ForumsGamesThe Last Stand series review: Part 1(TLS)- a different kind of game

4 1561
JieFengChin
JieFengChin
1 posts
Farmer

The Last Stand initially comes off as a typical zombie apocalypse survival shooter game.

Players take control of a masculine male protagonist armed with guns trying to fend off hordes of zombies at night, and scavenging for supplies and survivors in the day. There is little to be said about the world of TLS as little information is given. The protagonist(later revealed in TLS:UC as Jack) expresses little emotion and enjoys writing cliche post apocalyptic ''notes-to-self''. Notes such as 'Remember to write tomorrow's notes' and 'call mom...' make me cringe in me seat.The writing and game play was definitely nothing special .

At least, that was what I thought.

Reviewing too much AAA games (such as Dying Light, The Last Of Us, The Walking Dead, Left 4 Dead) made by big studios with much resources had conditioned me to expect nothing but the absolute best from the zombie genre. So, I decided to put my absurd expectations aside and re-look the game as it is.

The Last Stand is in fact a well polished and deeply enjoyable game.

Despite lacking pretty graphics, the art direction in the game was fantastic. The zombies were horrifying yet believable and the randomly generated zombies never once looked queer. Game play although simple was well made and is easy to pick up even for players who do not really play shooter. The weapons were powerful (even the starting handgun) and I had a blast pounding the undead without a care for ammunition.

As the game progressed, the zombies became tougher and weapons became stronger.

I could choose from a wide selection of weapons ranging from a chainsaw to a sniper to a fully automatic sniper rifle. Survivors found were extremely helpful, especially the 7th who had a sniper.The 20th night marked the end of the game and a short but pleasant experience. I was preparing a review for TLS when I discovered TLS 2, Union City and Dead Zone...

RATING FOR TLS:

8/10 - A simple web game that is worth your time if you are into the zombie genre.

I have played TLS 2 and Union City and will be reviewing them soon...

• 4 Replies
Koshionos
Koshionos
884 posts
Jester

Though this would be better suited for the Flash Game section of the website, when it comes to game reviews, I typically break it down and dissect each segment of the game:

1) Graphics: It doesn't need to look pretty, but it needs to have a consistent style that flows the feel of the story and game play.

2) Music and Sound: Music can truly set the feel for a game, from feelings of tension to a good ol' fashioned adventuring tune. The sound also needs to fit the item it is tied to.

3) Controls: Because Great graphics and sound aren't what makes a great game. What to avoid is overly complicated controls or bad layout for the key mapping.

4) Story (and spelling!): Is there a need for a story? Is there not? Was the spelling correct? Did it feel rushed? Is it too drawn out? Is it interesting?

That being said, I did enjoy your review, perhaps going in detail in the technical aspect of the game may add more polish to your review.

Good luck, and keep it up!

evilsweetblock
evilsweetblock
2,613 posts
Jester

Is this even suppose to be here..?

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Nope... it belongs in the MMO Forum! Moved...

akram66
akram66
1 posts
Nomad

4) Story (and spelling!): Is there a need for a story? Is there not? Was the spelling correct? Did it feel rushed? Is it too drawn out? Is it interesting?

malik66

Showing 1-4 of 4