ForumsForum GamesDisaster Expert RPG

15 5615
The_Disaster_Expert
The_Disaster_Expert
9 posts
Nomad

Disaster Expert RPG

The Basics
Welcome to a disaster scenario RPG game where your character is (to say the least) in the wrong place at the wrong time, always. You must use intuition, take quick-action, and read scenarios to make sure you survive. This RPG isn't extensive (not cause I'm lazy), but simple for it will be based on FACT and is intended to be educational in life-threatening situations while adding a little fun.

How It Works
Like I said above, nice and simple: There will be a detailed envision of a particular scenario/ setting or event(s) which will be followed by a series of multiple choices. These choices can have 3 effects on you, POSITIVE (+), NEUTRAL (o), or NEGATIVE (-). You may only choose one of the multiple choices for each description. So now you are thinking "how do these choices effect me?", good question; They will directly effect your Survival Meter. Your Survival Meter is a constantly diminishing, [each choice (depending on the extremity of the situation) will cost Survival Meter points], 0-100 meter of your survivability. 100 = completely safe / unharmed, 50 = in danger / harmed 0 = dead.
This means that you are in a constant race with the meter that represents safety and well being. In example:

You wake up to the sound of your smoke detectors blaring siren song, you are already enveloped in smoke, and surrounded by fire. What do you do first? Survival Meter -20 / a choice.
Survival Meter: 90 (You have been asleep and have inhaled some smoke before awaking....
a) look for an immediate exit
b) quickly craft a breathing apparatus out of clothing to inhibit smoke inhalation
c) grab your cup of water on your nightstand to try to purge a small path thru the flame

+) You chose b) quickly craft a breathing apparatus out of clothing to inhibit smoke inhalation, this was the Positive (+) choice for your scenario, now it cost you 20 points to choose what to do so now you would be at Survival Meter: 70, but since this choice was the best out of the three for in the moment, you gain 25 points for this scenario, bringing you back up to Survival Meter: 95.
o) Now if you had chosen a) look for an immediate exit, that would have been the Neutral (o) choice, giving you only 10 points, for you are surrounded by fire, and find no exit, basically putting you in the same spot before you chose.
-) Lastly, c) grab your cup of water on your nightstand to try to purge a path thru the flame. This is the Negative (-) choice for many reasons: A) you don't know the cause of flame, it could be electrical or chemical you can MAKE IT WORSE, B) it was stated you are surrounded by fire, that means there is A LOT of flame, even a large cup of water won't help you move an inch. In this scenario this choice would have costed you 10 points on top of it's original 20. 30 points in one turn, no bueno.

So as long as you have common sense and an adaptive mind, you'll watch yourself survive the impossible. So if you wanna join all you have to do is fill out this quick Info Slip:

Name:
Basic Traits: [i.e, happy, adventurous, sporadic]

That's all for the Info Slip, I just need that basic info to help me create scenarios and have the most accurate choices corresponding with your person. Don't forget to delete the examples of Basic Traits! (Unless of course that's you.)

• 15 Replies
Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

Name: Axorez
Weight: 70kg
Basic Traits: Quiet, The opposite of brave(what's the word?)

OOC: isn't this more like CYOA?

The_Disaster_Expert
The_Disaster_Expert
9 posts
Nomad

Cool! Got some peeps! I'm just gonna wait for 1 or more people and we will get started!

@Loop_Stratos - No, this is not a CYOA for it's all up to me. I mean, maybe in the future players can choose the setting / disaster but right now, this guy holds the reigns.

If no one else joins, I'll start tomorrow.

The_Disaster_Expert
The_Disaster_Expert
9 posts
Nomad

You know what, let's just get started I'm excited to get this train rolling, and I also need some more personalization to get the first scenario going.

D.E RPG 1: ?????

The Beginning
You are a wildlife / flora photographer visiting a newly formed volcanic chain of exotic islands named the Hope-Pash Islands hoping to collect some quality pictures of the animals that have made their new homes here. Unfortunately you are new to photography, so you haven't made a name for yourself and don't have much money to your name. So hoping that brining yourself to the islands on a small fisherman's boat will help concrete yourself in the ever-growing picture business and maybe even land you some good cash.
Since you are traveling far from home, you pack appropriately for 7 days and 7 nights. Besides clothes and basic sanitations (such as a tooth brush and deodorants), list 5 things you will bring on the trip:
Note, these are exotic islands in the southern hemisphere, so the islands are tropical in nature, and are very humid and you should expect chances of rain everyday.

The weather forecast looks good:
"The week's forecast looks like you should expect some rain, with scattered thunderstorms, remaining partly cloudy for the majority of the week with high temperatures ranging from the low 90's to mid 80's."

You are now on your way to the islands.....

Note: If you haven't filled out the Info Slip yet, please do so first, it's in the first post.

RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant

Name: Simon Lane
Weight: 88kg
Basic Traits: brave, carefree, intelligent

The_Disaster_Expert
The_Disaster_Expert
9 posts
Nomad

Wonderful! Welcome, Razorlash!

You may list your 5 wanted items on "the trip" see my post above yours.

