ForumsNews and Feedback[Answered] Page ads consuming too much CPU

9 5363
venutia
venutia
10 posts
Nomad

The page ads (not the flash video ads) are consuming too much CPU. I've had to drop special effects and detail settings to accommodate this.

Also, they're extremely distracting. I'm ok with a few ads before I play the game, but I didn't pay for the game just to watch animated ads throughout the entire time I'm playing it.

If there's no fix, I'll look to extract the flash element from the HTML and make a container page for it, and post it in the forums... but that's work.

• 9 Replies
RavePenguin
RavePenguin
513 posts
Peasant

Hello,

We are working with our ad partners as there are a number of reports (and forum posts) of different ads in the past week. If you can help us with sharing some ad details that will help us to report and remove some of these ads.

-RP

venutia
venutia
10 posts
Nomad

It seems to be all ads. Something changed, maybe a few weeks ago? But I hadn't been playing for awhile before that.

venutia
venutia
10 posts
Nomad

Ok, right off, here's two animated ads:

.... why can't I post a picture?

One is from "vitacost" and another is from "NexGard flea and tick chews" for dogs. Both animated.

I despise animated ads. They're distracting and obnoxious. They subtract value from my computer by commandeering a huge chunk of the CPU performance I paid for. I want to be able to prohibit ads from playing animations on my computers and there's no way to do it.

venutia
venutia
10 posts
Nomad

Also, I'm running one window of firefox, with the game and this page, and there's three Flash processes running. It looks to me like you've got two flash ads running in addition to the game.

Just stop having flash ads. That's your problem right there.

venutia
venutia
10 posts
Nomad

The game is unplayable

RavePenguin
RavePenguin
513 posts
Peasant

Hey @venutia,

The team that works with our ad partners has asked if you can get us the URLs of the ads as this will help us report these to our ad partners to have them removed out of the rotation.

I am sorry that this is causing you frustration.

-RP

venutia
venutia
10 posts
Nomad

Ok here's two links for the two ads currently running. What I'm seeing is the game drag down to unusuable even though the CPU is only at 50%.

These are the links (just right click > copy link). Wasn't sure what you wanted. I could dig deeper if necessary...

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=CFlJYF_bTWfeFCNTHhASsmJCQDrnrxfRH5NOH-fUEuO747pADEAEgxL7cI2DJhoWJiKSEEKABwJuC_APIAQmoAwGqBLMBT9D8oOneZ2gRfSfMszbOnN2_ViP3QiOBFiI8-SgcftZjB47lcPyNhaBB963eHWI-uoLxBVMq8_-JdKIOLSHCSbM8JK_iYzBJmDQlEnEybe19kYArDniUr-Oolf1WtnuOIR9Cgy9js3vhfCTNEiebYMNN6V33KljwYnXbXOlbkfe1-zQP_242emL2W4qYjSfPCIFBZ1DH9oEkwxntJ20GaRLjGxxT2dfYANk0p9qz_izWs3H6BQYIJRABGAKgBi6AB6jk_QOoB6a-G9gHANIIBwiAQBABGADyCBBiaWRkZXItNTM5MTk1ODMw&num=1&ampr=9:AAABXuP5SuNAB8HmXlBKhdjCqETm5fgKRUGkRA&cid=CAASEuRoxTStVcnn3zkB0qBUovMthA&sig=AOD64_3tHPruVg8cc9MPWm1p_NHs2dRUyQ&adurl=http://www.audiolab.com/polk-audio-tsi200-bookshelf-speakers-pair/%3Futm_medium%3Dgoogleshopping%26utm_source%3Dbc%26attributes%3DeyIxMTA2NCI6Ijg2NTAifQ%253D%253D&client=ca-pub-3028258428956246

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=CzLaaiPXTWYntDsX7zgWfrJmwDI_-0_NKgJbD0LcFldn88_cJEAEgg5D-AWDJhoWJiKSEEKABtI_s9QPIAQmpAkfngLK-uLM-4AIAqAMByAObBKoE8gFP0PXht96uuPgls5jYo7JcLKaxCgFLk2hOLPN0uTXvpfUg4UAWGhm_lacoJpPgjQP026JHHX-eWu5C4w0yLzTB0v_0vCnxYHoTKOmTc9HdSeRTt9I1Lf0qrrdqIN9nXnSmHVAuR7zYCZ5r8G8jKTHoDyBqn75BmmjjDuprknKyyIwwoRKa3HgVeKR_YjLAMM4VAJ5-4PrWvAjHwkMXqvO_7GULwJAoQ-mb8MpnPpcoTEP5xmhcxpFRezJQTXqKP-vPz_o7O7NWyt0LhxGAKvA9ii0IRH1f7MWs6ECYrf-lkOAl7YT4pnMV4zJI4WByKrSpdeAEAaAGLoAHtPCTCqgHpr4b2AcA0ggHCIBhEAEYAbEJlFiTYwYKdrnYEwI&num=1&cid=CAASEuRo6vH6Ts_bGaeaZ7NMN-thrA&sig=AOD64_2XVkUD3MyjoWo3Wg-bWRC9g0W0HQ&client=ca-pub-2816128178367254&adurl=http://www.visengi.com/products/h264_encoder&nx=588&ny=68&mb=2

venutia
venutia
10 posts
Nomad

The other thing I noticed was this time when I loaded the page, it had me watch a mandatory 30-ish second video instead of letting me cancel after 5 seconds.

??

RavePenguin
RavePenguin
513 posts
Peasant

Hello,

These links look to be related to Bookshelf Speakers and an ad for a video encoder. I'm not really familiar with these two as flash ads, but I'll mention this to the team in case they can look into this a little further. Thanks!

As for the 30 seconds without a skip, this isn't a bug. Some products are set up to have a have a skip feature, others do not. However, if you see an ad that is longer than 30 seconds without a skip that is something that should be reported as this out of the normal for our site.

-RP

Showing 1-9 of 9