ForumsNews and FeedbackGathering ideas: How to make AG Ad-System more user friendly

7 4690
Gringomaniac
Gringomaniac
10 posts
Blacksmith

The last few days with two overlapping problems, one of them connected to Ads and that users try to avoid them have shown that Armorgames has &quototential to improve their Ad-System" and maybe get more users supporting the website by not avoiding Ads.
I will add a lot of personal thoughts and explanations, mostly for AG to comprehend the reasons for this thread. If you are not interested in that, just scroll down to the ideas and thus hopefully the start of a useful discussion.
Personally, i am playing games on 3 major flashgame plattforms and AG is the only one i don't want to use while it's showing Ads because often enough I can't decide anymore whether the page is still showing a game or is just there for Ads. I still come here because of some parts of the community and because AG had a good sense of sponsoring the right game developers in the past. I just mention that because it shows my personal sight and because it's something AG maybe could work with.

Now it is clear that you can't just compare every website according to which or which kind of Ads are shown, since the offers you get depend on your average hits.
But you can compare the implementation of Ads. I'll get to that later, first I want to enlist the obvious ways how AG earns the money to pay the servers, bandwidth and the wages of the people that work on improving and sustaining the site. If i missed something, please add that to include it into the discussion about the topic.

• Adding Ads to the site. Obviously, as everyone can see.
  • Having players pay for Ad-free gaming.
  • Percentage of money spent in games featured on Armorgames.

Well, i'll start with the criticism of the current system.

Ads: Surely those are and will be the most important source of income as they affect all users that do not actively avoid them. But they are also the most annoying part of AG as it currently is.
Ads on all sides of a game? So you surely will click one if you accidentaly move your mouse 1mm too far on fast games? Yes, surely a good idea to generate revenue in a short term. But annoying as hell, since you often get problems in the game because the freshly opened ad-tab (sometimes even more than just one) overlaps the game.
I guess i'm not alone when i say: I play games for fun. Always having to take care to not lose game progress by accidentaly clicking Ads is no fun at all. Hence i do everything necessary to avoid those accidents, even if that includes to play those games somewhere else.

Ad-free gaming: Well, it is a nice idea and in my opinion not even overpriced IF it could compare to similar systems. On AG it is already hard to see which advantages you would get for buying that. Ok, obviously no Ads. Special Forums. Fullscreen gaming. Not sure if there is something else. Surely there are people that like this offer, but i don't.
As i wrote before, the two main reasons why i still come to AG are community and good games.
Now, community was always a critical topic here. I played games on AG since 2008, but only in 2011 i found it necessary to register here - probably because of online saves. Why didn't i register earlier? Main reason: No chat, no direct communication with community. And unfortunately that only partially improved. Personally i don't like the chat system and it still has it's problems working together with discuss sometimes.
AGs probably biggest competitor always had the advantage there with a chat next to every game. That built up a community, even if it often couldn't compare if you were looking for new top games. But it was a reason to always come back and also stay.
By now this competitor has nearly the same offers but with some huge advantages in community. That is why in the end i took the better offer there and also paid for ad-free gaming. And that is why i don't see any reason to do that a second time on AG for a much worse offer.

Now for the Ideas, especially if you scrolled down because you were not interested in my personal thoughts:

• Make Ads more player-friendly. Don't put them right next to the games where they spoil any fun in playing. This alone would probably already increase the amount of people that are willing to accept Ads on the games.
  • If possible, provide a way to close Ads that are known to slow down the page. A lot of players chose to play flash games because they don't have a computer system capable of running high end games, so they are also affected by overflowing ressource use of Ads.
  • It's not an original idea, but already widely used on other platforms and mobile versions of the same games that are also hosted here: Offer game developers a way to show Ads for special ingame rewards to compensate the income from removing some general Ads. Like: Watch this Ad and get 10min bonus on income.As i said, that feature is already used by a lot of the games you host too, just on other platforms.

• Expand your offers for Ad-Free gaming and advertise it better. Features that made me pay for a similar offer are: Possibility to create a personal chatroom and early access to games in beta-status or close to going public.
  • Offer a reward system that awards points, coins, or whatever for certain amounts of money spent on featured games. With a certain amount of those everyone can get Ad-Free gaming. Since MMOs became a huge money sink for some players in the last years, that would especially reward players that spend a lot of money without giving them the feeling that they have to pay twice.
  • Rather a personal advice, but still I think it's important for platforms that offer flash games nowadays: Improve your chat system and thus the community features. I know this will not be easy and also require more Users that moderate chat rooms, but in the end it is the main key to bind a community to your page.

Now that was a long text for only six real ideas, but i hope others can contribute more to get back AG to be the top flash game adress.

Edit: Apparently you can only list 3 points at once, so i had to change formatting.

• 7 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

@Gringomaniac

Hey, not sure if you know it already or if AG advertises it, but regarding your fourth point, AFG+ allows you beta access to some games.

Gringomaniac
Gringomaniac
10 posts
Blacksmith

Thanks Nicho. I didn't see that information anywhere before. Pretty much all i know about Ad-Free gaming is this:
Edit: The fullscreen gaming information comes from the banner on starting page of AG which leads to the picture i posted.

https://picload.org/image/wircdod/ad-freegaming.jpg

Wedalti
Wedalti
6 posts
Blacksmith

TLDR: Armorgames got greedy, changed its scripting to block users from logging in while adblockers are active. Supported or not supported in your EULA, this is an infringement of my FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS. As such, I am never coming back.

I know for a fact that the AG Forum police will delete this post the second they read it, but thats ok, the screenshots are already in place to prove it was there.

I am not going to waste the time to make any silly statements or postures, I'm just leaving you to your own fate.

Gringomaniac
Gringomaniac
10 posts
Blacksmith

Wedalti
Adblockers put some of Armorgames' features on their filter lists.
We could argue how much of that was AGs "fault" by trying to get Ads through the filters, but at least the login problems occured because of an action by Adblockers.

poisiden_watergod
poisiden_watergod
1 posts
Nomad

i have another suggestion like when you login in it reloads the page is there anyway it could not do that (like kongregate not comparing but sure that is a really nice feature)

scole86
scole86
6 posts
Chancellor

Came looking for something like this from ZombIdle... Per the chat, I know I'm not the only one who goes through this, but something does need to be done about this. When I have my adblocker on, the game runs perfectly fine. When it's off, there are 6 ads running on the page along with the game, 2 above, 2 below, 1 to each side... and it ran a video before letting me even start the game. All of those extra items on the page cause the game to lag fiercely, and the only reason I even consider putting up with it is to try and take advantage of the ads in the game. Maybe if the powers that be at Armorgames hadn't decided to run so many ads at once, I would not feel compelled to block them so I can actually enjoy the games on the site. I have no problem with paying a bit of a premium for a good flash game; in fact, I first came to this site so I could do the premium version of Kingdom Heroes. My problem is when it seems that a site wants you to pay a premium to make the good games playable.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Make Ads more player-friendly. Don't put them right next to the games where they spoil any fun in playing. This alone would probably already increase the amount of people that are willing to accept Ads on the games.
This would reduce the value of the ad. If it's that big a deal, you can adjust your browser window to fit the game only, thereby still viewing the ads without having them in the way.

Rather a personal advice, but still I think it's important for platforms that offer flash games nowadays: Improve your chat system and thus the community features. I know this will not be easy and also require more Users that moderate chat rooms, but in the end it is the main key to bind a community to your page.
Improve how? You need to be clear about what improvements you want to see.
Showing 1-7 of 7