ForumsGamesGC:CG Idea for upgrading

7 1677
xroads42
xroads42
87 posts
Farmer

Hi,

most of the hardcore-players use recipies for upgrading their gems. either by hand or using scripts. this is quite time consuming. and if an error happend during upgrading the resulting gem is not as good.. Also it is not fair for the casual-gamers..

So here is an idea: when upgrading you can add/use shadowcores to you gem to improve the stats. e.g. 5 SC for a 16-recipie-like result, 10 SC for a 32, 25 for a 64... ect.
@gameinabottle

• 7 Replies
xroads42
xroads42
87 posts
Farmer

better idea: when adding SCs on creation the upgrade process is improved.

so we have a xxx-bombing like number display on the gem-creation icons.

we also would need text where we can see how much SCs we have on the hand..

this method needs to be more expensive. like 1 SC adds +0,01% for future upgrades

bilboCGL
bilboCGL
323 posts
Peasant

Disagree - That will end up in a pay-to-win game!

xroads42
xroads42
87 posts
Farmer

would it? i have +10k SCs. and i get about 2k per endurance game. if i would need to spend 5k-10k SCs to beat endurance that would be ok.
but it still needs to be a challenge...

the second idea would still allow recepies for improvement.. so maybe not so good..

bilboCGL
bilboCGL
323 posts
Peasant

First of all, you won't solve the problem: When you give a paid, better gem to us, what would we do with this gem? Just using 'u'? Never! The more you pay for a gem, the more you care for upgrading it the best way (okay, only borthel would use a 65536c on it, I'd stop myself at 1024c...).
So you want power for sc... That would be just the same like "resonance" or "true color". But paying more sc for every run than we do now (remember - every max.traits run costs 756SC atm) would empty the SC fast...
I will not moan: I know very good how to farm SC, I have 100k+ atm and my fully set of upgraded r100 frags was quite expensive...
But if you could start the game just with "I buy a bunch of SC and get a lot more power" - That is IMHO pay to win.

xroads42
xroads42
87 posts
Farmer

we could limit the use of SCs during upgrade by wizzard lvl. so in the start you can not spend to many.

my first idea with the SC per upgrade would be need to better or equal to recipes...

UgAhgItHurts
UgAhgItHurts
259 posts
Peasant

Would be better to approach from the side of what's wrong with the game.

In this case, you can have 1000 in each skill and a trillion starting mana and you still won't get much further on endurance than we do now. While it may be a design goal that endurance can't be completed, the reasons it can't be seem like poor design or attempting to solve the wrong problem.

For example,
- slow was useful as a slow gem lower level, now it's not due to changes this update, it's just a good damage base for combo gems. As for how it combines with white or black, that's just silly (a g10 does what a g40 does without, sometimes better.) That needs rethinking.
- perhaps removing perma-freeze makes it less bad that pressing u is sooo much worse than what you can do with an 8, 13 or 16 combine upgrade, but the fact that it does just adds tedium. Sure it was discoverable, but needed digging into the game code to figure how it worked too.
- the all important freeze...I didn't use that much on my finish at lowest level game, but there's probably a few times that I needed it and wouldn't have it now. No interested enough yet to see how bad just starting the game is now (granted with level caps removed(?) and faster leveling it might come out in the wash).

psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

Supergemming technique is as old as first GC games. It was just a matter of time when somebody worked out combining mechanics (it could be done w/o decompiling too) and then Daniil just asked right question in the right moment and that pushed me to developing combine upgrades. We cannot undo that, it's part of story behind the game now

Showing 1-7 of 7