ForumsPopular MediaAny anime fans around here? XD

333 121311
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Hey you! *offers two cookies, a cup of weird looking orange tea and some loliness ^____^*

Okay so I was just wondering, how much of an anime fan are you? Feel free to talk about anything anime related in this topic!

• 333 Replies
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Any good anime with a qt trap?

qt trap? Is that supposed to be phonetic for cute? If so then the anser is no. Any series with a trap is just going to wind up being some fanservice harem series and those are never truly good. If you don't care about the quality of the series there's Himegoto. It's a shame Guilty Gear doesn't have an anime series, everybody loves Bridget.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I watched up to episode 10 of Fullmetal Alchemist. I don't mind that there's a lot of one off "filler" episodes because I like the characters and want to see more of them, and it's nice to wind down in between the really messed up episodes.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

Finished watching One Outs. It was pretty good *nothing special* but the 'psychological' tag that it often receives is a bit of a stretch. Would I recommend it? If someone was asking about it, then yes, but I wouldn't mention it to somebody and tell them that they should watch it.

@09philj how do you survive only watching an anime episode every eternity or so? Seriously, though, half a month and you've watched 2 episodes of FMA. I wasn't really in a mood for something new today so I watched the first 2 episodes of FMA: Brotherhood.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

how do you survive only watching an anime episode every eternity or so?

Laziness and having lots of other things to do.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Finally finished Nadia. After some computers troubles limited how much anime I watched and not having time to start up again after fixing those troubles I regret finishing the series. Episodes 1-22 are enjoyable even though they're clearly targeted at children (minus some gawking at a girl's chest done semi-regularly by the main character Jean) which does hurt some of the stories quality. Episode 22 is also where I stopped when my computer went screwy. Episodes 23-34 are highly unlikeable with characters going through forced development in one episode only to rubber band back into a flanderized version of their old self. The titular Nadia was by far the worst about this, completely changing personality every couple of episodes only to go back to tormenting Jean who at this point in the series has spent over a year trying to make her happy... and staring at her chest whenever he gets the chance. Episodes 35-39 are intolerably bad. The main villain goes from cartoonishly evil to self-contradicting lunatic. And big twist, despite his efforts to bring back the Atlantean empire he himself is not Atlantean but somehow didn't know this. I nearly cracked open my own skull in rage at the stupidity of that twist. I think I'll try Btoom next, then move on to some others recommended in this thread.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

After probably a week, despite the show being 12 episodes, I have finally finished Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. I will say that Magica is somewhat of a masterpiece. It does it's job very well in making everything seem dark and twisted.

Let's start with the story. Madoka, a regular middle school girl who has friends, and normal emotional feelings. One day a new girl comes to school and her whole life changes. She finds out about the existence of magical girls that fight creatures called witches and is then asked by a weird cat/ferret/demon creature if she'd like to make a wish and in exchange become a magical girl.

I found the story very interesting. You see how dark the show becomes from episode 1 to the very final episode. However, it doesn't get good until the end of episode 3. The beginning episodes kind of felt a bit rushed.

Characters... to be honest I felt no emotional attachment to any of the characters. Even when some of them died, oh uh spoilers. However, the characters' backgrounds and what they used their wish for I felt were very interesting.

Art and animation. Is very unique and I love the witch mazes that the characters fight in, even though sometimes it makes me feel like I'm on acid or something.

Music is very good. The openings and closings are great and I feel the music brings more intensity to the show.

I really do recommend Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica to really anybody. It's really well done. There's also three movies but I haven't seen them so I can't say if they're any good.

Also the top 4 ratings on MyAnimelist all have 10s. So that might bring more appeal to those on the fence.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

So about a month ago I asked @StormWalker if the anime Tokyo Ghoul was worth watching. She said no. I decided to watch it anyway, along with it's second season, Tokyo Ghoul √A.

I'm just going to throw out my complaints already. Tokyo Ghoul should not be 12 episodes. It should definitely have twice that amount because everything felt rushed. If you thought SAO was rushed, Tokyo Ghoul is twice that speed and that's not good considering, again, it's only 12 episodes. From what I've seen, it's even worse for the people who've read the manga because apparently they've either missed or rushed things that were supposed to be important to the story. However, I have not read the manga.

