ForumsForum GamesCount to 100 Discussion Thread

242 205939
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

This is a discussion thread regarding rules and gameplay of 'Count to 100', so that the count isn't frequently interrupted and restarted when a mod posts.

Posts not on topic will be removed.

• 242 Replies
Olinser
Olinser
650 posts
King

Now the resident troll has figured out that if a post gets reported enough it gets hidden, meaning he is now deleting numbers from the sequence.

This is seriously getting ridiculous, a mod needs to be actually willing to impose consequences for trolling

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Now the resident troll has figured out that if a post gets reported enough it gets hidden, meaning he is now deleting numbers from the sequence.

This is seriously getting ridiculous, a mod needs to be actually willing to impose consequences for trolling

Numberless posts are supposed to be ignored, so you should not be feeding the troll.

As for the the mods being willing to impose consequences for trolling, I agree with you there, and I have already stated that they are able to do just that.

Additional Point: The last resort is to lock Count to 100, but the point of this thread is to prevent that. I just wanted to remind everyone that Count to 100 can be locked at any time.
Olinser
Olinser
650 posts
King

You're either intentionally missing the point or not understand what I'm saying.

IGNORING HIM ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH

HE PURPOSEFULLY MAKES 'MISTAKES' THAT RESET THE THREAD.

Simply ignoring him isn't good enough since he always manages to make somebody ELSE screw up.

Now he's actively using multiple accounts to hide posts and screw the count up further.

Until he is removed and anti-troll measures put in place the thread is pointless to continue.

This is supposed to be a test of teamwork, not a test of how well you can ignore trolls.

Olinser
Olinser
650 posts
King

@gantic Although, considering he had to use multiple accounts to report and hide posts, I'm sure you could identify which accounts he is using. I'm about 99% sure it's kalkanadam

Jasza676
Jasza676
225 posts
Count

What is going on in the topic right now? Like... my posts are removed right after posting them for no reason, while obvious troll just sits there.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

What is going on in the topic right now? Like... my posts are removed right after posting them for no reason, while obvious troll just sits there.

Either a mod is deleting your posts, or multiple users are flagging your posts, which also causes a deletion. Btw, the old count no longer applies because there is no 27.

Also, the mods should still do something about the current situation with the troll(s).
Jasza676
Jasza676
225 posts
Count

27 was hidden by flagging, while it exists (or "ed&quot.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

27 was hidden by flagging, while it exists (or "ed&quot.

No post can be undeleted as far as I know, regardless of how it was deleted. This means that a deletion via flagging is just as real as a deletion by a mod.
Olinser
Olinser
650 posts
King

Which is exactly what I said. The troll logged on to multiple accounts, reported the '27' post enough to get it hidden (along with other numbers further along), then made a post announcing that we no longer had a 27, basically bragging about it.

The thread is literally pointless to continue until the troll is dealt with.

Jasza676
Jasza676
225 posts
Count

And BTW they should be punished for being offensive, like calling people "noobs" and saying stuff like "your mom's d**do". (kalkandam and Hyper Potato)

Olinser
Olinser
650 posts
King

He's in 'bragging' mode. He's successfully trolled the thread for hours, continuously screwing up the count, and has faced no consequences.

Now he's not even pretending he's not trolling.

Jasza676
Jasza676
225 posts
Count

Oh, all the "removed" posts are now visible back again.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

It turns out I was wrong about undeletions, because the 8 post showed up again after appearing to be deleted. Other than that, I won't argue anyone in this post.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

'Count to 100' should be back to 'normal' for now.

I don't know if there will be a blacklist. Lists, posts, threads, etc that negatively impact another user's experience are not and should not be allowed, even if a moderator is running it. I'm a bit more strait-laced than the other moderators in some regards and if a user can't participate properly in a community setting, then they really shouldn't be on the forums at all.

I don't know if we can remove quests, as that might be more trouble than it is worth. Messing with the count might just lead to straight bans instead.

'Count to 100' really wasn't built for a forum with edits and whatever new forum features the admins might roll out. It worked well for the simpler bare-bones built-from-scratch forum of AG2, but we'll have to adapt to whatever changes there may be. But I do have to note that there is an over-reliance on the 'Edit' feature. It basically covers up mistakes and is a 'Get out of Jail' card for the 'No Mistakes' rule, and that's only as good as your internet speed. (Don't bank on anything slower than 2 Mbps.) What's worse is when multiple users pile on. The optimum number of users participating is around 3-4 at a regular pace of 1-2 posts per minute. It's easier to wait it out for a calmer time and coordinate with two or three other users to get the count done. Sure, some users might pile in when the count is high and the high 90s is especially dangerous, but it's been proven that it's possible to reach 100, or there wouldn't be a quest in the first place. Teamwork requires a bit of sacrifice and once you get the teamwork down, strategy with a bit of meta-gaming is the best bet. Anyone who can truly get a successful count going really deserves the quest.

However, should the thread prove untenable, then the lucky few who earned it, earned it. It's not even something I think the mods/admins will be able to earn (without cheating), even if we might know when users are least active, but users outnumber us, and this is really just a quest for the users for the community achieved through teamwork.

But yeah, #1 rule for the community: Don't mess with the community. Workarounds for trolling are a bit difficult from the user's side. The 'RULES' will continue to change and adapt. The original set as only 6 lines long, but now it's three times that size. I have an idea for a new rule, but that will require discussion and will be presented in the next post.

@Olinser: For future reference, if you wish to report someone, do so on a moderator's profile and only leave comments about a situation there, instead of the forums. Calling users out in threads will only escalate the situation and it is not the proper place to discuss such matters. The only thing worse than that is calling out users on their own profile and that has always made things worse.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Gameplay Proposal #3: Allow over-counting is certain instances.

What is it?
Over-counting is counting past 100. I'm considering allowing it in the instance that a troll-post is skipped.

Suppose that a post is considered a troll-post and that the last legitimate number was '18.' In that case, users would count up to '118' instead of just '100'. If it is considered a troll-post, then users just counted an extra 18 posts, so nothing big is lost. Should a moderator consider it to be a legitimate mistake, then users would still have essentially counted to 100.

Example:
1 - 18 (not troll) - 100 = No Good.
1 - 18 (not troll) - 118 = Okay = 100 posts
1 - 18 (is troll) - 100 = Okay = 100 posts
1 - 18 (is troll) - 118 = Okay = 100 posts + 18 posts.

(EDIT: You still reset at mistakes. It's only after trollposts are ignored that you over-count.)
It's seemingly win-win. Maybe there are drawbacks I don't see yet.

Even though the thread is called 'Count to 100', 100 consecutive number posts is essentially the same. This can go up to however high is needed or until a moderator posts.

But, this is still 'Count to 100' and simply counting to 100 makes it far easier to verify that the count was correct and proper.

Showing 31-45 of 242