ForumsPopular MediaAny anime fans around here? XD

333 121273
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Hey you! *offers two cookies, a cup of weird looking orange tea and some loliness ^____^*

Okay so I was just wondering, how much of an anime fan are you? Feel free to talk about anything anime related in this topic!

• 333 Replies
Isigna
Isigna
51 posts
Blacksmith

@TheMostManlyMan , SnK has a lot of things that make people obsessed with it. I know I'm obsessed, and I know why.

It's really mature. When you know that the main character killed someone when he was, what, 9 years old; that the first supporting character saw both her parents killed in front of her eyes when she was also nine, and nearly got herself sold off to some paedophile at the same age; that another character basically used to be a thug and a drug dealer of-sorts before he joined the army... I could go on and on and on. These people - children, most of them - are fighting for their lives, and those same lives are actually realistic. That's what's frightening, and makes the characters so gripping. They were born miserable, and they grew up miserable, but something inside them made them choose to be strong instead of wallowing in their misery *cough*Kaneki Ken*cough*.

It's ****ing psychological. You have one kid who shoots himself in the head because that's the kind of world they live in. You have the Titans, who don't actually need to eat in order to survive, and don't even have any way of digesting them, but still tear humans apart - literally - for fun. You have incomprehension. You have torture - both physical and mental. You have war. You have the commons and you have the king and you have the soldiers, and you'd think that having 10 meter tall invincible giants as enemies would be enough for humanity, but no, you also have humans trying to destroy humans.

These are children, and these are soldiers. They are willing child soldiers, fighting for a cause that most people these days don't even realize exist, and that's what makes this show so great. It's realistic even though it's in a supernatural context. It's horrifically well written.

AND IT'S A DUCKING DEBUT-MANGA DUDE. The Mangaka has never drawn nor written nor published another manga in his life and yet his first one it's so good and I just AAAAH.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

I find that "darkness" in Attack on Titan to be forced and unrealistic actually. It just seems like they're jamming as much misery into these kids' lives as they can to make the show seem dark knowing that there are people who will latch onto that. In the process the writer has managed to shove aside several very important questions that leave the actual narrative lacking.

Plus there's a rift between the horrors the main characters experience and the way the world around them lives. There's a blatant corruption among the leaders yet the people are never bothered by it. They lost the majority of their land and a huge percentage of the population yet the only sign of that is a brief scene where Eren gets beat up by soldiers and a narration that tells us how many people died. Both of the inner circles just seem to go on living life like nothing happened other than some "improved" defenses near the gates of the outer cities. The only people who are ever shown to suffer from the titan attacks are Eren, Mikasa, and Armin. Everyone else shows some disgust at what the titans did and then moves on like nothing happened.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I studied japanese at the University and there were a lot of anime-addicted funs.

See "Weaboo"

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Sometimes one should take time to enjoy the simpler things in life, like the majority of the output of Hayao Miyazaki. Even compared to other japanese films, this stuff is trippy, but there's a great warmth in every frame of animation. If you've never seen one of his films, you definitely should. Start with his magnum opus Spirited Away, a story about a girl whose parents are turned into pigs by a witch, and then starts work at a bathhouse for spirits.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Does anyone watch Akame Ga Kill? Very new anime I think.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Does anyone watch Akame Ga Kill? Very new anime I think.

Yeah, first season either just ended or is going to end within the next episode or two. Although at the rate they're going I doubt it's going to have a second season.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Yeah, first season either just ended or is going to end within the next episode or two. Although at the rate they're going I doubt it's going to have a second season.

That's sad, it's actually a very good anime

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

That's sad, it's actually a very good anime

Well... MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD...

you can only kill off so many main characters before you run out of show. There are only 3 Jaegers left and 3 Night Raid members. There's no way Esdeath or the minister will survive the revolution and Tatsumi died in the last episode I watched (haven't seen this week's yet) and I'm betting Akame will die soon since there won't be much need for assassin's in the new empire they're trying to create and both Tatsumi and her sister are already dead. All in all that leaves Wave, Najenda, Wing, and Leone. Of those Leone and Wing are the only ones who haven't had a genuine love interest yet so there isn't much room for the shows future unless they come up with a new threat for a second season and a new cast.

Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

Anime, eh :3

I just got caught up on Kuroko's Basketball (Or Kuroko no Basket, whatever the heck you prefer). That was pretty epic.

What else... OH! I started watching Log Horizon! Im 5 episodes in. Not sure If I like SAO more yet... too early to tell

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Kuroko no Basket
Is that any good? I was looking a new anime but I didn't know if it was any good.

Not sure If I like SAO more yet... too early to tell
They are both very good, just in different ways. You remember the end of season 1 of SAO, you can't forget the end of season 1.
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

you can only kill off so many main characters before you run out of show. There are only 3 Jaegers left and 3 Night Raid members. There's no way Esdeath or the minister will survive the revolution and Tatsumi died in the last episode I watched (haven't seen this week's yet) and I'm betting Akame will die soon since there won't be much need for assassin's in the new empire they're trying to create and both Tatsumi and her sister are already dead. All in all that leaves Wave, Najenda, Wing, and Leone. Of those Leone and Wing are the only ones who haven't had a genuine love interest yet so there isn't much room for the shows future unless they come up with a new threat for a second season and a new cast.

I just finished it. Can I please cry in a corner now.

Saphire24
Saphire24
3,114 posts
Scribe

I love SAO! I keep up with the anime online, and it is my favourite anime so far!

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

It's a really good anime alright, I've also finished Baccano!, an extremely good anime in my opinion.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

somebody probably already said this. but "death note" is the best anime serie i've ever seen. best anime movie would probably be "paprika"

i've been looking for a anime that i of course forgot the name of. so i hope maybe somebody of you will know it and can tell me. (i think it was a serie)
it's about this group of (rebellion) kids that want to bring light back too the night because for some reason there are no stars in the sky anymore. they do this by using kites all over the city with strings of light attached... well 1st there is just this 1 kid that does this and he is a loner. and at 1st doesn't want the help of the other kids...
thats all i can remember of it, i know i loved it but somehow it got lost before i could finish it. =( i hope somebody can help me here...

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I got Akira for christmas. I'm looking forward to watching it.

Showing 61-75 of 333