ForumsWEPRDeath penalty: yes or no

96 37280
WHDH
WHDH
168 posts
Shepherd

What do you think, should there be a death penalty?

Perssonalni I am against it,because of these things:
1.Death penalty vs liftime jail (well death penalty is kind of reward in this case)
2. How are we bether then him/her? Where is ours moral?
3. We must think about moral of executor.

So what do you think?

• 96 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

i think:
1. you need a spellings checker.
2. lifetime jail is more of a punishment.
3. it shouldn't belong in the ethics of 1st world countries.
4. it's still murder... and murder can't be justified in my books. the government shouldn't have a free pass to kill people because they see it fit...

Guest_Pegasus1234
Guest_Pegasus1234
1,276 posts
Farmer

imo, the death penalty is a very hypocritical thing to do, a death is a death, and that person can learn from their mistakes, and ending their live is the wrong thing to do, plus, what if the wrong person was convicted? They would be killed, for being completely innocent. The death penalty is one of the reasons why I hate society at its current state.

I also disbelieve in a life sentence, I believe that there should be a limit, imagine spending all of your life in jail after doing you probably shouldn't have done something one day, and regretting that day for the rest of your life and never being able to forget about it, stuck in a cell. Maybe they should be monitored after being released if they believe that they are still a threat, but lifetime jail is very depressing, it is abuse, and nobody deserves that.

4. it's still murder... and murder can't be justified in my books. the government shouldn't have a free pass to kill people because they see it fit...

Agreed.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

lifetime jail is very depressing, it is abuse, and nobody deserves that.
*of course dependable per case but i'm going to generalize here anyway*
the things these people did that deserves such hard punishment. have changed peoples life's for good aswell. you wont get lifetime for a armed robbery, crippling somebody or under-aged adultery. while those things can also traumatize the victims for life and change their personality by depressions and anxiety.
to get a lifetime in jail you really have to **** up big time. (in my country there are less then 15 people in jail forever. (roughly calculating that to usa population: that would mean around 300 people) especially those that have been planning the most cruel crimes ahead are better to be locked up forever.
Guest_Pegasus1234
Guest_Pegasus1234
1,276 posts
Farmer

In the United States, 1 in every 2,000 people (about 175,000) is imprisoned for life this number is way too high and something needs to be done about it I feel so awful for those 175,000 people I know that many of them have probably done bad things in their life, but haven't we all?? Maybe not to that extent, but still, many of them learn, and it depresses me that society can't be forgiving

WHDH
WHDH
168 posts
Shepherd

many of them learn, and it depresses me that society can't be forgiving

Well theat is why there is probation.

1. you need a spellings checker.

Sorry.

Agreed. It shouldn't belong in etichs of all countries. And what books?

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

In the United States, 1 in every 2,000 people (about 175,000) is imprisoned for life

usa is a ****y place to live.. but we all already knew that.. any sensible 1st world government wouldn't act in the way usa does... thats why i'm not even sure usa is actually a 1st world country. or that it only has the 1st world money..
twillight2
twillight2
413 posts
Chancellor

Lifetime jail is just a very expensive death penalty.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Lifetime jail is just a very expensive death penalty.

A very expensive death penalty that actually costs many times less and doesn't run the risk of executing someone who may be innocent while simultaneously not sanctioning the state killing people, not stooping to a lower moral foundation, and imposing an actual punishment onto the offender by making them regret their action and pay for it in terms of their time and freedom they would have otherwise had.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Well, for me, murdurers should be put to death.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

1.Death penalty vs liftime jail (well death penalty is kind of reward in this case)

The absence of a greater cost is not a benefit. The absence of harsher punishment is not a reward.

2. How are we bether then him/her? Where is ours moral?

Provided that the person is undisputedly guilty of sufficiently serious crimes (such as high treason and genocide, as opposed to jaywalking), I don't see what the problem is. Are you suggesting that all wrongs/sins/crimes/etc. are equal?

Do you mean that death is the easier route? This is true only in some cases. Many people would opt for living above all else, even in conditions much more squalid and opressive than those of modern-day first-world prisons.

4. it's still murder...

No it isn't.

imo, the death penalty is a very hypocritical thing to do, a death is a death, and that person can learn from their mistakes, and ending their live is the wrong thing to do, [...]

There is nothing at all hypocritical in what you just described.

[...] imagine spending all of your life in jail after doing you probably shouldn't have done something one day, and regretting that day for the rest of your life and never being able to forget about it, stuck in a cell.

That's the whole and entire point.

A very expensive death penalty that actually costs many times less [...]

In what way, exactly?

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

In what way, exactly?

I was responding to twillight2, who was saying that life in prison is essentially just a very expensive death penalty.

The death penalty actually costs a lot more than life in jail when all is said and done.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

The death penalty actually costs a lot more than life in jail when all is said and done.

Technically, no. These are just the costs of overinvested legal squabbles. They are not intrinsic to or required by the death penalty.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

That's only because the appeals process is so extensive. Several people have brought up the possibility of executing an innocent person as a reason not to have the death penalty, but I doubt they realize exactly how unlikely that is. The government is just as afraid of putting to death an innocent person as the people who oppose the death penalty which is why those on death row have so many chances to appeal. That appeals process, however, ends up being far more expensive and time consuming than just letting the prisoner die in their cell because of all the extra labor involved (lawyers, judges, clerks, secretaries, paralegals, transport costs, and probably a few things I just can't think of off the top of my head right now) in actively deciding whether a person who's about to die was deprived of any legal chance to be acquitted.

Guest_Pegasus1234
Guest_Pegasus1234
1,276 posts
Farmer

I'm not sure if that's true, but regardless, it shouldn't matter about cost, people shouldn't be getting killed or a life sentence imo, people change, do you really think that after being locked up in a cell for 10-20 years that you'd be the same person and would do the same kinds of things??

twillight2
twillight2
413 posts
Chancellor

[quote]Lifetime jail is just a very expensive death penalty.

A very expensive death penalty that actually costs many times less and doesn't run the risk of executing someone who may be innocent[/quote]

To answer you:
- lifetime jail is a death penalty, thus an execution.
- the cost is evidently higher then a traditional execution. The cost comes from the price each day the prisoner must be guarded, fed, lodged, entertained. If someone is held for 10-40-60 years in prison as never-to-be-freed, that costs uncountably more than someone waiting for a couple of monthes (or at longest 1-2 years) on the traditional death row. The traditional executions don't cost much: a piece of rope, one bullet (that's ca. 50 cent), or some electricity. Even the poisons can not cost more then 20 bucks. So they are not a big additional fee.
- it is simply an excuse, hypocracy to say "the chance to execute an innocent is lower". The officials, professionals no longer investigate. The prisoner him/herself can not investigate. Anyone else is too busy living their lives, AND not skilled enough, AND the officials prevent access to the already collected evidences, so the chance someone being swapped with someone else is minimal.
- the fact, that lifetime sentence is also an execution, is just fundamentally opposing the legal system itself, because punishment should not be about revenge, but convincing. Not making someone incapable to repeat the crime, but convincing everyone committing that kind of crime does not worth it. That's why capital punishments (including lifelong sentence) is not acceptable, not because "an innocent might be sentenced".

Showing 1-15 of 96