ForumsPopular MediaAny anime fans around here? XD

333 121276
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Hey you! *offers two cookies, a cup of weird looking orange tea and some loliness ^____^*

Okay so I was just wondering, how much of an anime fan are you? Feel free to talk about anything anime related in this topic!

• 333 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

What the hell when did that happen
https://youtu.be/iqzt3T4R38c

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Urk. I haven't watched an episode of FMA or Cowboy Bebop for quite a while. I should get back to that. I also have Whisper of the Heart set to be recorded tonight, which is something else I won't get round to watching. I don't know why, but virtually all films I ever want to watch on TV are shown late at night on Film4.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

What the hell when did that happen

I started having issues linking to YouTube around May. Then I saw a random thread about BBCode changing to automatically embed YouTube videos.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

So I understand that Episode 7 for FMA is supposed to be sad, but does it make me a terrible person if I said that I smiled through everything?

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

So I understand that Episode 7 for FMA is supposed to be sad, but does it make me a terrible person if I said that I smiled through everything?

It's a fantastic episode, there's no problem if you enjoyed it. Terrible is also a relative matter. I've never not laughed at the ending of The Mist so I'm certainly not going to call you names just for smiling while watching episode 7 of FMA.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

http://m.memegen.com/no5zh8.jpg
It didn't really upset me, but it disturbed me. A lot.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

So after days I finally finished Fullmetal Alchemist and the movie Fullmetal Alchemist Conquer of Shamballa and I'll admit, perhaps I wrongly judged the show on the first episode. It was actually pretty good.

So this is the story of two brothers, Edward and Alphonse Elric. They grew up in a small grassy plain village with no father, only their mother. One day their mother died(this is not really a spoiler, it's literally the first minute of the show) and the brothers, namely Ed, couldn't handle her dying. So they try using Alchemy and they try to make her come back to life. However, whenever Alchemy is used, something of equal value is given up in return. That equal value was Al's body and Ed's leg. But at the last minute before Al was completely taken away, Ed gave up his arm in order to transfer Al's soul into a suit of armor. However, despite all their efforts, their mother was not human and I think Ed killed her? I'm not too sure about that.

The brothers must now travel around the land of Amestris to find a Philosopher's Stone in order to get Al's body and Ed's limbs back again.

The movie is basically the continued end of Fullmetal Alchemist, so I wouldn't recommend watching the movie unless you've seen the show. But the movie was pretty good.

Characters, ok. To me whenever a certain character died, I never really felt sad about said character. Besides that though, the characters were great. My favorite would have to be Hughes. Too bad for Hughes though...

Art and animation. Art is pretty good for being on a show made in 2004. No problems with animation. The only problem I do have though, and this may not be the show's fault. But I was watching it subbed and some of the subtitles showed up late for a brief second before changing or just never showed at all. It was really annoying.

Music and sound. No problems here. Some of the Openings and Ending songs were really well done.

So all-in all, this show was pretty great. I certainly recommend this to anyone who watches anime. However not to those who despise old anime. Now all I need is a fight between Mustang and Stiyl. Now that would be a great fight.

So is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood worth watching? I hear it's basically the same story as FMA so is it worth watching the 60+ episodes again?

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

So is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood worth watching? I hear it's basically the same story as FMA so is it worth watching the 60+ episodes again?

Brotherhood follows the manga more closely. Where FMA focused on Scar and invented Dante to be the main antagonist, Brotherhood spends a lot more time on the Homunculi and their true creator (revealing who that is would be a major spoiler) as the antagonists. The big parts are still there; Scar still loses his homeland to an unnecessary war provoked by evil working behind the scenes, the Fuhrer is still a homunculus, episode 7 still exists, Hughes still dies, and the villain is still looking to create a giant philosopher's stone in order to gain godlike power. But there's some pretty big differences in the actual events of the series as well as several characters that weren't in the 2003 version like Olivier Mira Armstrong.

