ForumsSupport ForumWhen Flash goes away...

6 9072
Dew_South
Dew_South
1 posts
Nomad

With FLASH being phased out in 2020, what will be happening with the Flash-based games you have available? I use a desktop with Window OS, typically my browser is Google Chrome. Are any/all games being reworked with a different platform?

• 6 Replies
Dave1776
Dave1776
17 posts
Nomad

Same question here as I use Firefox and hae heard Flash is being phased out so how will this effect games both here and those hosed on Facebook as I play at least one of your games on Facebook.

GagHalfrunt
GagHalfrunt
5 posts
Nomad

Adobe are ending support for Flash at the end of 2020,

Flash won't 'disappear' it'll just no longer get functionality and security updates,

so you'll be able to carry on using Flash in it's final form version,

where you probably will encounter problems is with browsers and how they allow Flash and how they accomodate functionality of Flash,

for me, with the Flash game I play, my problems started when Chrome went beyond version 65 & Firefox went beyond version 63,

Chrome started rendering my game in software mode instead of hardware acceleration causing horrible lag and generating a warning about an unsupported video card problem,

Google Chrome is a fork of the Chromium Project, after Chrome went wrong all the other forks one by one followed suit, Opera, Vivaldi, Yandex, Facebook Gameroom (which is really a mini browser based on Chromium)

when Firefox updated to version 64 it started storing the Flash cookies in the Windows 10 user account/apps section, this screwed up some functionality in my game too,

my best solution so far has been to identify the build of Chromium the last good version of Google Chrome was built on and install that developer build of Chromium soley for playing browser based Flash games,
it doesn't have all the google product integrations and api's and best of all it has no built in updater so it stays exactly as you installed it,
you do need to go to Adobe and install the PPAPI version of the Flash plug-in even though Adobe confuses Chromium with Chrome and thinks it's pre packaged,

if you fancy trying it here's the download location,
it's Chromium version 65 Developer build for Windows 64-bit systems (basically any Windows 10)

https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/index.html?prefix=Win_x64/530358/

you want to download the mini_installer.exe file that's 2nd from the bottom, when you open that file it triggers the install process,
once installed, open Chromium and use it to visit the Adobe Flashplayer download site and install the PPAPI version of the plug-in for your operating system,

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

from here on you just treat it like regular Google Chrome, a word of caution, as this browser isn't fully up to date with the latest security patches you should only use it for playing Flash games on trusted sites,
for all your other browsing needs just use your regular preferred up to date browser,
you can have Chromium & Google Chrome both installed on the same pc and they don't seem to conflict with eachother.
I installed the extensions AdBlock Plus & Disconnect, also for Facebook I use the extension Fluff Buster Purity,
an often overlooked point is that the first time you want to use Flash on a site you have to click on the beginning of the address bar and use the site Flash options to set it to: 'Allow'
after that you only have to click on the jigsaw piece at the end of the address bar and allow the plug-in each time your game loads.

I hope this is of some help.

Dave1776
Dave1776
17 posts
Nomad

yeah see for firefox flash has been set by default to off and when I play a game I have to click the game window and allow. Use to be there was a check box to remember this option in the allow.disallow window but they removed this option so you have to click it every single time which is a royal pain as it's on all sites using flash not just here is a royal pain. I know some in the firefox forums were trying to find a work around for this to change it to allow rather then disallow by default but so far unsure if anyones found a solution

thebrickccentric
thebrickccentric
3 posts
Shepherd

Look up BlueMaxima FlashPoint. Apparently it is a huge project some people are doing to preserve as many Flash games as possible (including the ones on this site) before Flash goes away.

Doras_725
Doras_725
2 posts
Nomad

Could any one try downloading a game:
https://armorgames.com/community/thread/9585308/how-can-i-download-flash-games

then running it outside the browser:
https://www.howtogeek.com/438141/how-to-play-adobe-flash-swf-files-outside-your-web-browser/

and tell me if it works. And i am interested whether it would work with online games or not. Thank you.

thebrickccentric
thebrickccentric
3 posts
Shepherd

For Doras 725,
Yes, it works, but only with games that are built as .swf files (typically older games). Also, certain .swf games will not work unless they are played on armorgames.com, so they won't work with this method either.
However, I haven't tried it yet (and I don't know if it's finished yet), but look up BlueMaxima Flashpoint. Basically it's someone who's figured out a way to bypass all the stuff I mentioned above and play any Flash game. Whoever's making it has built up an incredible amount of Flash games, (I think they have nearly every single one from this site), and you can search for a specific game to see if it's on the list.

Showing 1-6 of 6