ForumsProgramming ForumMaking a game?

2 5670
Shenko
Shenko
1,059 posts
Treasurer

So I take computer science classes in college. I know the basics of programming like linked lists, binary search trees, polymorphism, and inheritance. I have a winter break between semesters and I want to stay fresh on my programming skills. To do so i'll make a simple game, but I also want something worthy of being posted onto Armorgames. Since I attribute my interest in computer science partially to armorgames.com and it seems like a fun project. So I have a few questions.

•I'll be using Visual Studio 2015 to code my games in C/C++, along with SFML. Is this allowed, or is there a specific program I have to use to make my games eligible for submission?

•How do I submit my game? Is it in a .zip file?

•Developers? Should I apply to be a developer or is that something entirely different?

•Is there anything else I should know? Connecting it with the Armorgames Quests system would be cool, but maybe if I make a lot of games and I actually get good at making games, I'll delve into that field.

• 2 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Glad to see new talent growing! Let's call out our resident Game Guru @Tasselfoot on this!

Tasselfoot
Tasselfoot
804 posts
Chamberlain

Hey Shenko!

Congrats on learning the skills and the drive to make stuff!

I'll be perfectly honest though... your first project, with a knowledge of the basics, is almost certainly not going to meet our standards. On the whole, we accept about 2% of the games submitted to us. We get sent a ton of great games, and almost nobody makes a masterpiece on their first try; you learn, iterate, improve, incorporate feedback, etc.

Which is not to say you shouldn't do. You should! Because it's the only way you improve. Make and make and make and make. Get better every day.

And, because I've been wrong before... you may make something amazing and we'd love to have on the site. So, for your questions:
-We don't accept C/C++ games, unless they can now be exported to html5? I don't think they can. We consider games made in Flash, Unity, or HTML5. There are tons of environments out there, as well as frameworks and tools to make coding easier for these platforms.
-Ideally, I like a URL submitted to me for playtesting, with your game embedded on the page. We only consider web games, not executable ones.
-No need to apply for Dev Status; it's not anything fancy and just allows you to upload your game. We can get you that access when it's needed.
-Anything else that's needed can be discussed and explained after you have a game that we're interested in having on the site. That's the big hurdle to overcome.

If you have any questions, concerns, or whatnot... you can always reach me at tasselfoot@armorgames.com

Cheers!
-Tass

Showing 1-2 of 2