SPOILER

My favorite would have to be Hughes. Too bad for Hughes though...

http://41.media.tumblr.com/befeaaef4138f48c2f59ce6a5990da26/tumblr_mhkm834IlB1qiv5tpo3_500.jpg

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I just watched Whisper of the Heart. I really enjoyed it. It doesn't have much of a plot, but makes full use of the time the lack of action frees up to think about love and what it is to be a creator, as well as to allow the camera to linger on things more than would be allowed otherwise.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Watched Modacka Magica or whatever it is recently. It started out REALLY rocky, and I had half a mind to stop watching it becasue the characters were painful to get along with and the plot was just a bunch of middle school girl scribblings it felt. It really turned around the latter half of the series, though, but it didn't get very exceptional.
Of course, the hype may have just ruined it. I constantly saw Memes with like "It's a happy placr- NOO!!!!" Like some bad **** happens, yet nothing really jumped out. Oh no, your friend died after she warned you countless times the job is dangerous. Oops.

The plot started to take a sloppy mess, but luckily the creators actually had a decent plan in mind so it didn't end too badly. It was nice, but not really great. A 6.5/10 imo.

-----

Halfway through Elfen Lied right now, and it's shaping up really well. Just need to plot to start explaining itself >.<

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

It took way longer than it should have, but I finally finished both seasons of Psycho-Pass...and it was completely fantastic in every single way. I will say next to nothing about this show, it's something you should go into knowing little, if anything, about. Seeing as the show takes place in Japan, with Japanese characters, I opted for subbed this time, I'll probably end up rewatching it in dub sometime, because it was that good. Just watch it, watch both seasons of it. Season 2 was unquestionably *to me* inferior to season 1, but it was still amazing and worth watching.

I should warn you though. There is a bit of sexual content/brief nudity *mostly in the first episode and the 2nd arc*, but it wasn't exactly fanservice, to say the least. I actually watched the first episode months ago but stopped after that because of it, and only started watching it again because a friend mentioned that that was basically all of it.

Oh, and if you're not into shows being dark, then avoid Psycho-Pass at all costs. Psycho-Pass is by far the darkest show I've ever seen, from start to finish.

Now I'm going to finally get around to finishing Hetalia, which will be *roughly because of things* my 20th anime to watch. And I have about a month to finish it and still be able to say that I watched 20 anime in a year. Then I'm going to watch Laputa and then most likely rewatch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Watched Soul Eater and wow I don't think I've had that much fun with an anime in a long time. Word of advice, don't hold off on this show for as long as I did.

Here's the story thing, the show is about 3 meisters and their human weapons at a Shinigami technical school that teaches the meisters and weapons how to fight witches, how to let their souls and weapons grow stronger, and other school-like things. There's the meister Maka, the girl who wants to grow up to be as strong and successful as her own mother, and her weapon Soul, the cool kid. There's Black Star, the muscle headed kid who wants to be the strongest being ever, and his weapon Tsubaki, the nice ninja girl. And there's Death the Kid, the son of Lord Death who's a cool-headed kid until it comes to his OCD, and his two weapons Liz and Patty, two sisters who used to rule a town before they met Kid.

There is a lot more to the story but I'll let you all watch the show for more.

The characters were all pretty great except for Black Star, although even I will admit that he was pretty cool the last couple of episodes. People complained about Maka but I didn't see a problem with her except for that episode where Black Star ticked her off. There's also Escaliber... so obnoxious.

The art was pretty well done, although looking at the noses of the characters made me feel weird. It was really weird.

The music was pretty good, although there isn't much that's memorable. I've also thought that Maka's voice was a bit scratchy the first time I heard it.

Soul Eater is a really great show as it doesn't take itself too seriously. I'd recommend this to anyone who loves action mixed with comedy. Really great show.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

@TheMostManlyMan

So the second season holds up to the first? I watched the first before there was a second season then missed the second season when it was new. Haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but that's good to know.

There's also Escaliber... so obnoxious.

FOOL! There is no other word required when talking about Excalibur.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

@Ishtaron What I mean is that season 2 was definitely not as good as the first one, but it was still excellent and worth watching.

@R2D21999 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uzpJcwdU78

XanderLOINS
XanderLOINS
7 posts
Shepherd

Kuruko's Basketball, Fate/Stay Night, and I just watched FMAB for the first time. All great animes. Would recommend

Showing 226-240 of 333