ForumsGamesStick's Guide to Perfection In Game Development

0 3725
SomeRandomStickboy
SomeRandomStickboy
30 posts
Shepherd

There are a lot of things that provide entertainment for people. movies, songs, TV shows, etc. However, one of the most prevalent, interactive, and beloved methods of entertainment is playing video games. Developers work very hard to achieve success in the video game industry, and sometimes even teams work together to make a game. But what can you do to make a video game outstanding, especially in the browser industry?

First Topic: Program
Your program needs to be up to date and functional in order to make an exceptional game. If you want to make a good game, it doesn't necessarily have to have up-to-date programs. For example, I own a 10 y/o Windows XP PC(I swear to god if you spam the comments telling me to buy a new computer) with an older version of Flash and run a bunch of great games fine. Also, try to make your program something that most programmers know how to use, because that allows more people to create content like mods for your game.

Second Topic: Gameplay
Your gameplay needs to be entertaining, addictive, and intuitive for a game to be enjoyable. One crucial part of game development that most people get wrong is the UI/GUI. A UI is a User Interface, a GUI is a Graphical User Interface(has more pictures than words). What some games do is put so many buttons on the main menu of a game that newbies become overwhelmed by the amount of stuff and just leave. A solution for this is to reveal buttons over time for the player, or give them a simple yet understandable tutorial. After the tutorial, give them access to more buttons over time. Not a long time however, because that limits certain features greatly. For example, lets say I only reveal my Clan system when a player reaches Level 20/30. That will STRONGLY limit what players can do with clans, and will leave hard work to waste while only a few players interact with guilds.

Third Topic: Graphics
A lot of games go for graphics that are simplistic, cartoonish, or minimalistic, while other games go for ultra-realistic graphics. Your best bet is to go for cartoonish, pixelated, or simplistic. This is due to the fact that if you mess up your ultra-realism a bit, you could turn players away by the ugliness. Also, believe it or not, minimalism is actually quite hard to achieve in some cases. There is a stark uncanny valley when it comes to minimalism, and getting something outside of the valley can really hurt you.

Final Topic: Lag
It really doesn't matter how good your game is when it comes to lag. Lag is an ENORMOUS factor in game development, and can immediately turn away players. Tips to getting rid of lag are:
-Deleting unused features
-Cleaning up databases often
-Querying less stuff
-Doing occasional soft resets
-Keeping graphics low and not realistic
-Not having a huge number of entities floating around/moving around at once.

Conclusion
To end this essay off, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this. Let me know if you want more informative essays like this relating to games, their development, and/or their communities. Love y'all

• 0 Replies
Showing 46-45 of 0