ForumsSupport Forum[Answered] Disqus comment notifications not working for months

8 3988
Erile
Erile
488 posts
Chancellor

Hi there,

For the last couple months or more, the notifications on the site have continually not worked (there hasn't been a single day they have worked). The little red bubble tells you there are notifications, but highlighting it does nothing, and clicking on it kicks you out of armorgames and sends you over to disqus.com.

I posted in the previous thread about this, but was told to make a new post instead. The problem hasn't gone away or been resolved since that thread was started a couple of months ago, and people have been continually posting that it hasn't gone away.

I do want to apologize that there was a little angry emoticon in the last post I made. I honestly didn't put it there and am very confused how it got added there since I never use emoticons...

• 8 Replies
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@Erile Unfortunately, we can't help past what we have. It works on all my test machines, and for the vast majority of our users. This means it's an issue between your computer and Disqus.

Further, I've tested your account specifically. I am able to see your notifications through several test machines. Again leading me to believe this is a browser, add-on, privacy software, firewall or parental software restriction issue.

Erile
Erile
488 posts
Chancellor

That doesn't sound right...

First, I literally counted over 60 people complaining about this in the past month, and that wasn't by any means exclusive as I monitor very few forums/comments sections. Proportionally, this would indicate that tens of thousands of users at a minimum are having the same problem. I understand that tens of thousands is small compared to millions, but it is still a huge amount of people.

I'm also confused as to why you are still suggesting those various types of software as a problem. I already told you that I literally wiped a computer completely clean and installed only a browser on it to test this problem and others with the site and it made no difference. A computer with only Windows and a browser, on a completely unsecured network, with only a physical router as the sole source of protection, had this problem.

Additionally, I have also tested this now on about 40 different machines, across Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8, using all 3 browsers. Every machine had a different configuration and different software, and they were on at least 10 different independent networks. The problems were always the same.

So, since I have now proven beyond any doubt that it cannot be anything related to my computers or networks, then it must be something else. Is it possible that it is location-based? I remember problems like that occurring when I was spending a lot of time working with KingsIsle - specific regions were not getting proper access.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@Erile As I said, I've tested on multiple machines.

Your profile...

http://i.imgur.com/Z14MbnO.png

Clicking on the notification button...

http://i.imgur.com/lJYHWSr.png

You can get further help on Disqus here.

https://help.disqus.com/

I'm confident that this is not related to our systems here, and is related to the machine(s) you are accessing from. 60 people is a bit of an exaggeration, but there has been some that have had issues and I feel the same about them. Disqus has a "Pop-up" mechanic when you click the notification window, and often privacy or add-on software prevents that from happening.

Location is an interesting theory, but I do feel it's also unlikely. That however, doesn't mean impossible. You said you've tested on independent networks, how about networks outside your area?

If you're still frustrated and wish to pursue this further, feel free to setup a virtual machine so I can access your computer and I will take a look. You can reach me with the information at Ferret@ArmorGames.com.

Erile
Erile
488 posts
Chancellor

I do get the pop-up, but it subsequently redirects the entire page to disqus.com where it asks me to log in. This redirect kicks you out of armorgames completely, which is awful if you were playing a game and attempting to read comments at the same time. I think the redirect alone is a huge problem, as one misclick on the comment bubble makes you lose all game progress.

And I can still confirm that I have zero privacy, ad-block, parent-block, whatever software. I have full control over my machine software and as a rule I don't put extra garbage on my machines.

I haven't managed to find any assistance on the disqus site yet.

I have not tested outside my area. That would require a day trip just for that, as our "area" as it would pertain to things like that would be somewhat large.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@Erile I want to help, but at this point I have no idea how to. If you have ideas, I'd be open to them. As you can see though, it's just us two talking about it in this thread - so it's specific to your computer(s).

Erile
Erile
488 posts
Chancellor

Well, its not my computer. Its every computer in the city that I can access that has the same problem...

Oszouom
Oszouom
4 posts
Scribe

Started to experience this some time ago. In my case, it was caused by blocking 3rd party cookies. (It's probably unnecessary to stop blocking them completely, it should be enough to unblock them just for a single reload, so that Disqus can bake its batch into the browser).
It's funny how many things (sometimes even stuff resistant to adblockers) fail because of 3rd party cookies. Blocking them has been part of standard security advice for so long...

Eltrio
Eltrio
4 posts
Peasant

I'm experiencing the same thing. Just happened a few days ago. When I tried to login through disqus to see my notifications, I can't because I didn't make my account through them, and thus I can't login. The best I was able to do was make an entirely new account, which I did not want to do in the first place. Can't really blame the computers on this one. The problem is likely on disqus's end due to them making some sort of change that ArmorGames can't correct on their end.
Edit: Okay, so the problem happened while I was using FireFox, but isn't coming up while using Chrome. This is weird and slightly frustrating, but it is what it is.

Showing 1-8 of 8