ForumsSupport ForumBest of Luck with Ruffle Transition

8 8327
dietonight
dietonight
63 posts
Blacksmith

Well the day of Flash death has finally come. Lots of games' starting screens replaced by Flash is Dead icon, not just here but across the Internet. I'm surprised it took this long actually; I thought this would happen on Jan. 1.

I'm surprised too that the coming maintenance is only expected to be 10-15 mins. Would have thought a change affecting thousands of games would take much longer than that.

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you to armorgames for trying to save these games, and hope this goes well.

• 8 Replies
Tasselfoot
Tasselfoot
804 posts
Chamberlain

Thanks @dietonight

Hundreds of games will still be playable later today, thanks to Ruffle. With hopefully more coming back online soon.

Also massive shoutouts to @Majiik who is the legend behind keeping the site running. He's done an amazing job prepping for this transition for the past few months, which is why the site only needs to be down briefly today.

HalRazor
HalRazor
163 posts
Grand Duke

It is still possible to use Flash (at least with Firefox, maybe other browsers too) if you put your system time to 01.01.2021 and then load the game. There is even a workaround to get the correct date back. But the Flash Games on Armor Games were replaced by an error message "Currently not available", so they are not reachable. I don't understand why? I can still play them on Kongregate or Newgrounds. I hoped to get some badged before they are finally lost, and think others also do not want to use a different site. Is there a way to access the gemes despite of the error message? Does anyone know how to contact an admin ( @Tasselfoot ?), maybe they did not notice that the flash player is still usable?

TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
202 posts
Farmer

AS2 games seem to be playable with Ruffle, but AS3 games seem to be removed from the site entirely. They're not even searchable.

TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
202 posts
Farmer

@HalRazor - Kongregate and Newgrounds both launch their Flash games in desktop apps. They're not bound by the rules of the browser because you don't actually play those Flash games in the browser.

HalRazor
HalRazor
163 posts
Grand Duke

@TharosTheDragon : That's wrong. I use both Newgrounds and Kongregate via the Flash-Player Plugin in Firefox (and it still works with the system-time-workaround).
Yesterday morning, before the games on armor-games were replaced by an HTML-Errormessage, it was also possible to trick the Flash-Player on Armor-Games. Now it is only possible if you have a direct link to the .swf-file. For example, this one works:
https://cache.armorgames.com/files/games/jacksmith-14015.swf
But it is hard to guess such links.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

I have been lagging on games as of yesterday - Is this an issue with the transition? I don't think it's my computer.

TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
202 posts
Farmer

@HalRazor - This is what I see on Newgrounds when I use Firefox and set the date to January 1, 2021. It's the same thing I've been seeing for much of 2020.

https://i.imgur.com/Fuwxpab.png<br />

How are you getting Newgrounds to display Flash games in the browser instead of making you use Newgrounds Player?

HalRazor
HalRazor
163 posts
Grand Duke

@TharosTheDragon When I wrote my comment on wednesday, it showed the Plugin and its error as mentioned in my workaround. Now I also get the screen you uploaded. It seems their site was also updated. But their player has the same problem with the same workaround as the plugin.

Since my comments where I mention the plugin or the other site get deleted, I will not go more into detail. But there is still a way to load games from the big sites in the browser.

Showing 1-8 of 8