ForumsNews and FeedbackArmor Games Quality is slowly getting worse....

7 5204
popington
popington
119 posts
Chamberlain

Is it just me or does it seem like the Quality of the games on AG is going down?
it seems like a few years ago, almost all the games were good.
but now, there are so many games being released on AG that are getting really low ratings, like below 50 ratings...
i know that isn't entirely AG's fault, but the fault of the developers and such.
but really? AG used to have the majority of game be high quality.
just look at the main website page.
out of the 16 games in the new area,
10/16 are below 75
9/16 are at or are below 60
6/16 are below 50!

thats bad...
anyone else notice this decline of AG?

• 7 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

In my opinion Flash games in general are on a decline. Now you get a few very very good games, but the expectations are raised higher because of the proliferation of other video games with great graphics and complex game play.

popington
popington
119 posts
Chamberlain

yeah, there still are a few good games that come to AG. its just a bit disappointing when the ratings are this low....
i dont like the voting system. perhaps we should go back to the old method?
when you only have a like and dislike option, the ratings could be a bit unfair...
for example, all the game haters will most likely be sure to leave there hate message in the form of a dislike. but the people who like it, or think its just okay, might not rate it. (this includes me. i dont typically rate anymore)
the old system was more fair. it let you say how much you hated/liked it on a scale of 0.5/10. i personally would start rating again if we went back to the old method again. likes/dislikes dont give you a very good choice for rating, so for me personally, I'm left with the option of not voting at all for the most part.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

A few years ago, the rating system was changed because positive ratings tended to be weaker than negative ratings. By that, I mean that a negative rating was more likely to be 0.5 than a positive rating was to be 10. That said, it has been suggested in the past to let experienced users use the old system, and I wouldn't mind bringing it back, even if it's not for all users.

popington
popington
119 posts
Chamberlain

if the old system was to be brought back, i would definitely be fair with using it.
as far as i remember i was fair with it back then too.
it just seems more accurate (as long as there arent haters skewing it up)
for example, what if i wanted to rate it a 5/10?
with the current rating system, what do i do?
dislike it? (technically meaning below 5 ( though not really))
like it (technically meaning above 5 (though not really))
or not vote at all.
or there is this method of thinking:
look at the current number rating
if you think it should be higher or lower than that number, like/dislike appropriately. but thats kind of harsh if a game has a 95 and you think its worth and 85 so you dislike it even though you still like the game?
this method causes problems too...
with the expectations of flash games only going up, we really need to be able to scale 10 rate again. a game could be worth a 50, but since you can only like/dislike, and since a 50 is below most peoples expectations, they will dislike it, and when everyone dislikes it, it could get a way lower rating than it deserves, such as a 30...
and for a solution to the scale 10 haters causing it to be inaccurate, what if we made it so that the 0.5 ratings (the lowest possible) counted for way less than all the other ratings? typically the hate raters will rate it the lowest possible, and nothing above that. so making the hate rate count for less could fix the problem. dont you think?
does this make sense to anybody else? or do i just seem a bit over concerned and I'm fighting to hard? lol

RedN
RedN
141 posts
Duke

It is true that flash is slowly losing interest, and it's not really a surprise, because if its limitations, some devs have moved to Unity, it's a good game engine, and we have seen great games made with it, but it's not as good for browser games, because someone who wants to play a game on AG wouldn't want to wait for it to load 100Mb of data (quality games are generally heavy in file-size,and it requires some plugins).

I think that the future of browser games is in HTML5, cross-platform, no additionnal plugins to run those games, just an iframe and the game as a document inside it, maybe someday we will start seeing good HTML5 games on AG.

BalkanRenegades
BalkanRenegades
824 posts
Treasurer

I guess you are right in a point. Some games ended with cathastrophical rating by players, I mean look at Strike Force Heroes 3. I checked rating on some of newer games here and they mostly don't get above 7.5/10, rarely 8/10. Most of ex-big devs are now working on full PC games and mobile phones since Flash became popular on phones and PC. I don't think that it will change very soon. However, we still have got some other great authors like Scriptwelder, developer of Don't Escape. They are one bright point of this story.

popington
popington
119 posts
Chamberlain

we still have GemCraft here on AG.
Chapter 3! yay! so excited!
i wonder when it will come out....

Showing 1-7 of 7