ForumsThe Tavern[necro]Does Music Affect Your Mood?

4 5094
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

I found myself listening to a little bit of rock, and it has significantly affected my mood. I feel a bit happier when I listen to rock instead of slow songs. If you've seen me posting in the "right now I'm listening to" thread, you would know I listen to sad songs a lot.

So I want to know, does music affect your mood?

• 4 Replies
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Music affects my mood of course but I have the habit of blasting the good tracks on repeat. Even the happiest piece becomes a bit depressing when doing that. I try not to overdo it because it really affects me when I do too much, despite it being the usual way I listen to music

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

It does, clearly. Though for some reason listening to music that fits my current mood often feels better (and has a bigger effect) than trying to alter my mood with something different. I still shuffle through a vast variety of genres though, so don't think you can read my mood from the song I'm listening to

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Absolutely does music effect my mood, and more so; music as the power to inspire, motivate, unite, sadden, relax, and even destroy. Music is with us today more than ever, something that we often take for granted. Can you imagine a world without music? Can you imagine the 60's without The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, or The Rolling Stones? The 70's and 80's without AC/DC, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Metallica, etc, etc, etc...? The 90's without Nirvana, Radiohead, Rage Against The Machine, Tool, etc, etc? The 00's with bands like System of a Down, Linkin Park, Slipknot, etc...?
The surface can barely be scratched in the thread on the subject of the deep connection that exists between human emotionality and the realm of a thing that we call music. Most all of us identify with some sort of music, although we all do it slightly differently, and for many of us, our affinity for music is rooted as deeply in us as the marrow in our bones.

Parajugarmucho
Parajugarmucho
30 posts
Scribe

Yes.
Sad music makes you feel sad, and happy music makes you happy.
The capacity of music changing emotions is implicit in it.
Why would anyone listen to music if it didn't affect your emotions?

Showing 1-4 of 4