ForumsGamesUseless Things in Video Games

10 3299
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Useless things are just about everywhere in video games. What are some you can remember?

So I played Pokémon Pearl recently and discovered probably two of the most useless moves that certain Pokémon learn. Water Sport and Mud Sport. Water Sport weakens fire type moves, and Mud Sport weakens Electric type attacks. Usually moves like that would be fine, but I've seen more water type pokemon with Water Sport and Rock type pokemon with Mud Sport than I have any other type. Seriously, why make them learn those moves if their type already makes fire or electricity weak on them?

• 10 Replies
Crickster
Crickster
1,795 posts
Blacksmith

That's why i avoided a few pokemon when i played pearl when i got a DSlite (back in '07-'09 i think)

A useless thing has to be really high boss HP cause all it means is you take forever to kill the boss because they don't die, add insta-kill move to the boss and than you have me leaving the game for good.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Since we are talking about Pokemon...

I hated when I got some of the elite four's pokemon down to almost zero and they used a hyper potion, and I had to repeat the long cycle over again, just making an already long battle take even longer. Also, in the newer games some of the cutscenes are unnecessarily long.

And for all games the most useless thing are the credits that you have to sit through after you finish the game. Most of them don't let you skip, and if you try to manually skip them your progress doesn't get saved :/

stealth_ninja05
stealth_ninja05
1,078 posts
Peasant

Long unskippable cutscenes (especially when replaying a game).

alyssa1
alyssa1
50 posts
Peasant

Agree with @stealth_ninja05 completely, long cutscenes that have no meaning to the game are annoying af!

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

So I played Pokémon Pearl recently and discovered probably two of the most useless moves that certain Pokémon learn. Water Sport and Mud Sport. Water Sport weakens fire type moves, and Mud Sport weakens Electric type attacks. Usually moves like that would be fine, but I've seen more water type pokemon with Water Sport and Rock type pokemon with Mud Sport than I have any other type. Seriously, why make them learn those moves if their type already makes fire or electricity weak on them?

Actually, these moves were useful against certain gym leaders.

Though the most useless thing I've found in Call of Duty was the smoke bombs. They literally don't do much. Using flash bombs were found to be more useful to me. The smoke bomb would just make the player see just as much as the enemy would see.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith
COIN RESULTS
Long unskippable cutscen
Heads
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

sorry that was just a test ^ anyways i agree with the other guy "Long unskippable cutscenes (especially when replaying a game)."

but other than that, probably stuff like coins like in mario and other games, yeah 100 = 1 up but 1 ups from those are pointless

Koshionos
Koshionos
884 posts
Jester

Barrels that neither explode, nor contain loot, I mean who has been so obsess- hey who are you?!

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081030124554/starocean/images/e/e5/SE_Ashton_Anchors.png
Did someone say barrels?

twillight2
twillight2
413 posts
Chancellor

- long unskippable movies (at least allow the skip at replays!)
- entirely useless skilltrees (yes, not just turned-out-bad single skills, but entire skilltrees. Just think upon Diable-series as an example)
- absolutely worthless items which you can't distinguish from useful items, especially when at every pixel there is a new item you can pick up. I just hate those games (like the Ultima series)
- useless but promoted aquireables (wether items or skills or whatever). When a badge-item is presented as an über-item when it is not, that is just bad.
- items with 0.0001% dropchance. These are just call to cheat, and are mostly skipped / substituted with other stuff. Extra uselessness-factor comes when you must aquire the item to be able to progress.

Guest_Pegasus1234
Guest_Pegasus1234
1,276 posts
Farmer

Paper in Super Smash Bros, but I was obsessed with collecting it ^^

When I played the game I stood on the side, not doing everything (because I'm a pacifist) and I collected Paper ^^

Showing 1-10 of 10