ForumsArt, Music, and WritingThe Public Freestyle Improv Hub Thread

3 4789
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello everyone from this mighty website! It's been a while since I last posted around these forums - or even frequented this site at all - but I thought I'd make a comeback and give life to an idea I just happened to have. This thread is hereby being created to serve as a hub for freestyle and improv art! I bet the creative minds of yours have some random inspiration moments and, therefore, some awesome improv art, so I'd like to make this thread a wall for general appreciation!

Guidelines for posting on this thread:
-> All the posts here should follow the Rules and Guidelines for AMW posting.
-> You may post any kind of art you or your friends have made - writings, drawings, photography, movies, music, handcrafted items, woodwork, metalwork, interesting food, collages etc. It surely doesn't have to be professional level. In case you're posting things other than text, remember to host it to another site and link them here (use imgur, Photobucket or the like for images, Youtube for vids, Soundcloud for the songs, y'know the drill).
-> Remember to credit friends or other authors involved in creating the work to avoid plagiarism.
-> Try to always post original work - as in not something made by a mainstream artist or so. We'd like to see your creative flows - not the ones from an already known artist.
-> Feel free to post feedback to people! Be gentle, rational and cordial when doing so, however. (I think they call it constructive criticism).
-> Remember to always tag your posts. Not sure if it'll be of much use for the real stuff, but I'd like to ask you to give a #tag to your posts. Position it on the last line of the post, so a person looking for sci-fi poetry, for instance, can find it through Ctrl+F.

I think that's it for starting info. I'd like to declare this thread officially open! I'll be posting a head's up in a couple of minutes - in a different post due to size constraints.

- Ed

#Begin!

• 3 Replies
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Okay, so first off I'd like to share with you guys an improv dialogue I've written with a couple of friends. It started out as a Skype text conversation and evolved to a sci-fi, conspiracy theory-like tale. While it doesn't seem to explain much, it surely could evolve into a more complex story. The settings were given as the typing progressed. Forgive the long aspect of it, but the fact it is a dialogue pushed things far.

Credits:
Excitement1000 as "Cody".
Roger721 as "Doc".
Marcela (not sure how's her AG name) as "Voice", "Balance Keeper" and the ethereal characters at the end.

"BALANCE - A REVELATION WITHIN THE NUMBERS"

Doc: Yeah, I'll ask you to pick more numbers tomorrow, Cody.

Cody: Alright...

Doc:*mumbles to self* How would I brainwash you without the numbers…?

Cody: The numbers! 7... 41... 18... 21... Why can't I remember all of the numbers...

Doc: Don't force your brain just now... you still have many sessions to do… *scribbles on noteblock*

Cody: There's... There's... 28... I think... *mumbles to himself* GAH... THESE NUMBERS...

Doc: Easy... here, take these pills. *hands small plastic cup; a blue-red capsule and a small white pill are inside*

Cody: What're they for? WHAT ARE THEY FOR?! *smacks the cup away* I DON'T WANT ANY OF YOUR DRUGS! I WANT… I... I WANT… THE NUMBERS! ALL OF THEM!

Doc: *two steps back* Easy! They'll help you get in contact with them. *picks up pills from the ground* Trust me, I'm your doctor.

Cody: I don't trust you! You're not my doctor! I was brought here! By... Little green men... In rubber suits... They're testing on my... My... My brain... I can feel them...

Doc: *wary eyes; scribbles more on the notebook* They'll all go away once you get to the numbers...

Cody: Then give me the numbers! I can't take it anymore!

Doc: We can try a... different approach, if you'd like. The numbers may come faster to you, but... there will be a price.

Cody: Do it! Anything! I don't care what it costs! I need... The numbers...

Doc: As you wish. *puts noteblock on labcoat's pocket; approaches interphone system* Bring ESMa (ElectroShockMachine) down here, asap.

Cody: *sees Doc talking into the intercom; shouts* THE GREEN MEN! THEY'RE HERE! THEY'RE COMING AFTER ALL OF US! NO ONE IS SAFE!

Doc: Calm down, buddy! They're not the enemy. They're on our side! They're coming here just for the sake of the numbers. Just for you! Aren't you proud of receiving such attention?

Cody: No! I want you to leave me alone! Leave me with the numbers!

Doc: You're still too weak to reach them by yourself... I'm trying to make it all easier for you.

Cody: No... I can get them... *recites the ones previously mentioned* There's... 7... 18... 41... 21... And... 39... 77... The-... There's... *grabs own hair and yanks on it* GAHHHH! I KNOW THERE ARE MORE...

Doc: Yes! You don't realize how weak you are! *speaks to intercom* Hold.
- Look... the rabbit hole goes deeper than you think!

*the wall presents a huge painting, with the picture of a lake on it; approaching it, the Doc lets it fall to the ground, shaking the dust that has been gathered on it; a thick window appears, with a huge black screen with blue random numbers being now in clear view*

Look here. Those are the numbers you're looking for. They are the answer to all of your problems. Why don't you let me help you?

Cody: You... You know about the numbers? How do you know about the numbers?

Doc: I told you: I'm your doctor! These numbers suffice all of your needs... I'm just the one they put in charge of introducing the numbers to you.

Cody: Then... You're not a doctor... You're like a... Psychiatrist...

Doc: Think of me as a friend... Those dudes outside rarely see you in person. They still don't understand your love for the numbers... Me? I can feel it. I can see your struggles and I really want to help.

Cody: You're not my friend... I have no friends... Everyone's the enemy... Everyone's out to get me...