So here's the story of season 1. A guy named Kaneki goes out with a girl because he noticed that she read the same kind of books as him. Turns out this girl was a ghoul, a human looking creature who eats humans. After almost killimg Kaneki, the ghoul chick dies, and Kaneki is laying on the ground, extremely injured. He is then taken to the hospital and requires an organ transplant. The doctors of course, transplant the ghoul girl's organs into Kaneki. After some time, Kaneki finds out he's now a ghoul. Kaneki must now survive against Doves, a police organization that kills ghouls, and other ghouls.

Season 2 is just about Kaneki and how he now understands his ghoul powers.

Since I've already complained about how the story is as fast as Sonic, I'm going to start complaining about how season 1's ending sucked. Season 1 ends abruptly at a battle between the doves, enemy ghouls, and Kaneki's other ghoul friends. However, the season ends abruptly before you see the result of the majority of the battles. The only one you see finish is Kaneki vs a major enemy ghoul. You don't see the battle results until episode 1 of season 2. If they made an episode 13 out of episode 1, that would have been a much better ending to the first season.

So the characters, this is mostly going to be another complaint. You see Kaneki's character development and it's pretty good. However, the show constantly throws in characters throughout the season. For example, around the end of season 1 they randomly throw in this crazily insane kid. While he was awesome because of his insanity, they threw him in without any warning.

Another example is in season 2 there were twins who looked as if they were going to be extremely important to the story. However, by their second appearance(and they didn't die) they just suddenly disappeared. That bothered me so much.

Art/animation the art and animation are pretty good. There are times when it looks like the characters are a bit fuzzy looking but it's fine. The action scenes are also done beautifully

Except for one thing, censoring. Now I'm not talking about the censorship of nudes, I'm talking about the censorship of gore. For example some lady gets stabbed in the chest with multiple knives and they blurred out her whole chest. What's the point of that? This is a show where you see people get stabbed right through the chest with somebody's hand and yet we can't see a chest full of knives? I don't see the problem but that might be because I'm mentally insane.

So the music, the first season's opening was fantastic and both end songs were also quite good. Background music would also fit whatever would be going on wether it's a fighting scene or happy scene. Character voices were also fantastic. The only problem I have is that the second season's opening kind of sucks.

I'd recommend this to anybody who likes action, blood, and vampire-like creatures(c'mon don't tell me they're not like vampires) but I don't recommend this to anyone who hates when anime is rushed, random characters, censorship, and anyone who has read the manga.

---------

This isn't related to Tokyo Ghoul but rather Full Metal Alchemist. Yeah I tried watching it and immediately dropped it during half of the first episode. Can someone tell me when it gets good.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Except for one thing, censoring. Now I'm not talking about the censorship of nudes, I'm talking about the censorship of gore. For example some lady gets stabbed in the chest with multiple knives and they blurred out her whole chest. What's the point of that?

You think that's bad? You should try watching Terraformars, the censored version. Now THAT was bad censorship. I haven't even tried watching the uncensored version yet because the first three episodes were so unwatchable with the black bars constantly covering the screen that it ruined the show for me.

Yeah I tried watching it and immediately dropped it during half of the first episode. Can someone tell me when it gets good.

If you're really daring you can skip to episode 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvObIj7MKXY

Episode 3 is about where the backstory starts, but Rose does become an important character later in the series and I recommend you finish episode 1 and watch episode 2 just so that her character development makes sense.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I watched a video comparing the censored version and the uncensored version of Tokyo Ghoul. It was worse than I thought. Apparently most of the censors they used were black shadows and most of the censors made no sense. Tokyo Ghoul is a show with lots of blood, and yet they 'shadow out' a plate with some blood on it. Really?

Also another question, is Elfin Lied any good? I've seen some people say it's the best thing they've seen and others saying it's complete trash.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Also another question, is Elfin Lied any good? I've seen some people say it's the best thing they've seen and others saying it's complete trash.

It's up there on my list of shows I recommend back on page 1. It does require some decent suspension of disbelief (the show centers around mutant girls with horns and invisible hands) but has a pretty good story. It's also very gory and has a lot more nudity than most shows.

Also, since I brought it up, here's the average scene from the censored version of Terraformars.
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/ikcfg8jbrkwhededmrhp.jpg

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Lol wow. What were they even trying to censor there?

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

The creature (that big brown thing in the middle) just beheaded the person to the left. Or maybe that person's head was being crushed. My memory from the manga is kinda rusty. Either way, that person suffered a very violent death.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

I'm going to guess the head got crushed, usually with beheadings they'd just cover the head and the head area of the body with black circles.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

@pangtongshu

Youtube doesn't link on the AG forums, you'll have to just post the video's url and it will automatically embed.

Showing 211-225 of 333