ForumsGamesGames With Level Editors

40 13508
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I don't know about you, but my favorite games have always been the ones where you can create your own levels. Those are the games I think have the most replay value. Whether it be SHIFT 4, Crush the Castle 2 Players Pack, Spewer, any of the other level editor games AG has to offer, or any game at all with a level editor, I'll play, I'll build, I'll conquer.

Level editor games are the reason I became interested in flash games, and the only ones I still play. They have unfortunately declined in popularity over the past few years, and new ones rarely surface, so it's up to the small minority of people who still enjoy them to keep them alive.

Am I the only one who loves building custom levels in games? I'm pretty sure I'm not. Who else is out there?

• 40 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

So, the actual question is who pays extra work?

With AG the way it is now, quests are the best way to attract new players to your game, but once a player beats every level and earns every quest, there's no reason for him to ever play that game again. That's where the level editor comes in. With a level editor comes replay value. Every time someone goes to create a new level, or at least every day they create new levels, they will reopen the game. Every time someone who regularly plays user levels sees a level code posted by another user, they will reopen the game. People who have already earned every quest will continue to play the game because they will have an endless influx of levels, and if they do ever run out, they can always make more. Quests will bring in new players, the level editor will keep them playing and give the game more plays. Theoretically, it could pay for itself.

Anyway, next puzzle (most likely Sum Tracks 2) will be equipped with Level Editor, at least a simplest one. So, I hope you'll be happy

It will make a lot of people very happy. I'll even run a weekly contest to keep people building and playing custom levels. Since it'll be a new game and not one that's at least 4 years old, it's likely that it will be even more popular than the weekly CTC2PP castle contest.

eliolanda
eliolanda
4 posts
Nomad

I've never thought of level creation in quest terms. But here are problems. First of all to implement quests in game it should hit 80+ rating. Tass won't ask to make quests for average game. And Sum Tracks 2 obviously will be a sequel, which unlikely hit 75+ mark. Secondary, I assume players may just upload required quantity of levels to complete quest, not bothering of its quality.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

And Sum Tracks 2 obviously will be a sequel, which unlikely hit 75+ mark.

Both Sum Points and Sum Tracks have a rating of at least 84. The addition of quests inflates games' ratings to an extent, but both of them had to have started out with a high enough rating for quests to be requested.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

@Ernie15 There is a new game with a level editor, Logical Element. You must complete the first 12 levels to unlock sandbox mode, but this is a very easy puzzle game, so that takes very little time to do. Share your levels here.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

That game took 5 minutes to beat. The level editor is all the potential it has, and I used it to create a challenging level.

The iron is hot, and after my SHIFT 4 contest starts (where is @DrElmer...), Logical Element will be next in line.

eliolanda
eliolanda
4 posts
Nomad

@Ernie15, @Arm_Candy
Sum Points Levels Pack with Level Editor released. I hope you like it )

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

@eliolanda It is lovely. Thank you for giving us the ability to create our own puzzles!

I have started a thread for custom level codes, and I have featured a link to the thread in the game's comments.

Showing 31-37 of 40