ForumsThe TavernMayonnaise: It's not an instrument

11 4291
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

It's a very popular condiment, and I've met people who like it and I've met people who hate it, so I want to know what Tavern-goers think of this creamy, oil-based topping.

I was originally going to turn this into a Question of the Day, but I decided I didn't want people just answering whether or not they liked mayonnaise; I wanted a real discussion to take place about mayonnaise. You don't have to answer any of these sample questions, but I'll put them there in case you want to give a more in-depth answer but you're at a loss for words.

What do you think of mayonnaise?
How often do you eat mayonnaise?
What do you like to eat mayonnaise on?
What brand of mayonnaise do you prefer?
What kind of impact has mayonnaise had on your life?

• 11 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I really like mayonnaise. I don't eat it all the time though. I mostly use it as salad dressing. My preferred brand is Hellmann's. It's not a life changing experience though; it's just a nice sauce.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I used to hate mayonnaise, even now I'm still trying to get used to it. I don't hate it anymore but I don't eat it as much as the average person.

Maybe once or twice a month.

I eat it on a burger if it normally contains mayonnaise.

Hellmann's I guess? I don't know what most restaurants use.

Not a very big one. Although despite what the title says, I have been seen drumming on a container from time to time.

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

I love mayonnaise!

Fries? Always with mayonnaise!

How often... depends on my eating behaviour.. sometimes once in a month, sometimes four times.

I tend to made it by myself, i prefer to have some good mustard (the red Löwensenf (a hot/spicy version) to be eaxactly) in it, also similar sauces, like Aioli, are great.
Well, if i must buy it i take mostly Miracle Whip.

Gogotank
Gogotank
3,165 posts
Lord

So, I'm the only one here till now who hates mayonnaise. Great. I just don't like its flavour. I can't eat ANYTHING that has mayonnaise in it.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I like Mayo for my sandwiches. Don't really like it with pees & carrots or potato salad.

Mayo by itself.is good too

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

I prefer mustard because it has a stronger and more distinct flavor when placed next to other sandwich ingredients, but mayo is not too bad. I could eat a sandwich with it or without it and it would not really taste drastically different. I never buy it, though, so I do not have a preferred brand.

DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

Not a mayonnaise consumer, no. Too plain for my taste. I don't see why I would eat it by itself when it could be made into something much better, like tartar sauce or remoulade.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

I prefer Japanese mayonnaise. It tastes much better in my opinion. I also put it on top of everything. Ironically, I have a large distaste for regular mayonnaise.

huwbert2013
huwbert2013
239 posts
Bard

I have just had Sausage, Egg and Chips (fries) covered in mayo..............
Heaven!
Eeeh but I'm British, so forgive me. Try it, it's pretty good comfort food.
And a couple of slices of bread and butter to make "butties" too.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I liked it more when I was younger than I do now. As @DrElmer put it, it's just too plain! My taste buds have grown and my liking for blander foods has been slowly disappearing... pity I can't enjoy a baloney sandwich the way I could 15 years ago... =/

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

To reply to my own thread, I've never really cared for mayonnaise. I do love ketchup, and that mixed with mayo isn't bad because it basically becomes mild ketchup, but I've just never enjoyed mayo plain or on things such as burgers or sandwiches.

I had always wondered if there was anyone who actually loved this stuff. Apparently such people do exist.

pity I can't enjoy a baloney sandwich the way I could 15 years ago...

That sandwich sounds like it would go well with claptrap chips and balderdash soup.

Showing 1-11 of 11