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

Yes, coward's the word...

Name: Axorez
Weight: 70kg
Basic Traits: Quiet, Coward
1. Knife
2. Raincoat
3. Ropes
4. Compass
5. A portable bed

RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant

1. spray on insect repellent
2. Swiss army knife
3. portable water purifier
4. flash light
5. Lighter

The_Disaster_Expert
The_Disaster_Expert
9 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the delay, I shall post later today, in (I estimate) 8 hours time.

The_Disaster_Expert
The_Disaster_Expert
9 posts
Nomad

Day 1
You arrive at the islands with no hitch. The boat ports at an almost non existent dock / landing at the northern-most tip of the northern-most island. You hop of the boat with your suitcase with your supplies and camera and tell the boater thanks. He says he will be back at the same time (12 noon) 7 days from now. He also advises you take take shelter at the lean-to camp located on the northern island. It should get you through rain he says but for heavy storms you may want to look for a cave or head to the southernmost island, for he has heard rumors of some sort of camp with a good walled and roofed structure there. With that info, and a wave, he departures, to be senn only again in a week. You are now all alone. You have a couple of choices to make.

Survival Meter: 100, -0 a choice. But, they cost time.
a) Take the boater's first advice and start to look for the lean-to camp on the island you are currently on
b) Take the boater's secondary advice and look for another island, and maybe find a more suitable place to set up camp
c) Look for a great vantage point to survey the land
d) Start your photography
e) Set up camp right here (do you have a tent?)

The_Disaster_Expert
The_Disaster_Expert
9 posts
Nomad

@ScrewTheLag

You chose b) Take the boater's secondary advice and look for another island, and maybe find a more suitable place to set up camp.

You've decided that planning for the worst is the best idea and you immediately head east away from the forest and towards the dunes to survey the water for the other islands of the chain. It takes you an hour to walk to a good vantage point but in doing so you easily spot a small island hidden by mirage caused by the sun's glare on the water that you could have missed if you were just simply walking the beaches. It looks real close, you could easily swim to it. Between setting up your valuables to float over with you safely and the act of swimming to the eastern island, an hour slips by. Your day is now 1/4 over and you haven't taken a single picture or found a camp, now you must:

a) Look for a great vantage point to survey the land
b) Start your photography
c) Set up camp right here (do you have a tent?)
d) Continue to look for more islands so you can reach the southernmost island

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

b)

RazorLash
RazorLash
442 posts
Peasant

1. spray on insect repellent
2. Swiss army knife
3. portable water purifier
4. flash light
5. Lighter

I choose A

The_Disaster_Expert
The_Disaster_Expert
9 posts
Nomad

@Loop_Stratos
You chose b) Take the boater's secondary advice and look for another island, and maybe find a more suitable place to set up camp.
(IF YOU CHOSE A) FIRST THIS GETS SKIPPED ALONG WITH 2 HOURS AND YOU SWIM TO THE WESTERN ISLAND)
You've decided that planning for the worst is the best idea and you immediately head east away from the forest and towards the dunes to survey the water for the other islands of the chain. It takes you an hour to walk to a good vantage point but in doing so you easily spot a small island hidden by mirage caused by the sun's glare on the water that you could have missed if you were just simply walking the beaches. It looks real close, you could easily swim to it. Between setting up your valuables to float over with you safely and the act of swimming to the eastern island, an hour slips by. Your day is now 1/4 over and you haven't taken a single picture or found a camp, now you must:

a) Look for a great vantage point to survey the land
b) Start your photography
c) Set up camp right here (do you have a tent?)
d) Continue to look for more islands so you can reach the southernmost island

@RazorLash
You chose a) Take the boater's first advice and start to look for the lean-to camp on the island you are currently on.
He didn't tell you it's location, and to make things worse this island has a thick underbrush and sizable forest. You decide the best plan of action is to look for signs of a path used to get to and from the lean-to. Before entering the dense forest you travel the beaches of the island, circling the forest to look for a decent entrance. You do this for a couple of hours before coming to the conclusion that there isn't a noticeable path. Although you didn't find your path, you could see an island off the western coast of your island that you know you could swim to. Your day is now 1/4 over and you haven't taken a single picture or found a camp. Now you must:
a) Take the boater's secondary advice and swim to the western island you found, and maybe find a more suitable place to set up camp
b) Look for a great vantage point to survey the land
c) Start your photography
d) Set up camp right here (do you have a tent?)

Okay, looks like you guys answered the first set of questions, I'll now work on the next set! Hopefully I'll post it tonight, or if not tomorrow!

@ScrewTheLag
I know you were first to answer and have been waiting the longest, I was just waiting for the others to post. I'll try and have your end posted tonight.g

Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

Name: Zek
Weight: 64kg (that's like pretty lightweight, right?)
Basic Traits: calm, upbeat, clumsy
1. knife
2. bedding roll
3. one of those wind-up lamp thingummyjigs
4. lighter (Zippo-type)
5. water bottle (one of the big plastic ones)

I'm assuming that I'll have a backpack for this? And it is still possible to join, correct?

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

this is in the mirage island no?

C

Showing 1-15 of 15