ForumsSupport ForumLag caused by ad, and the ad provider possibly getting user's personal data, to possibly sell.

5 182
Gameking1happy
Gameking1happy
9 posts
Nomad

The big ad that goes around the website causes major lag, and seemingly requires more resources than the game I am playing. I at first thought maybe it was something else, but then I was on Fandom, with a similar ad that goes around the website, and guess what? It was laggy when at first I was not logged in, but then I logged in, the ad is now gone, and, oh look, the website went from very slow, to functioning well. It seems whoever provides this type of ad made it require lots of resources, which not only is that bad as it affects game performance a lot, but is also makes it seem like it is doing something more than showing an ad, which is reinforced by the fact that the browser I use (a "getaround blocks browser" ) shows when a website requests to look at files on the computer, and this happens commonly for me on this website right when the ad appears.

• 5 Replies
Tasselfoot
Tasselfoot
804 posts
Chamberlain

Which ad is it? For Lost Ark?

Gameking1happy
Gameking1happy
9 posts
Nomad

And another thing, editing a post shows a "Null" browser-based popup, followed by the website freezing for a bit. (Probably not intended...)

Gameking1happy
Gameking1happy
9 posts
Nomad

Tasselfoot, it is just any ad that goes around the website (so on the sides and top) and doesn't matter on what ad appears.

Gameking1happy
Gameking1happy
9 posts
Nomad

I will note that the ad that does appear is a Mazda ad, however on Fandom it was a different ad, leading me to believe it isn't who purchased the advertising, but whoever provides the ads. Either this or this type of ad is simply not made resource efficient, no matter who the provider is. (Which if this is the case, it still shouldn't be used due to the fact that this is a website with games, so an ad format that makes this normally playable games unplayable should not be used.)

Tasselfoot
Tasselfoot
804 posts
Chamberlain

We took a look at the skins we're seeing on the site, and they do not appear to be any different than what we've been displaying for years now. I'm sorry to hear that they're causing you problems. Do you also have lag when using Chrome or Firefox?

Also, to confirm, the ad is in no way accessing or snooping on your computer or files, besides the cookies that you've agreed to when you're using the site. That would be a pretty big privacy breach if it was doing more.

Showing 1-5 of 5