ForumsGamesGreat and Terrible Controllers

6 2909
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Controllers can influence your whole experience of a game, for better... or worse.

The XBox 360 controller is almost without fault (Almost. The disk D-Pad is just annoying), and if there was only one controller for all consoles I would choose this one. Everything from the action of the triggers to the plastic it's made from are just right.

At the other end of the scale is the Sega Dreamcast controller. The ergonomics are completely off. The grips are too square to be comfortable, and the triggers are much too far up them to be used properly. With a few tweaks, it would be fine. As it is, it's awful.

• 6 Replies
Crickster
Crickster
1,795 posts
Blacksmith

the only controllers i've used was the ps3 and xbox 360 controllers (ps3's is like the ps2's) and i like playstaiton controllers better because i'm used to the smaller size and having both anglog stick nearer is more pratical but that doesen't mean the xbox ones are bad it just means i prefare playstaition

Chaosemerald12
Chaosemerald12
36 posts
Nomad

The Genesis controller is beautiful, and for me, perfect. It's so simple!

On the other side is the Gamecube controller. Oh, the horror of TWO analog sticks, one called the analog and the other called the "c" stick.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Unlike Chaos up there, my favorite(that I've used) controller has got to be the GameCube controller. It just feels so comfortable and my hands feel like they have so much room. Plus for a bonus the GameCube was my first system, so there's memory value.

As for a bad controller... I can't really think of a bad one. The first one that comes to mind is that Spiderman joystick controller.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsskzxaBb4JJpd6Fo83_igrlu2t9zkpoSSooptVPUYvJyur2-3-lDXOko
Just look at it.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

As for a bad controller... I can't really think of a bad one. The first one that comes to mind is that Spiderman joystick controller.

I.... I actually had that...

GameCube is definitely my favorite. Ps3 is a close second due to how I don't play the GameCube much anymore and have become very used to ps3 controls. The 360 controller is alright I guess, but it kinda throws me off, again because I'm just used to the ps3.

I don't really have a worst controller, but I never was really fond of the N64's. The analog stick in the middle threw me off, but like the others I just never got used to it.
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Me too. I threw it out the window.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I think I still have it somewhere.

I also have one where it's this batman controller, but it isn't a joystick. More like an actual controller.
Showing 1-6 of 6