ForumsProgramming ForumIs there any websites I can go to to learn how to program

14 13657
dshfgjds83
dshfgjds83
1 posts
Nomad

Is there any websites I can go to to learn how to program? I am a gamer, and i really would like to make the games rather than just play them all the time.

• 14 Replies
Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Looks like @Arm_Candy answered your question already @dshfgjds83!

Let's move this thread to the Programmimg Forum as well, as it is better suited there...

philimaster
philimaster
491 posts
Peasant

code academy is useful

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Go google whatever language you want to make the game in. Then study up on it till you can do some basic stuff (this will probably be whatever they offer up to, it's basic anyway). Then pick something small in scope and try to make that. Make mistakes, give up, then try again. Sometimes looking at code of other projects helps you not start from ground zero.

Flash is kinda on it's way to the grave. So HTML5 (canvas really) and Unity are your best bet if you want to make web games or in unity's case well for any platform. There are plenty of tutorial for HTM5 and making games for them and a bucketon of games and source code access to them too. Just depends on how motivated you are.

Google is probably you best friend in this case.

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Flash is kinda on it's way to the grave.

Well lets see Adobe gave up on mobile development for it...then Google gave up on Unity...whose to say what platform will survive for long. Though the truth is people have been saying flash is dying for probably 3 or 4 years now mostly because of HTML5 and the lack of mobile development. I would like to ask @Darkroot what significant steps has HTML5 done in the game dev industry? The basis of most of HTML5 games lay in javascript which has been around longer than Flash, in fact I think Flash is based on that language though it executes it much better in terms of structure mostly because it has been developed for more than a decade. As for what lay in the future who knows...

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Google really didn't give up on it they just stopped supporting an outdated api that they were using. But they are Unity is switching to webGL which is infinitely better even canvas uses it and it allows for GPU accelerated graphics.

Well it's not HTML5, it's canvas which is like the stage in flash in that you can draw to it and add children to it though it is different then flash in how it works. No flash is pretty poorly implemented and you can get much more optimized and faster games using HTML5. JavaScript is is great in general things like Pixi.js are quite good frameworks and there are a lot of other alternatives.

The only real problem is that unlike flash HTML5 game development is more fragmented you would need to download something that let you edit frame by frame animations like spline editor but that's not that large of an issue it's just different from the complete package that was flash before. The specification is not done yet but it is more optimized and you don't need to download plugins that create swiss cheese out of your browser security. If new flash ever comes out it will probably be a development environment for making html5 games. But flash was never made for making games (yeah they added some new bells and whistled to actiosncript to make it easier to make them) but that wasn't the point of flash. So I doubt adobe will turn around and just go make a game development environment even if their sole interest would be like when they made flash for making interactive web things like ads.

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

Like philimaster said "Code Academy" is your best bet for free. Personally I think it'd be better to pick up a book though.

Esquilache
Esquilache
45 posts
Nomad

Like philimaster said "Code Academy" is your best bet for free. Personally I think it'd be better to pick up a book though.

Code Academy is really good. I made my first "Hello World" thanks to Code Academy.

Justin1987
Justin1987
10 posts
Nomad

Yep, I agree code academy is great, that's how I taught myself coding.
Also, there are loads of forums for programmers - so yeah basically ask the internet!
I don't know what your coding skills are like already but I recommend starting small. Just to expeirment, you could make get your own site from someone like this, and use it to try out ideas. That's what I did, I've still got it actually - I just made sure i gave it a really obscure URL so no one will ever find it! LOL
Basically, trial and errors, that's the best way to learn.
It's be cool if there was some kind of online workshop for people who wanna learn more about programming, does anyone know of anything like this?

dorukayhan
dorukayhan
1,318 posts
Bard

i prefer tutorialspoint. it doesnt only give decent tutorials but it also provides browser-based compilers so u can experiment with different programming languages without installing anything

edit:

It's be cool if there was some kind of online workshop for people who wanna learn more about programming, does anyone know of anything like this?

did u mean something like this?

Jtom2k
Jtom2k
43 posts
Nomad

Udemy offer basic courses, however you can step it up and purchase expert courses for cheap prices. What languages were you hoping to learn?

yz125
yz125
256 posts
Peasant

I personally learned by myself. By all means i'm still not the best but I can still do a lot depending on the task that is at hand. When I first started I simply learned terms and the vocabulary that is used in coding and programming, such as what is debugging ext. Programing can be learned multiple ways however. For example, youtube is effective. Hundreds of professional programmers post tutorials on youtube. It all depends on what you need to learn and what language are you trying to use. Me personally I love C++ and Javascript. But again I started out with basic tutorials and just learning vocabulary. I definitely recommend that you go the same route if you plan on programming on your spare time!

ermassa
ermassa
11 posts
Nomad

I definitely back the Code Academy suggestions, it's really great for a hands-on approach. I learned through a mixture of Code Academy and general research, simply by Googling whatever I needed to know. Honestly, there are so many useful free resources out there. When I wanted to read up on Bootstrap, for example, I found this tutorial, which was a bit of mind-blower at the time - "what, you mean I don't have to start from scratch every time??". That said, perhaps if I intended to do go into programming professionally I'd be more inclined to invest in proper text book though.

Ecels4
Ecels4
5 posts
Blacksmith

Unity,Unity and yet Unity (;

Showing 1-14 of 14