ForumsWEPREbola Outbreak in The US?

50 22737
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the news, US doctors from West Africa who are helping curb the spread of Ebola there have contracted the disease themselves. They are being brought here to continue treatment. If they are brought here in the US, is there a possibility for an Ebola outbreak in the US?

• 50 Replies
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

You might be right. I was couching a lot though and I had muscle ache.

@SSTG

I have a headache right now.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I have a headache right now.

Are you sure it's not allergy? xD
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Are you sure it's not allergy? xD

No, it was caused by lack of sleep. I must get to bed earlier!
;D
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Thankfully, the US government is taking preventative measures to curb the spread of Ebola here.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Question: If Chris Mathews contracted Ebola, would he still be full of crap?

ShinyCowBeast
ShinyCowBeast
120 posts
Nomad

Ebola is not airborne, luckily.

Technically it isn't airborne, but every time someone coughs they send out small droplets of bodily fluid in a fairly sizeable area, and ebola is supposed to be able to survive on surfaces for a couple hours. So if an ebola patient coughs, and those droplets get on someone else or someone else touches where they have landed and then rubs their eyes or something, they suddenly have ebola. So though it's not airborne, it has the potential to spread to people who have no contact with the infected person, in the waiting room of an ER for example.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I'm not sure, I've asked myself the same question. The WHO states that airborne transmission has not been documented yet. In my understanding, airborne transmission and droplet transmission are synonyms. Of course that theoretically contradicts the "bodily fluids" transmission, but it could simply be due to a very low concentraion of viruses in the lungs.

Do you know of a documented case where droplet infection of an Ebola virus happened?

ShinyCowBeast
ShinyCowBeast
120 posts
Nomad

Not of any documented cases, no. But we had only a few cases in the U.S., and most of these initial infections were not closely observed as they took place in Africa. Of the cases in the African population, it would be very hard to trace the source of an infection, particularly when symptoms take so long to appear.
But here's a short page about the theory of it nonetheless, in regards to inhaled droplets.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

'Experiment' would be a better word, but I'm nitpicking. Seems there are also a few more recent studies on that page, my only problem is that I didn't see an indication for the virus concentration in droplets of an infected human anywhere (at least not in the abstracts). So although the virus seems to have the potential to infect via airborne transmission, we actually don't know if humans are infectious through that way.
Though I guess in a case when you're next to a patient, you're better safe than sorry

HylainHero
HylainHero
4 posts
Nomad

Looks like someones been watching too much Fox News...

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Looks like someones been watching too much Fox News...

Fox News actually responded quite responsibly about Ebola

TheFriendlyDuck
TheFriendlyDuck
24 posts
Nomad

[url=http://i.imgur.com/jHPlTvZ.jpg]

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

so is there a outbreak yet?

anyway, soon you all can be relieved cause as of 6 jan. 2015 the dutch company Curcell has successfully made a vaccine for ebola. only have to wait till sept. 2015 for the test results about using it safely on humans.. after that it can be spread globally in just a few weeks/months...

WHDH
WHDH
168 posts
Shepherd

Europe is in more danger.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Europe is in more danger

BS!!
Showing 31-45 of 50