Doc: And the numbers...? Are the numbers your enemy? Are your beloved numbers... cheating on you? They're the truth and the math, they wouldn't do harm.

Voice: Love is to destroy, and to be loved is to be destroyed… Or something along those lines…

Cody: Who... WHO IS THERE?! ARE YOU WITH THE GREEN PEOPLE?!

Voice: Aye, I am. We come in peace, however, young man… We bear no ill wish towards you…

Cody: No... No... NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! TOO MANY VOICES! AAAAGHHHH!

Voice: Shhhhh... Shhhh... Calm down, young man. The voices will soon cease to be. Just remain still.

Cody: I don't want you here... I don't want him here... I want me and my numbers...

Voice: He can leave, however I must remain. I am a keeper. I maintain the balance.

Cody: He can stay...

Balance Keeper: I stop things when they get too crazy…

Cody: You need to leave...

Balance Keeper: Or when they get too sane…

Cody: He knows of the numbers... What do you know?

Balance Keeper: I know that the numbers and their strength are waning. As such I must endeavor to swell their numbers and strength alike. Balance… Perfect balance. It must always be maintained.

Cody: The numbers are balance... The numbers are everything... They are good… They are evil… They are all. And they're mine...

Balance Keeper: They're not yours, unfortunately enough. Ishtar has not yet passed to the Void. And the numbers remain under her control.

Doc: *meanwhile*

He's having a seizure! Crash cart, now!

Nurse: We're losing him, we're losing him. GOD, **** IT! HE'S FLATLINING!

Doc: Clonazepam, IV, 10cc. *inject*

Balance Keeper: Now young man, I'm afraid our time is coming to an end...

Cody: *jerks wildly and foams at the mouth*

Balance Keeper: Your world, your mortal plan is beckoning you to come back…

Cody: *spits out random phrases* Numbers... Mine...

Balance Keeper: I'm afraid that you can't remain here for long

Cody: Void...

Doc: A cardiac arrest?! Was the intake too much? Get the defibrillator!

Balance Keeper: *puts on hat* Now then, off you go young chap.

Cody: Numbers...

Doc: Charging... CLEAR!

Cody: *shouts* MINE!

Balance Keeper: *snaps her fingers, a white flash of light bursts forth*

Doc: *shocks once*

Cody: *sits straight up in the stretcher; breathes heavily*

Balance Keeper: *in a whisper* We shall meet again…

Cody: Where... Where did she go?

Doc: Who?

Cody: *looks around* The girl... She was just here...

Doc: You were hallucinating...

Cody: No, it was too real! She's real You have to have... Wait... There are more numbers...

Balance Keeper: *whispers* There are always more…

Cody: 11... 94... 57... Where did I get these from? Who gave them to me?

Doc: Even though you want the numbers badly, I think you must get some rest now... You'll get to know the truth when all the numbers come...

Cody: She said... Something of... Ishtar... The Void... *speech slurs as the Doc injects Cody with fluids*

Cody: Where... She... *falls backwards, passed out*

Balance Keeper: *Meanwhile, within R'haegar*

Funny little thing aren't they? Mortals that is, always searching for us and never finding us... That kid though, he's come close, don't you think?

*An image of Cody on the stretcher is shown through a portal*

Maybe we could help him, you know, before Lethize is aware of the new Champion?

*The image becomes muddled, flashing in a different myriad of colors as it dissolves.*

Oh deary, maybe it's a bit too late. Speak of the devil...

*The portal explodes, flames of different colors covering the room. A sinister laughter is heard coming from the now unstable portal between planes. A dark, venomous could of gas starts pouring out of it instantly spreading rot and decay to everything it comes in contact with*

-End of Chapter One-

#writing #dialogue #sci-fi #numbers

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

To start off adding variety to the thread, I'd like to share with you a short film some schoolmates of mine created for an English class. The idea of it was to create a short (max. 15min) movie with free choice of script and free execution. These friends of mine came up with this nice idea. I hope you can understand the movie through audio - the subtitles are in portuguese. I did a small part as a walk-on at some point.

All credits go to my Sics Socs friends.

ZOEY

#movie #fiction #zoey

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Lastly for today, some crafting me and my friends made. When History-based school games came around, our class needed some prop weapons to make a smashing entrance. There were also some school projects related to short film-making. The guns would be created with the resources we had at hand, so we got to work with plywood, conduits, braces and a lot of adhesive tape. Here's the result.

http://i.imgur.com/0yfaRfo.jpg

This gun is the one I actually wound up taking home. A friend and I cut the metal conduit (which wasn't standard to all models - some were made with PVC pipes), another friend (with the help of a professor) cut the plywood to shape, we bought and installed the braces, found some aluminum scraps to use as impact dampener and finished it with tape. The green ink was added by the filming crew of another class, who used it in a short movie of their own. See a close-up below:

http://i.imgur.com/0QyXnrE.png

The ones with the PVC pipes as barrels were unable to "shoot", but the ones with the metal conduits could actually pretend to do it! The design was made to work with firecrackers, which would be reloaded like a musket. There were no actual bullets, but it could be used as props for the short movies. The sounds and flash would provide enough special effects. The barrel was closed with the aluminum plug on one side and filled with a few handfuls of dirt to minimize the impact - as the plywood could crack to the blast of the firecracker. We also had other projects to improve reloading - like making a rip on the barrel, closer to the gun's butt to speed up reloading - and improve the stability of the barrel - which would be loose quite often - but given 12th grade ended and me and my friends spread, I guess it'll be canned for a while.

I hope you've enjoyed our simple gun prop project!

#crafting #props #wood #steel

Showing 1-3 of 3