ForumsWEPRIs the Slaying of a Person Accidentally Considered Murder?

21 12127
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Before you judge me and say that there's no such thing as an 'Accidental Slaying,' read the following, then state your opinion.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are chopping firewood for one of your friends. The ax that you are using is brand-new, and is very sharp. Your friend comes up behind you, wanting to ask you a question. Not hearing him or seeing him coming, you swing the ax over your head. The ax hits your friend in the head, killing him. As you turn around to see what that thud was, you gasp in horror as you see your friend's body, lying on the ground.

• 21 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

It is merely stating an example of how the Bible, or as one might put it, 'bronze-age laws,' is still relevant.

Modern laws against murder (and other violations of human rights) supersede religious freedom. If the bible told you that killing people is necessary (which it does) as long as the victims are witches/sorceresses/mediums, homosexuals, people who follow other religions, etc, a court would dismiss that defense.
Seashark001
Seashark001
613 posts
Nomad

This is more of a political view, than a religious one.

In modern British law, as far as I am aware, murder has to be pre-meditated (has to be planned/considered beforehand), but if it isn't, then its considered manslaughter.

E.g.

If Bob hit Alex's car, and Alex came to his car door on the roadside, in which time Bob decided to slayhim, and did so, then that would be murder.

If Bob hit Alex's car, and Alex came to his car door on the roadside, in which time Bob made no decision on what to do with Alex, and they had a row, when Bob threw a punch, and killed Alex, that would be manslaughter.

That's as far as I can grasp it, so i might be wrong...

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

In modern British law, as far as I am aware, murder has to be pre-meditated (has to be planned/considered beforehand), but if it isn't, then its considered manslaughter.

That's pretty much how it works in America too, minus a few differences. Here's a new twist on this topic that's relevant. In a recent sprint car event, Tony Stewart accidentally hit and killed another racer, Kevin Ward, Jr. read about it here. Does the video seen in that article give enough evidence to prove that Tony Stewart is innocent, and does he deserve to be charged with a crime?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Does the video seen in that article give enough evidence to prove that Tony Stewart is innocent,

Of course he is innocent.

Guy in black suite runs out in the middle of a RACE TRACK in a setting that would make him difficult to spot ('cause of black suite) and runs in front of Stewart's vehicle
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Getting mad and throwing a fit over a race is not worth dying for.

In any situation where you get really angry and almost feel like killing someone, DON'T. It's not worth it.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

In any situation where you get really angry and almost feel like killing someone, DON'T. It's not worth it.

wut

you went a completely different path than the quote
Showing 16-21 of 21