ForumsGamesMMORPGs like the old RuneScape?

8 12408
Thrillology
Thrillology
78 posts
Shepherd

Ever since I left RuneScape around January 26th, 2011, I've felt nostalgic about the game, but it's turned into your typical MMORPG now (RuneScape 3). I am wondering if anyone knows any good MMORPGs that are like the old RuneScape 1 & 2, with its relatively basic combat (mouse clicks and no hotkeys). I would also prefer a game that has a persistent player-based economy, but I would also be fine without it.

Thanks in advance,
Thrillology

• 8 Replies
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Dunno about exactly like Runescape, but Albion Online is one that I've been following for a while. The economy is completely playerbased, equipment is all crafted by players, and you lose everything that you have on your person when you die. It has some hotkey skills, but only if you craft equipment that give you those skills. There aren't any levels are anything like that.

It's pay to play though, so only play if you're considering to shelling out some cash.

internetkabel
internetkabel
13 posts
Shepherd

Just as @Opaxius stated, if you are really a die-hard Runescape player, you should REALLY buy Old School Runescape. My brother was really happy about it, but he gave up because the levelling is really slow if you don't really have a goal and if you don't have a lot of time.

truewanderer
truewanderer
5 posts
Nomad

I heard Runescape from my friends and they said that it's enjoyable. However, i didn'd had any chance to try it myself due to im studying that time. Is the game still online? I'm just using my mobile.

Harmon758
Harmon758
6 posts
Bard

Both Runescape 3 and Old School Runescape are very much still alive with large loyal fanbases. Both are free to play.

GirIGamer
GirIGamer
26 posts
Nomad

Sounds good. I'm thinking of adding the game to my current games such as RBF and RO.

Jafskin
Jafskin
1 posts
Nomad

I believe the mmorpg you are looking for is called "RPG MO", its cross platform so you can play on PC, tablet, or phone (though playing on phone is quite hard because of the small screen). It has skill based progression and features mining, crafting items, fishing, cooking, and single click combat. It's a pretty great game with 100's of players online at any time, a lot of which are ex Runescape players. It features a cash shop that isn't pay to win, the great thing is if a player buy's a 2x exp potion from said cash shop and activates it the entire server gets 2x exp and not just the player who bought it. I hope this helps, my name in game is "Pixelz", look me up maybe =)

treos
treos
105 posts
Nomad

when has runescape not been free-to-play? one complaint i would have might be that while it is free-to-play, iirc there was always a limit to the amount of content you could access on a free account. heck, you wouldn't even be able to lvl up as high as a paid account. then theres all the dungeons and other stuff that you'd never have access to.

so yes, runescape is f2p but...only some of it.

Showing 1-7 of 8