ForumsNews and FeedbackThe end of Flash pluh-in in December 2020

12 7205
deathjeff987
deathjeff987
1 posts
Nomad

Adobe has confirmed that they will stop the service of Flash in December 2020. What will happen to all Flash games? And can we save our childhood games like Sonny and such other games that we all grew up on?

• 12 Replies
eachday
eachday
41 posts
Shepherd

Oh my goodness... There cant be an end to flash games. What are we gonna do?

trying
trying
467 posts
Bard

End of support doesn't mean everything suddenly stops working.

ColtOP
ColtOP
2 posts
Nomad

I wonder if there's a way to convert flash games to HTML5 games?

Easy_Frag
Easy_Frag
5 posts
Shepherd

Ferret has confirmed that they are working on a solution for games that won't be ported to HTML5 by their Devs. There are ways to emulate flash, so they will come up with a solution for those few games that won't receive a port.

Sparagnausen
Sparagnausen
8 posts
Lord

I think we'll still be able to play everything somehow =P

rangerjackson17
rangerjackson17
2 posts
Peasant

Here's hoping

Mrbringbackraze4
Mrbringbackraze4
2 posts
Nomad

I hope we can save it

masterROC
masterROC
1 posts
Farmer

Edge has already shut down flash and trying to open was a pain, mozilla was operating but now harder to open as well, hope they find a new program soon.

MAMJr
MAMJr
1 posts
Nomad

This is the end of a very special era...

computertech82
computertech82
3 posts
Shepherd

Adobe already said it's END OF LIFE for the flash player. the links of the downloads also go away. So When flash does down, so does the flash games. "NO FLASH PLAYER DOWNLOAD WILL BE ALLOWED". Not sure if adobe will allow emulators or not.

Gatorrojo
Gatorrojo
1 posts
Farmer

Also, Google Chrome has confirmed it will stop supporting Flash Player. So anyone using it won't be able to play Flash games anymore.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

When flash does down, so does the flash games. "NO FLASH PLAYER DOWNLOAD WILL BE ALLOWED". Not sure if adobe will allow emulators or not.

Flash games will still be played off-line by quite a few means. They may possibly still be playable online through emulation as well.

There is emulation like Ruffle.

When adobe says no longer supporting Flash player, I'm pretty certain they mean the online browser based version of the Flash Player. Adobe will likely still have software that can play Flash files (.swf) offline, like Adobe AIR, which apparently is the current Flash authoring tool (see the quote from the article below). But even if Adobe does drop all forms of support for Flash, both offline and online, there are plenty of offline 3rd party Flash players not from Adobe. Flash games can be downloaded as .swf files and played in 3rd party off-line Flash players, although it may not work perfectly for all games and there is some added risk for the end-user as they are now downloading the file and playing it locally, so there's need to make certain the file and player choosen are legit.

Further, according to this article:

Technically speaking, the technology [Flash] will live on. The Flash authoring tool is part of Adobe Animate, while the rendering engine is included in Adobe AIR—which will be handed over to enterprise electronics company Harman International for ongoing maintenance, as it's still widely used in the enterprise arena.

And finally there are already preservation efforts by 3rd party groups in downloading and converting Flash games to be played as .exe files offline.

Showing 1-12 of 12