to get a reaction. It isn't specifically you. Anyone could have said the same thing and gotten the same results. Just putting that out there, you're no victim.

Like I said last time, just be nice to people. You might not know it but you could be unintentionally offending people or things like that. I can't really help you much though since I can't see you interacting with other people. Just try to be nice and if they aren't nice back, they don't matter and don't talk to them. I also agree with Kasic. Don't think of yourself as better than people, because people won't like that.

minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

If youre having that problems with those guy's behavior maybe they have some problems on home or something like that ? because i have knew a friend of mine that was agressive and had a lot of problems at home and he bulied people and by bully i dont mean fighting i mean of insulting but things at his home became more lets say "nice" and he is now one of my best friends , i would say to defend yourself against them but not with punchs use the words only no need to go violent , in my case if they insult me its something if they insult of my familiars or something i can go very mad at that , im wondering waht things they said/do to you and the qay you would act at it .

Showing 1-15 of 23